Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Stand and Retreat

You do not wait for the Taishan Seven to finish preparing. An explosive burst of speed brings you right in front of one of the Taishan disciples, before any of them have the presence of mind to react. Applying the Chuzhan Fist technique, you ground yourself, your feet digging into the dirt as you come to a sudden stop. Your strike throws the Taishan disciple an appreciable distance: you had held nothing back.

That’s one down.

Crouching, you prepare to pounce on your next target before they realize what is going on.

You sense movement in your periphery; whipping around swiftly, you raise your arm to guard. The tip of the metal stave crashes against your forearm: had you not wrapped it in the Wudu spider silk, it would have hurt. Badly. As it is, the force of the blow is enough to lift you off the ground. Your feet skim the ground as you skid backwards, trying to find proper footing. When you come to a halt, you see Su Liaojing in a low stance, his staff extended and held in one hand.

“That is not very sporting of you,” he notes as the remaining six of the Taishan Seven cry out in horror, running to aid their fallen comrade. Trying to ignore the throbbing in your arm, you dust off your sleeve and grin. “Fairness doesn’t matter into it. This is a battle, not a duel. Besides, they said I would lose before the battle started. I just thought I would try to win before it started, in that case.” The Kunlun disciple raises his eyebrows, and then nods. “I see. Victory at all costs, eh?” He straightens his posture and twirls the long staff before resting it over his shoulder. “Leave this to me, Yizhi,” he says. “I don’t think you can beat this person if you are disturbed from Qifu’s defeat. Carry him away for treatment, then see if you can assist any of our other friends.” Taishan One looks at Su, before turning his glare upon you. “Alright, Brother Su. Beat this bastard up for us.”

As the Taishan disciples hurry away, you laugh, noting that the Fire Temple's maidens behind you are already taking the chance to back away to a safe distance. “That is some confidence you have there. Were you hiding your true strength during the youth tournament? As I recall, you lost to the Fire Cult’s Holy Maiden, who then lost to me.”

Su Liaojing just shrugs, his demeanour not the least bit shaken by your boast. “In terms of physical ability and neigong you are superior to me in every way, and your technical skill is no slouch. Even with the Ruyi Staff I am not confident of beating you in a duel. However, as you have just so aptly demonstrated, this is a battle, not a duel… and a battle is not always about who is stronger, but how a person fights.” He grips the long staff with both hands. You watch his stance intently – the incredible reach of that staff is something you are not used to, though even he admitted that you are outright better. Su Liaojing of Kunlun shouldn’t be too hard to defeat.

It would take him some time to swing that staff of his, and since you managed to get to the first Taishan disciple before he intercepted you, you should be able to overwhelm him with your speed.

Your body surges forward.

He moves his staff up to block.

You stop your movement, crouching even lower to the ground. He has been faked out, and the look on his face shows you that he knows it. His timing has been thrown off, and he is open for your attack. You dart forward, faster than before, under his guard.

Drawing your arm back, you prepare to rake his legs out from under him.

A strange-looking satchel falls in front of you.

“Careful, Xu Jing. You better block this,” you hear Su Liaojing mutter, as he strikes the satchel with his staff with a dexterous spin. It was you who had fallen for a feint.

You raise your arms up at his words, but it is not enough. There is a loud bang. A blinding light floods your sight. A wave of heat washes over you, hot enough to lightly singe your skin. As you stumble back, disoriented by the noise and light and heat, a powerful strike hits you right in the stomach, knocking all the wind out of you. A relentless rain of blows assaults you from all sides, giving you no time to recover. Then, you take another blow to the skull, strong enough to fell you. Your head is spinning as you crawl to your knees like a drunk. Unable to right yourself at all, you drop to the ground and roll over on your back. As your vision clears, you see Su Liaojing standing over you, his staff held high.

“I’ll knock you out, then tie you up somewhere safe where you cannot interfere, Man Tiger Pig. It’ll be over quickly.” Still groggy from his attack, you try to raise one arm weakly to defend yourself, but he shakes his head. “Stay-“

He freezes up, his staff still raised over his head. You can see his eyes darting around frantically and muffled, choking noises crawling from his throat, but he is otherwise rooted to the spot, unable to move a muscle.

