Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And that may be true, but what it does, if successful, is guarantee Qilin being taken out of the middle of this situation and to safety. Which is all we really need. Anyway, we've been DISCUSSing for over five pages and I still don't see what gives A it's superiority in terms of Qilin's safety, all I've gathered so far is "they'll make us help them in return for her life!" "b-but Nie Wuxing will order a charge the moment he sees us!" and "Yunzi couldn't negotiate her release (not that she even tried or was in a position to do so in the first place, mind you)," "wait for a miracle to happen! (the only way I can see this working out is LORD Zhang Jue making an appearance on the tamed Yamata no Orochi)" and "b-but Fire Cult are icky!"

^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    They don't strike me as anything really since we've passed up every single opportunity to talk to them and it looks like we're about to do the same again so that we can go drinking. But considering how them strongarming Jing into helping them wouldn't really affect any fight where it mattered (that being the top tier) I don't think that they'd want to burn that many bridges just so that they have his assistance this one time and then his hatred for the rest of the future when they have very few friends in this land.

A pugilist on their side in anything is looking pretty rare, I think they'll take what they can get.

Exactly. If it's not, they don't guard her, and she's free to go... so, essentially, it'd be like them just allowing her to leave and yet they'd have pissed Jing off by saying that they'd kill her or whatever if he doesn't fight with them, as opposed to letting her go and asking him to stick with them if he would or something.

Jing can crush five regular guys in two seconds flat, those guys being sure that Jing wouldn't just make off with Qilin would have to be able to ensure that she couldn't survive if Jing did anything but help them, including if Jing went straight to attack them.

Sure, maybe they say that they'll release her and ask a favor or something in return and we get a choice whether to go along with it or not or something like that. I think that that's a lot better than just going on over to drink and hope that 'something' happens, and furthermore that that something is lucky for Jing.

I don't think Qilin is going to be too impressed with Jing if he went off to drink at this critical time, and I don't think her family would, either. Their approval has historically resulted in them deciding to teach Jing new skills and so on, their disapproval... well, I think that'd be more prickly.

^ Top  
  3. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Voting A so Jing can think of a better idea.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Honestly, I think that if you don't like any of the options present, then B is the best choice, it's all about keeping your options open and waiting for an opening. Which leads me to an interesting idea: maybe B isn't as horrible as we all think it is? If Shagguan has a plan in coming out here, then Jing's trololoing will only throw a wrench into it and fuck everything up, our reputation and standing among the orthodox sects being what it is. All of our choices kinda do suck a bit (even if I still prefer C over the rest of them) so maybe letting him do his thing and biding our time for an opening on Qilin is the best thing for her safety?

^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I wonder if the Sects order an all out charge, will the Sword Saint just sit there and keep drinking. If that was the case you'd think he'd have simply up and left - or not interfered at all. He clearly has some interest in steering the outcome, which doesn't quite align with 'help the sects indiscriminately'. A avails ourselves as a resource for him to make use of, and/or potentially allows us to steer an outcome where we can have the Sword Saint help - he's probably our best shot for just about any quick solution.

B is also potentially useful, though the Nie guy approaching makes it sound like time is not on our side.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You would be closer to Nie Wuxing than the Fire Cult in A. He is standing just a bit in front of the Sword Saint.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    He obviously isn't in it for either side, at least as of yet, but treave debunked my previous speculation on that topic. However, we really aren't the best guy to help Shagguan with a "diplomatic" solution with the Sects, BJ and Nie Wuxing especially. Given our history with them, I don't think that they will be inclined to reason with Shagguan if we're right next to him, hiding behind his back while trolololing everyone. I think that all we'll accomplish is aggravating everyone...and then what?
    Which makes me think it is a point in favor of C: while we negotiate for Qilin's safety, Shagguan will keep the orthodoxes at bay since neither us or the cult are making any violent moves.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    We were more wondering if the two sides are close enough that the Orthodox guys would be able to hear what we were saying to the Fire Cult if we went with C. I was thinking no, Nevill seemed to be of the mind that the two sides would be close enough to hear everything we said clearly.

Edit: Anyway, A voters, would any of you be willing to at least talk to some of the Fire Cult folks in the future if not this particular choice? I know we've long since passed up on the opportunity to gallivant around with them as a member, but I'd want to at least talk to them to get a sense of what they're like in the time to come. I'm just afraid that we're going to pass up every single opportunity until we have some horribly wrong idea of what they'd be like. (Can you imagine how paranoid we'd be of Wudang's master if we hadn't actually talked to him?)

