Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Where's Guo Fu by the way?

^ Top  
  2. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    I can't help but wonder how this whole thing would have gone down had we joined the Wudang.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Indeed. :butthurt:

^ Top  
  4. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    We were intercepted before we could take another one down, so yes, we were intercepted.
    Yeah, I'm sure that will be super useful. :roll:
    You are right, forgot about that. No, I'm not dramatizing for the sake of dramatizing.:roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh Lambchop, you sour old goat, you.
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I believe we do:
    He does not want the fight to continue, and have taken action against the ones who do.

It would redirect the violence to him. Which is the whole point of 'distraction'.

Again, they don't need us pointing out that Qilin does not belong to the orthodox sects, Yunzi can do it just as well, and she does not need anyone vouching for her. If she didn't, or if she did, but was ineffective, I don't see us affecting much.

The point was to disable the formation.
    I am sure that if Jing took six of them down, you could argue that he was intercepted before he could take down all seven, but ultimately we made the Taishan Heroes flee with this move.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Except that Yunzi may not know Qilin all that well, who she is exactly and the like. If we barter our assistance for her life, assistance in helping them GTFO, I believe they'll agree because they are exchanging a definite advantage over a useless hostage. If Shagguan wants to stop violence, he can prevent the sects from attacking and/or buy the Cult enough time to escape. There is absolutely nothing good that can happen the longer these two groups are in close proximity, especially with us trolling in the middle of it. They can hate on us all they want, but Jing isn't the one who started this mess so I don't see how our presence in A affects the situation positively at all.

^ Top  
  8. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    If Codex spent days discussing how many guys we should fight I think it will take weeks for us to decide an actual important choice. I guess if I make it back by Easter I might be just in time for another update.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Didn't Jing face off against some of the guys in the 100 man match? Well, whatever. If Jing isn't a blip compared to their strength, why would they care if he walks over to the Fire Cult? If the Sword Saint is the one currently keeping the peace, then the peace doesn't depend on Jing and he should use the time the Sword Saint is buying to try to achieve his goal. If the Sword Saint is the only one that they fear, why would Jing stopping by to have a drink with him affect their choice either way?

Jing is pretty decent at negotiation (though the Codex generally discards it in favor of trolling, as it's starting to look right now...) and he has probably the best stance for it right now. He's outside of the cult heirarchy so he can actually speak up to the ruler, he's established that he's not an orthodox jerk and has helped to save some of their members, and can point out that holding onto their target won't actually get them anywhere. Trolling and distraction won't help Qilin escape when she's in the chokehold of a high-level cult member.

I really don't like the situation if A wins. We should all know by now that Jing's luck means that he has to work for himself in order to get decent results rather than waiting for them to drop in his lap, why do you think it'll be any different if he just starts guzzling wine between these two sides?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And standing in the middle of two belligerent crowds who can boil over at any second and trolling everyone while your girl's life hangs in the balance is a pretty dumb idea. What are the concrete advantages of A?

^ Top  
  11. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Not if we took down six, no. Then we could say that we did defeat them, or at least six of the seven. +1 to our rep as a bad ass. As it stands, we got one sneak attack in on them. Not a real victory. And sure, objective achieved, but the guy still stepped in, so everyone who said he'd just stand there was wrong. A minor point, so I don't want to waste any more time debating the meanings of words with you. The overall point is that we didn't achieve a real victory over any of these guys - not the seven and not this guy - and we ended up flat on our back. You think Zhang will be pleased that a little nun saved our ass? It was a victory in the sense that their threat was neutralized, but not in any other sense. Geez, have to telegraph this shit...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    She spent about a month around her with the Emei. At the very least she knows that she is one of our wives, and she knows of our reputation among the orthodoxes.

I'd say she is smart enough to connect the dots.

Bai Jiutian, who was an official leader of the pugilists until recently, is against the fighting because he is afraid of the Saint's power. I'd think most of them are not entertained by the prospect of facing him, either. But we are fair game. We present a 'safe' target for them to vent their anger against.

It adds another reason, a personal one, to attack the Fire Cult that has a disciple of the Maniac in their ranks. Especially so for Nie Wuxung.

The 'peace' is currently crumbling. Now that Bai Jiutian is no longer in charge, Nie Wuxung have taken the lead. He has a personal grudge against us. Our presence might distract him from starting a battle - and Cao'er might have an opportunity to free Qilin in the meantime.

Please list them. Everyone was positive he will retaliate.
    I know you are not content with the outcome, and neither am I, to be honest, but the points you've brought up in the original post were off the mark.

^ Top  
  13. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Are you shitting me? No. I'm not wading through that mess of discuss. Yes, people said it. People thought he'd retaliate, but only after we had finished our fight with the seven. Don't believe me? How about you go through, make a list of everyone in the thread, everyone's points in each of their posts and tally the number that did/didn't. And while you are at it, go to the doctor and get some assbugers meds because if you are willing to do that, then you need them.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Tribute Scholar

Tribute
    Those were the heads of some minor kung fu schools, not any of the Eight Sects.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Again, "mights" and "what ifs", not something to gamble her life over. Look, all I'm saying is this:
    There are too many variables to review on a case-by-case, so let's skip that part. Bottom line is, Jing is extremely unorthodox and disliked by all the sects present here, so his participation in A will not do any good at all, I think, in terms of pacifying anyone. Nie Wuxing is just as likely to question the Saint's allegiance and neutrality with us standing right besides him (remember, we are the Loki to their Asgard) and him doing nothing, as he is to rage at us for stripping Nie Mudan. That is, if he doesn't go through with his original plan of "fuck some cultists up" while Qilin is still there in the crossfire. So, yeah, I feel pretty damned justified in saying that A is an extremely shaky chance of rescuing Qilin, there is no denying that, and that actually picking the Cult's side is a much better option for her and helping them escape.