“Good thing a battle isn’t strictly a one-on-one affair either,” you wheeze, getting to your feet shakily. Cao’er appears from behind Su Liaojing, scowling at you. “…you got careless.”

“Yes, I know,” you sigh, shaking your head. “Thanks for the save. I didn’t think an orthodox pugilist would play such a trick, though that was a rather impressive toy… Where’s Qilin?” Cao’er points ahead of her, a worried look on her face. “We were attacked by the Fire Cult on our way here. She stayed back to let me escape.” You clench your teeth and curse that idiot girl in your mind for adding more to your troubles. “No time to waste,” you say quickly. “But before that…”

You begin stripping Su, who has by now resigned himself to his humiliating fate and only stares blankly ahead. You find what you are looking for in no time. The word ‘fire medicine’ is written neatly on the satchel, with instructions in small print. “This should be useful,” you say to yourself. “Come on, let’s go!”

The battle appears to have changed rather significantly; the combatants have separated and arrayed themselves into two camps, Fire Cult and Eight Sects. Shaolin and Emei have arrived, bringing with them three masters: the leaders of Huashan, Taishan and Kunlun. It looks like they were lucky enough to survive the fall. Cao’er’s grandmother and her friends from Wudang, Shaolin and the Beggar Sect are nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, two of the Fire Cult’s Amesha Spenta appear to have made it out too. One of them is tending to a tall, wounded man in regal robes – probably their lord, you think. You are not sure just exactly what has happened with the Eight Sects' masters and the Fire Temple's Amesha Spenta, but that can wait. The other has a hand clamped firmly around Qilin’s neck; a threatening posture, if you ever saw one.

You see the Sword Saint positioned in between both camps, sitting on top of a fallen Vahista while making a suddenly servile Bai Jiutian pour him wine. His disciple is standing by him, looking uneasily at both sides.

Angry shouts are being traded between the Fire Cult and the Eight Sects; you do not know why exactly the Fire Cult are holding Qilin as a hostage, but perhaps they think she can be a shield to cover their escape. You have no idea what the Sword Saint is thinking either, lounging around lazily in the middle of the field and drinking.

“Can you hit the one holding Qilin with your needles from here?” you ask Cao’er.

“No,” she shakes her head. “…too far.”

You see Nie Wuxing, the head of the Huashan Sect, walk past the Sword Saint, the both of them ignoring each other though the Huashan man gives the lazy swordsman a brief glance of disgust. Going closer to the Fire Cult lines, he draws his sword, holding it up in the air. The man holding Qilin hostage shoves her to the fore threateningly, but the master of Huashan does not even spare her a glance. Is he about to order an attack?

A. You join the Sword Saint in the middle for a drink and attempt to distract both sides from their fight. Hopefully this will keep Qilin safe for a little while longer until you manage to think up a way to free her from the Amesha Spenta. It would be best if no one did anything stupid in the meanwhile.

B. You wait from a distance and see what happens. It would be too rash to go down there right now, hurting as you are. Surely the Sword Saint will not let anything bad happen? You will bide your time and try to rescue Qilin when you see a better opportunity.

C. You run in, appealing to the Fire Cult that you are not their enemy, that they have your friend in their hands, and that it is futile of them to keep Qilin hostage. Hopefully they will listen. You don’t think that Nie Wuxing will stop just because some Wudu Cult girl is in danger: keeping her hostage is pointless.

D. With the help of the fire medicine you just obtained, you will jump in and take back Qilin from their hands with a quick and speedy distraction. You don’t trust anyone here, not the Fire Cult, nor the orthodox pugilists, nor even the Sword Saint. The only way to save her is by your own hands.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, he certainly didn't intercept us mid-flight. Glad we didn't go with C. :lol:
    treave, where are the Fire Cult girls, back in their camp?