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It really wouldn't matter. Nothing you say to the Fire Cult is going to sway their opinion of you for the better anyway.

All it takes is for one of the Taishan Seven to shout out your identity, if they haven't already told everybody about their encounter with you. That eye-patch and hair means you're rather easy to identify and describe.

Why would you be concerned with what the orthodox sects think when the choice has you talking to the Fire Cult?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    There's a fear here that, should Nie Wuxing and the rest of the orthodoxes see us negotiating with the Cult for Qilin's release, they'll immediately go for a charge and even Shagguan won't be able to do a thing to stop them, and we won't get enough time to negotiate for Qilin's life in the first place because of that.

^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Basically that. I don't personally care what the Orthodox would think about us meeting up with them, but others think that that'll result in a charge so that we won't even get to talk to the Fire Cult people.

^ Top  
  12. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Or maybe it's Jing that he is waiting for, since he saw Jing and Qilin together and knows Jing is not likely going to abandon her.

I think the Sword Saint is our best option to free Qilin. If the cult thinks Qilin is worthless, why would they keep her alive and not kill her on the spot? All it takes is a little squeeze. And if they see a pugilist coming to negotiate for her, then they see she is worth something and will hold on for her.

A.

^ Top  
  13. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Why kill her for absolutely no reason when that just pisses everyone off? The Fire Cult wants to demonstrate that they can bring law and order to the land, randomly killing people for absolutely no reason is not the way to go about that. Do you think that these guys just eat kittens in their spare time or something?

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not quite what I meant. Obviously, the interaction with her just started, they have not yet realized who Qilin is and exactly how worthless to the Sects she is. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a pugilist coming to negotiate for her," we are decidedly not from the Sects' camp and we are not negotiating for their behalf. Shagguan can buy us time for us to get our foot in through the door via the girls we saved and Yunzi, since if the Cult doesn't make any overt hostile moves, I doubt he will allow the Sects do do so, and negotiate something from there. If it means we help them escape for her life, then so be it.

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Much discuss again. Only two choices are in the running again. I hope we accomplish some of our goals this time. Im not fond of any of the options. Drawing everyone's attention is what we do best, so A.

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    When was the point where Jing became such an attention whore?

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Damned if I know.

^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    It's always falling down to Jing showing up with a trollface plastered on in recent times. Fuck, I wish tiger-wrestling had won.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Kipeci I'm fine with learning more about the Fire Cult when we can, and thought we should have gone for Yunzi or Guo Fu in the fight, but in this situation "wanna learn more these guys sound cool" is woefully inadequate when facing a group which thinks "hey here's a guy who has always been part of the jianghu and could have met up with us but didn't and now wants us to give up the hostage and this is a very tense situation and we really don't have time for this" etc.

The Tournament. Jing's not an attention whore, but MTP is.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I was explicitly not talking about the situation right now, but I don't see why we couldn't make something come out of it with 7 CHA and 5 Speech. We may have always been a part of the jianghu, but we're the very rare part of it that has been neutral to friendly rather than hostile to the Fire Cult and have just come off of helping some of their members. I think they would be more interested than anyone in knowing whether or not their hostage is going to be useful.

I personally think that reasons like 'Jing needs a drink' are woefully inadequate for going with A when his wife-to-be is in a chokehold when Jing could try to actually do something about it, so it's clear that exchanging what we think is woefully inadequate about the other's choice isn't going to get us anywhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I voted A mostly on the basis that the Sword Saint is way more capable of ending this with minimum bloodshed than Jing is.

^ Top  
  22. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    A because both sides suck so going down our own path in the middle makes the least, but the most sense. gotta use that -395 for something.

Sword saint will sort stuff out, or the rest of the leaders will pop up and sort it out, or Zhang will show up and cause chaos, but we're not near the biggest fish in the pond right now.

And going drinking doesn't mean sitting back with litres of wine, may not actually drink anything, its more to do with the attitude and intent. (Bonus points if we do get a drink and Sword Saint makes BJ pour it for us)

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I have this odd feeling that Shagguan is stalling for Lord Zhang's arrival and once he gets here, both will pull on the biggest trollfaces and settle this the only way that makes sense: declaring another tournament.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Great, so let him do that while we negotiate for Qilin's release. If he's going to end this and establish a peace, we can grab her back while he works his magic. He doesn't need us lingering around and starting shit with BJ.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Saves Qilin, and lets us get into the fighting we missed the first time! Perfect!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.