And since we couldn't care less about the UNBROs present, I see no reason to not make such a deal with the Ahura Mazda. Yunzi was aching to invite us to their place, so here we are.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
    Do you guys seriously think that they will just cough up Qilin just because we tell them she isn't useful to them?

I admit up front, that all of this is speculation, but I think they they will try to make us into a scapegoat. If their "hostage" has no power over the orthodox sects, why would we try to free her if not because she has some power over us. We have already shown them that we will fight against the orthodox sects, so I foresee them using Qilin as an impetus to cover their retreat like a "Oh, we will give her back to you if you fight/kill that man coming up to us." The don't care about our skill level or being outmatched. If we have to die for them to get away, they wouldn't mind. We are nothing to them. If you guys think that Yunzi-kins and the maidens will rush up and say how we are their savior, then you need to rethink your position. We are just as useless to them as Qilin is, and we are telling them that they have something to use against us.

Even if we can get her back, this is not a diplomacy option for us. We couldn't even get the lesser sects to stop attacking the pirates and that was before we had gone full retard unorthodox. We have the exact same persuasion skill that we did back then too and even less of a reason for them to stop fighting. The orthodox sects will not give a flying fuck about what we have to say. They already don't trust us to fight a fair fight or tell them the truth, let alone enough to listen to our pleas for peace. If anything us standing against them will give them more than enough reason to kill us right now.

Their leaders are gone, and they are out for blood. The only leadership that they do have hate us. I say we stick with the one guy who can protect us and follow his lead.

Also SWORDS

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Suuure, you are totally not gambling on them listening to you when even Yunzi does not have a say in this.
    'Hopefully' is so much a better word than 'might' and 'what if'.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Nevill's refutation of Kipeci makes the most sense so far. C, and I'll return to DISCUSS! soon.

^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Nie Wuxung didn't recognize us while we were holding a direct conversation with him in the alternate timeline and you expect him to recognize Jing from far off while he's talking to the Fire Cult? I'd also be fascinated as to how in the world Cao'er would free Qilin from a chokehold by one of the strongest warriors that the Fire Cult has to offer! Please, explain.

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, obviously the Cult will ask for something in return, most likely our assistance in their escape, and I see no problem with giving it. And it's impossible to make Jing into a scapegoat in a situation like this, when he had nothing to do with the mountain collapsing in the first place. All in all, C looks like a simple exchange: Qilin for Jing's, the guy who is stronger than their top young fighter (as far as they know), assistance, which there are no problems with.
    And fuck cowering behind Shagguan (with BJ right by our side, might I add) while Qilin is about to die, we must do something proactive. A is the farthest thing from that. I still don't see what we're holding out for, except a miracle or LORD Zhang Jue's arrival* and trolling the belligerent crowds, one of whom hates us and the other just wanting to GTFO and will fight for it if it has to. Like, what's the point?

*To be fair, that will solve all of our problems.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He is standing near the Saint (he passed him by just now). We are heading to the Saint to drink with him, so we'll be close enough.

And just like in the alternate timeline, Bai Jiutian is going to recognize us, and shout our name for everyone to hear.

Cao'er can not free Qilin because she is too far. That was her reasoning, not that he was lightning fast, super strong or anything else. Therefore, we need to get closer.

If she could paralyze Yang Xue, one of the Amesha Spenta is no match for her.

I'd say dwawing everyone's attention from the battle and the hostage to us is proactive enough. B is the passive choice. If they are not watching Cao'er or the hostage, it raises Qilin's chances to escape.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    There's more Amesha Spentas where this one came from, and they are physically closer to Qilin than we are. Sure, she can maybe paralyze one, but then what?
    Uh, not in C we're not, we're going the completely opposite direction.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Only one Amesha Spenta is holding Qilin by the throat. If he is down, Qilin is free to run for her life.

Yes we are in A, we are heading in the middle of the battlefield where the Saint is sitting on Vahista and where everyone can see us.

^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I don't care about your distraction (great way to get Jing skewered, by the way) but rather your reasoning that us walking over to the Fire Cult will get an attack started. If he doesn't recognize us from a distance and BJ is occupied serving wine to the Sword Saint, where is he going to get the idea that we're Xu Jing and then decide to rush and attack immediately despite the Sword Saint having told everyone to chill out?

And all the other guys next to them that are also active and super strong? Your plan is to also attack the fire cult to rescue her? I'm pretty sure that that's not what A implies.

Yang Xue could only be paralyzed after a long battle with many others attacking him at once while there was also a convenient vest to hold all those immobilizing pins in place and so on. These guys are very tough, also on par with the leaders of the Eight Sects, and you think Cao'er can paralyze them from halfway across the field with no other support and Qilin can just run off?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Kipeci hit the nail on the head, completely agreed with him.
    So...how is that a point against C?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)