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yes. They ran first chance they got.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Clever girls, I'm confident that it gives us a foot in the Cult's door with C so that's what I vote. I am open to a D flop, but I've been rearing for a second chance to explore these guys for a while now and this is the last one we'll get, I think. If it saves Qilin's ass and gets us closer to Yunzi, all the better.

And I knew that a guy accepted as Ahura Mazda wouldn't die to a punk-ass mountain.

Another question: how come our sneak attack didn't give us a single unorthodox point?

^ Top  
  5. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    The Sword Saint is hilarious. How could I not join him and make Bai Jiutian pour me a drink? (Yes, I know somebody is going to do something stupid in the meanwhile. Regardless, A.)

^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well that went fairly well.

A

No great argument for it, but I imagine Jing could use a drink.

I don't like waiting in B, I am not sure they will listen in C (though it would be my second choice), and I am not sure what would happen in D. We are fast but he does have his hand to her
    throat and he may immediately kill her if we attack with the fire medicine. Hopefully the Saint has a plan here.

So...

A>C>D

Edit:

I would not mind finding more out about the Cult and what happened during the battle. It does seem
    suspicious that none of the frathouse survived while the "hostile" sect heads made it out. I don't trust the sects so the only ones with answers are the Cult.

C>A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, Shagguan has a great plan: stall until his BRO Zhang Jue arrives. Then kick ass together.

Our drinking skill is 1, though.

^ Top  
  8. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well then that settles it...

Vote A for +1 drinking... ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: Not this shit again. Can we get some stir fry going for LORD Zhang Jue's arrival?

But seriously, I don't thing Shagguan is neutral anymore: he obviously picked BJ and the sects over Vahista and the Cult. I'm not sure what we can do there.

^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well that ended anticlimactically. Anyway, I think I'm going with A.

Jing may not be the best fighter in the country, and he is definitely not the smartest either. But when it comes to making a distraction there are very few better then him.

^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    A uncommented.

b4 the voting drama kicks in

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A distraction to what end, though? What are we looking to get out of A, except lulz?
    Saving the girls definitely gives us a foot in the door with the Cult, they will speak up for us, and it nets us an ally, gets us closer to Yunzi (even though Mister Cockblock is in the neighborhood) and will save Qilin.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    A drink.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    We're fucked, the only Orthodox leaders around are the dickish leaders of the dickish sects. No Frathouse in sight, they would've solved this shit right away.
    Did we just get beat by some staff-toting nancy? Move this man up in our list.

I will vote later.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Persian araq> rice wine.

^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    No, a drink is a drink is a drink is a drink. Right now, I'd say we need one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Seems like a bad time for it, what with Qilin's life hanging in the balance and Nie Wuxing about to order a full-on charge. And we have no certainty on where Shagguan stands, the guy did just aid BJ against Vahista, so he may not be so neutral any more.

I suppose A could be good for one thing: stalling for LORD Zhang Jue's arrival. I'd'd still rather secure Qilin's life and an alliance with the cult, saving those girls and then forgoing the benefits like this seems kinda dumb to me.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Well, that went about as well as could be expected. Perhaps if we'd been more proper about that business we could have actually gotten to convincingly face the Taishan and prove that Jing's better than them in a fight, get a better idea of how their formation works, etc., but as it is we just made them hate Jing intensely for no return greater than some of that fancy fire medicine. It can't be claimed that he even beat the Kunlun guy properly, now we'll have to waste time tracking down those losers to beat all of them up properly.

Anyway, for this vote, C. With Jing's girlfriend in a chokehold and the head of Huashan about to declare some nonsense, I think it's pretty bad to just sit down for a drink and hope that everything will get better. We saved those girls and built up a bit of credibility with the Fire Cult, let's put it to use now-- them taking Qilin hostage doesn't help out either side, them thinking that holding her will prevent any fighting from taking place when the orthodox don't care won't turn out well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    A.
    And make it as :obviously: as possible.

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    If A actually wins it'll be so very disappointing, though at least better than B. We have the option to bother using Jing's charisma and brownie points with the cult from saving those girls to secure the release of our girl-- or alternatively painfully sparkly fire nonsense from the same, though I feel that's stupider and more likely to piss them off in addition to the Fire Cult probably being less concerned around fire-- and instead we ignore her plight to drink with the Sword Saint because of, let's see, "Jing needs a drink," "make Bai Juitian pour me a drink," (as if that'd actually happen) and maybe waiting on Zhang to make everything better. That's a pretty fucking terrible husband-to-be in my book.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It seems that this 'fire medicine' is actually gunpowder, which is fucking awesome if true.
    To be fair, I think that that's the only way we can make A work: stall for LORD Zhang.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Bai Jiutian stepped backwards, panting hard. She He flicked his sword sideways before returning to his stance. This was the hardest fight he had ever encountered in his life, and had Vahista not been injured during the battle at the cliff, he doubt he would have lasted this long. Still, he was tiring - the fiery qi attacks launched by the enemy were burning at him both inside and outside. He grit his teeth - as unwilling as he was, he might actually have to use that move.

Vahista stepped forward slowly, hands held low. The heavy metal rings circled around his wrists, clinking against each other. The air shimmered around him as he moved. Shaking the loose strands of hair away from his face, Bai Jiutian gripped his sword tightly, concentrating wholly on his opponent.

"This is getting rather too silly for my tastes. Come, stop this boring fight. It would be far more interesting to sit, drink and talk. Well, more drinking, at any rate." A lazy drawl interrupted his focus. He turned to look, Vahista mirroring his actions, and saw a mild-mannered man walking towards them. His hands were bare, the only weapon about him a large, black sword strapped to his back. “Who are you?” challenged Vahista.

Bai Jiutian widened his eyes, recognizing the identity of the man before him. Shangguan Chuji, the reclusive Sword Saint. “Master Shangguan,” he called out carefully, “I understand.” He sheathed his sword, causing Vahista to raise his eyebrows in surprise. Bai Jiutian had seen the Sword Saint fight before: if the man said he wanted the fight to stop, it would be a smart decision to heed his words.

Vahista, on the other hand, had clearly not met the man before. He charged forward, perhaps thinking to defeat the sleepy-looking man before he could interfere with his duel now that Bai Jiutian had stepped back. The young Huashan swordsman could understand why: the Sword Saint emanated no threat or killing intent of the sort. Gauging his true ability was nearly impossible.

The Sword Saint sighed, raising two fingers in front of him while placing his other hand behind his back. “Attack. Sweeping chop from above with both arms. Counter. Style one hundred and two. The frozen lake imprisons the full moon.”

It was over in the blink of an eye. The Amesha Spenta was slumped over, unconscious, a criss-crossing pattern of cuts left deep in the ground around him. Bai Jiutian felt a bead of sweat roll down his forehead… the Sword Saint had done all of that in a split second without even drawing his sword. He had barely felt the swordmaster’s qi shift.

Shangguan Chuji nonchalantly strolled up to the fallen Vahista and sat himself on the body. “So, what are you waiting for? Bring me some wine,” he gestured at Bai Jiutian. “I hear the Huashan Sect never goes anywhere without bringing at least two tankards. Brother Nie should have cultivated a fine stock this year.”

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'm pretty sure that gunpowder, especially gunpowder of this time, wouldn't be quite that quick and potent with heat and light even if it had been suddenly invented... I mean, Qilin had some blinding light powder or something like it, I have no idea what it is but some similar materials apparently exist without quite being gunpowder. There's the off chance that he's a genius or something, but Kunlun was supposed to be good with herbalism, yes?

Is there any chance you could revert to typing out Lord Zhang instead? The all-caps start to grate after a while.

^ Top  
  25. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    On another matter, am I the only one whom seems that satchel to be suspicious. With all this fairness attitude, why does a Orthodox guy carry this with him into a tournament? The moment they prepared for the event no one could know it would turn into a war, unless they planned to turn it into a war beforehand.

Even more so that it has some suspiciously unsuspicious label?
    Coincidence? Or is there more to it?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)