Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:
I do gotta admit the more I play with that Nissa the more I kinda dig her. She isn't a complete bomb planeswalker or anything, but the double green from forests can be useful based on your deck, and turning your lands into 3/3s is a nice risk/reward thing. They aren't indestructible so you open yourself up to getting your lands killed, but depending on the match it's fairly worthwhile. Against control you basically never want to animate your land since you need it to refill your hand with krasis, but I just clobbered someone playing RDW since I was able to play a Kiora, then use her untap ability to help get a Nissa out next turn, and then Nissa constantly throwing up 3/3s saved the day. The massive swarms of planeswalkers introduced with WAR is annoying but I am happy that they're mostly of the "Kaya variety", which is to say useful in a certain way without being Teferi/Vivien-like unstoppable rape machines.

I'm still a bit iffy on Kiora in that general list though. She's useful but her passive very rarely triggers since I'm not running the WAR hydras. Doesn't work with the explore package since they can get pumped up to 4 power after entering the battlefield, so it's basically just the mermaid (And maybe krasis, not sure I've played a fat one yet while I had Kiora on the board actually) that can trigger her card draw.

Speaking of the explore package though, I tried that a bit with Bolas's Citadel the other day. Kinda fun. Exploreshit gives you some decent bodies and life gain to protect you against aggro, but if you're against control then all that extra life just ends up being fuel for the citadel. Ends up being a bit similar in function to Arguel's Blood Fast that way but I'm not sure which is better overall. I guess prolly citadel just because artifact removal is marginally more difficult and it has the potential for bonkers frenzy-like turns.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I just tossed all my Grixis good spells, planeswalkers and Bolas with 4X Saheeli, won five straight for my dailies. Hm. Ended up taking out Jaya and poor Tibalt.
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master (M19) 79
1 Ral, Izzet Viceroy (GRN) GR5
1 Ral, Storm Conduit (WAR) 211
1 Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor (WAR) 56
1 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
4 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
2 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager (M19) 218
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
2 Golden Demise (RIX) 73
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Bedevil (RNA) 157
4 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Opt (DAR) 60
3 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
3 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
2 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
5 Island (RIX) 193
Hoping to pull a Karn so I can make an artifacts sideboard

Jason Liang

Arcane
I know it's only beta but ffs they got to learn how to patch instead of reinstalling for every update. The reinstall takes me about 2 hours every time now. This is absurd. Even worse than Path of Exile.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
here in mexico it takes me minutes. imagine being worse off than mexico.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I know it's only beta but ffs they got to learn how to patch instead of reinstalling for every update. The reinstall takes me about 2 hours every time now. This is absurd. Even worse than Path of Exile.
it is not worse. Nothing is worse than poe killing my ssd lifespan
Yes but poe only requires a major patch every three months or so. That is the main reason why I no longer play poe

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so i have 8 rare WCs and i'm terrified of using them because if in the next expansion a new dual land cycle comes out i'm fucked
i know it's early but is there any reason to believe the next expansion might have rare duals?

so i have 8 rare WCs and i'm terrified of using them because if in the next expansion a new dual land cycle comes out i'm fucked
i know it's early but is there any reason to believe the next expansion might have rare duals?
Next set is in July and is core set 2020, and looking up previous core sets on Scryfall since I've been in a MTG-related coma for roughly 20 years it looks like they do sometimes have rare duals in them. M15 was the last core set before the current M19 and had some painlands in it. I would hazard a guess that M20 and maybe even the set after wouldn't have new dual lands though just because we've already got two different sets of dual lands in standard anyway and it'd be fucky to have 3 going at once. Just a guess though, nothing to back it up.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I had a green spells quest so I threw together All-in Ghalta ~
mtga088.jpg

Also: Arena. Arena never changes.
mtga087.jpg

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I wanted to build a saheeli deck but drakes suck balls and I don't want counterspells with saheeli anyway, so here's this rakdos pile
4 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
4 Theater of Horrors (RNA) 213
3 Shock (M19) 156
4 Rix Maadi Reveler (RNA) 109
1 Angrath, the Flame-Chained (RIX) 152
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Sarkhan the Masterless (WAR) 143
2 Carnival // Carnage (RNA) 222
4 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
2 Bedevil (RNA) 157
2 Dreadhorde Invasion (WAR) 86
1 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
4 Cast Down (DAR) 81
4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
3 Mobilized District (WAR) 249
3 Rakdos Guildgate (RNA) 256
7 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Swamp (RIX) 194
I've been jamming it in unranked and it wins! though often due to punts because unranked. Theater of Horrors is what really enables the deck - if you stall the game for long enough, the guy with more phyrexian arenas will win. Also considering splashing white for this very reason - mortify would be a way to kill azcantas, reclamations and acuities.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
jesus this fucking mill deck i've been running in unranked seems broken, I literally never lose it's crazy ez 4 wins per day
What's your mill deck? That the one with the lumbering battlements or whatever they're called?

Nah it's psychic corrosion based. The battlement combo deck is hilarious but it has a far lower win rate

1 Mission Briefing (GRN) 44
4 Psychic Corrosion (M19) 68
4 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
4 Opt (XLN) 65
4 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
3 Prying Eyes (RNA) 46
1 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
6 Plains (RIX) 192
6 Island (RIX) 193
2 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
mtga087.jpg
Say it with me now: If you keep a 1 land hand, you deserve all the pain you get.
... I mulliganed a 1 land hand to a 6 card 1 land hand.
Should have mulliganed again then!

(actually I think it could be possibly ok to keep a 1 land hand in an aggro deck as long as you bottom everything that isn't land with your scry)

Jason Liang

Arcane
mtga087.jpg
Say it with me now: If you keep a 1 land hand, you deserve all the pain you get.
... I mulliganed a 1 land hand to a 6 card 1 land hand.
Should have mulliganed again then!

(actually I think it could be possibly ok to keep a 1 land hand in an aggro deck as long as you bottom everything that isn't land with your scry)
I often keep 1 land hands but the original one was complete garbage. My only land was a mountain and all my spells costed B.

Pulled a Dragon God from a pack, I'm excited. :bounce:

Then reality sets in and I realize that making a grixis deck that runs shit like Nicky B would be expensive as all goddamn fuck and use a million rare (Since I would really fucking want the full manabase and shocks and checks for something like that I wager, though maybe you could cheat a little with interplanar beacons) and mythic (Since from what I've seen if you're playing slow grixis you still want the 4cmc Nicol too) wildcards. Still, glad to have him over another one of the mythic sorceries which mostly don't feel too hot other than the green one. The white one's tolerable too I guess, it's not the worst thing in the world even if you only have 5 mana and shit out 3 2/2 vigilance tokens, even if it's not all that amazing for a mythic.
:negative:

Turns out Dragon God fits in esper control fairly wel, especially when you don't have the perfect manabase with a full compliment of checklands anyway so changing some of those basic lands to dual lands with red doesn't really hurt you at all. Back to excited and I've become what I hate. :bounce:

Still wish I found some deck that really grabbed me by the balls though. Enjoying the game but I haven't seen or thought of any deck that makes me want to blow wildcards on it and play hours of it on end.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There are some great combos but mostly involve cards that will rotate soon like Narset + Induced Amnesia.

Personally I think Vivien --> Carnage Tyrant is pretty sweet. Very few ways to deal with an end-of-turn Carnage Tyrant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom