Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Berekän, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    spectre Jeskai (w/u/r) control discussion on ChannelFireball:

https://www.channelfireball.com/art...avnica-brews-dimir-dredge-and-jeskai-control/
    I realized that I pulled a full playset of Death Barons already, guess I will try to make zombies work in Golgari.

Also, I'm starting to like the Dimir cards more and more. Muldrotha's going to be hard to trim down.

UPDATE:
    Put together all of my u/b/r legendaries together and made a historic dragons deck after realizing that I've basically pulled all of the u/r legendary dragons. Did pretty well with it today, for some reason people often concede after I cast either Bolas or Nev-Mizzet. Nev-Mizzet is not hard to hard cast at all. Only loss was to double The Eldest Reborn, after my own Eldest Reborn had been Thought Erasured. Fuck that card. Also finishing people off quickly with Punches! In this deck I've only punched for 13 (Traxos with the Blackblade) but I can see making a Dino punch deck as well. See, Punch is a WAY better direct-to-dome damage spell than Risk Factor.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

ez

Edit: I did it again today lmao. That's 2/2. Wish they let you choose the packs tho, got enough Ravnica by now.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
  4. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Why some people play them cancer blue and teferi decks, who hurt them. Honorable second place in this autism race goes to White token players, that take about 10 minutes each turn to resolve every single proc they get.

Good thing I don't play paper magic I guess, I'd probably end up fighting people playing this Nexus of fate bullshit. Speaking of which, I already got meself a proper mono-green rape wagon with hexproof and shit, now I need something to wreck them Teferi decks with, I'd imagine some variation of U/B should do the trick with duress and all that jazz? Anyone got any ideas or resources where I can check out relevant info on current meta and whatnot.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Teferi and planeswalkers are easier to deal with now since its a lot easier to jam 4 Assassin's Trophies into your deck than Vraska's Contempt. Then there is always Socerous Spyglass, the pre-emptive solution, which can also shut down those cunt lands like Azcanta and Journey to Eternity. I really like the Abzan control deck that 5-0 MODO Competitive league:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1384170#paper

That's a no fucking around non-blue control deck. 4 Eldest Reborn as the main win condition, LOVE IT.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    Your instincts are probably all right. The Magic Negro likes a full set of Duress and Thought Erasure. Follow up with Unmoored Ego for bonus points.
    Or just go with Plaguecrafters. It's a nice, versatile and conveniently priced uncommon.

Mono Red pretty much rolls over every teferi deck out there, unless they preside heavily (Shalai, Lyra, additional lifegain), so there's that.

My personal favorite is blowing up teferis with Banefire. If they take their sweet time setting up the perfect counterspell backup, the magic negro lands on turn 7 with 5 loyalty counters,
    which means if you keep up with the mana drops, there's nothing they can do about it. It's also a way to get back at them after a big settle the wreckage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    Really starting to hate the client because it's so easy to accidentaly run two executables of MTGA.

P.S.
    Is there any way to modify basic decks to make them more competitive btw?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. illuknisaa Learned

illuknisaa
    Parrots:
    Yes. You just take the bad cards out and put good cards in. Personally I recommend that you make a new deck because that way you skip the "take bad cards out" -step.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    You mean the starting starters, or thouse you get from quests? The starter ones are all crap (not sure which one sucked the least cause I threw them overboard immediately, perhaps the green one),
    the quest ones are okay if you're starting out and want to get the feel of the game.

Your first step is to check the lands. IIRC some moron put 24 lands there, not counting the shenanigans pulled by the shuffling algorithm in best of one games.
    Anyways, you're not really losing anything by going down with the land count to 22. If the deck has lots of expensive shit in it, go up to 26.

Second step is making sure you wont get mana screwed too often by this shit. Whipping out those sweet sweet wildcards and craft a bunch of Evolving Wilds (common), or Unclaimed Territories
    if you like the tribal shit with MehrVolksgrenadiers or Vampires.

Don't spend any rare wildcards on this crap, because it's only good to lose some gold in Constructed, at best. It's all right to spend some common and uncommon ones to flesh it out a bit so you can grind a bit better with it
    (e.g. if they didn't give you a full set of Legion's Lieutenants or stuff like that).

Look up a real deck on the internets and spend your wildcards there. If some of that cardboard is useful in the starter jank, more power to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    Parrots:
    Even though I don't particularly like card games (except for Etherlords, which is like a card game + HoMM style turn based strategy), I started playing this a few days ago and I'm enjoying it for some reason. Also feels weird to play MTG after playing so many games that it spawned beforehand.

^ Top  
  11. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Magic is fun, at first

A related aside, yesterday I mulliganed 1 land (7 cards) into 0 land (6 cards) into 0 land (5 cards) into 0 land (4 cards) into 1 land (3 cards). Same deck also drew 12 lands, 2 spells by turn 7.

^ Top  
  12. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    Parrots:
    The default merfolk deck you get from playing the daily quests seems broken as fuck. So far I haven't lost a single game with it out of 10 or so and the only game I came close to dying was against an identical merfolk deck. By turn 3 I usually have several little shitters that buff eachother while my enemy has 1-2 mobs that are weaker than any of mine. Is this MTG's noob killer or something?

^ Top  
  13. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Parrots:
    It's probably strongest of the prebuild decks you get for free. If you are using basic prebuild deck, you often get matched against people who also use the basic decks because the matchmaking algorithm takes deck strength into consideration. I don't think this is the case for the events though, so you could try taking it to one of the constructed events and see how you fare there.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Merfolk is the strongest of the Ixalan tribes, but there's so many sweepers in the current meta that they're not going to be viable.

^ Top  
  15. Zer0wing Learned

Zer0wing
    Parrots:
    Vampire tribe starter deck isn't bad either, managed to win an unwinnable game (the opponent that has way bigger board presence and a wincon on the table right there unwinnable) by a healer card topdeck and combo-ed it with Epicure of Blood.

^ Top  
  16. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    Parrots:
    I tried that today and only won 2/7 so I guess it's only good vs noobs after all. 2 of my losses were due to horrible RNG however (didn't draw any mana for several turns).

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Parrots:
    If you have something to sideboard it's better to play the Competitive Constructed Event, so you can mitigate the bad RNG losses since it's BO3. Also you only need 2 wins to get your entry fee back.

^ Top  
  18. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Where did all the rat decks go in singleton:( I ended up having a great record against rats after I put some knights into my deck:(

^ Top  
  19. whydoibother Educated

whydoibother
    Parrots:
    I've been playing this for a few days, never played the printed on paper version.
    I have gathered some of those wildcard tokens that I can use to craft any card, but I can't figure out what to spend them on.
    What are some solid cards that I want to craft with my wildcards, that would fit into more than one deck, and are useful for strong decks? How do I budged my wildcards if I don't intend to ever spend any money on MTG Arena out of principle?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)