Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
zombieeeesssss

eBEAig8.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ahhhh I just battled #10 in Mythic, I did ok but he won. Deck was just Fires with cavaliers :/ I wish I made that ages ago but it seems so boring to play. I also didn't think it would get to such a high rank.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ahhhh I just battled #10 in Mythic, I did ok but he won. Deck was just Fires with cavaliers :/ I wish I made that ages ago but it seems so boring to play. I also didn't think it would get to such a high rank.

that deck seems like cavalcade rng.. did I draw my board wipe on time and is opp unable to deal with fires? yay i win
don't see the appeal in these autopilot decks but they're so common

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yep it is just a slightly different version of Cavalcade. Play Fires, play Cavalier of Gales, then play Cavalier of Flames or Kenrith to haste and win. ZzzzzzzzzzzZzZZzzZz

I am pretty motivated to win a lot because the good rank gives a decent reward once a month, and winning consistently helps with daily quests. If I could win even more reliably I would load up on gold from the Standard Event and buy any deck I wanted. But yeah... those auto pilot decks are painful to play, I would rather play some other game. Ideally I would find some control deck that is fun to play and wins a lot but I never found that apart from my gimpy home brews.

spectre

Arcane
I think the biggest appeal is that Mythic drops you to Platinum Tier 4 at the end of the season. Usually crawling out of gold drains all of my stamina for the month, so it just might make it doable to go grind up again.
Rewards wise, that's just one more pack. I'd doubt this alone makes it worth the bother.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hated Underrail :/ And yeah starting from Platinum will be nice although it will still take me a long time to get back. I only play ranked now just cuz it seems the best mode for me. I can't be bothered with drafts, unranked has too many quitters which is probably better for my income but it gets boring winning on turn 2 half the time, and standard event was eating too much gold when my deck wasn't good enough. I should probably do unranked more and just reap the gold.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is this the right place to ask some paper MTG questions?

If i want to get into commander, are the 2019 precons worth a shot? I read mixed reviews on reddit and co but they seem to sell well and the older precons are currently skyrocketing in price.

spectre

Arcane

If i want to get into commander, are the 2019 precons worth a shot? I read mixed reviews on reddit and co but they seem to sell well and the older precons are currently skyrocketing in price.
You may have more success on the other MTG thread, the one that's on page 2. I haven't played paper in a long time, and I don't really intend to.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/magic-the-gathering.74575/page-35

Jeez I kick ass in Mythic but in Unranked I lose 3 in a row :(
i must say that unranked decks got more diverse, thus harder from bo1 netdecks perspective
Yeah, it's that Magical (r) time of the year when a new set has dropped and there weren't any major events to tell people what bandwagon to jump on.

Constructed event is another mystery animal for me nowadays. I tried 4 different decks and can't get past 4 wins.

what do you play in ranked? I keep trying my shitty brews there but it's just not working out, kinda wanna find a deck to climb a bit
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe no one deck is going to be good to go all the way if you want to rank up consistently.
I had a nearly 100% win rate with mono white Heliod just yesterday, stopped 1 pip shy of ranking up.
Today the queue is filled with xWB control and I immediately dropped three pips. Had to dust off UG flash to go up one rank.
If I start seeing cavalcades (though that deck seems to have it bad with almost every deck worth its salt out there), I may turn to UR Flash,
or dust off fires

Standard Bo3 seems to be filled with nothing but fucking Nissa and Uro and I have exactly zero interest of playing that shit for three games.

Jason Liang

Arcane

In short yes. Most of the EDH Precons are very good value, as well as some of the Eldraine Brawl decks if you can find them. If you are serious about Commander though, the best deal is to get either one of the Commander Anthology sets if you can find them at retail or slightly below retail ($100). Either one will give you a useful pool of fairly valuable cards to brew with.

If you just want to play Commander then you should do some research as to which Commander you want to play. Or at least have an idea of which 2-3 color combination you like most.

Since you asked about the 2019 ones specifically, three of the four precons are great value if you can find them at $20-$30 range. However in China the stores (stupidly) mark up Merciless Rage (B/R) even though the most valuable cards are in Faceless Menace (U/B/G) and Mystic Intellect (W/U/R). The one that's bad value is Primal Genesis (W/R/G) but if you can find it below retail at around $15-$20 it is worth it as well.

Basically they all come with some staple EDH cards that go into every EDH deck including 1X Sol Ring and 1X Command Tower. The reason you might want to get an Eldraine Brawl deck as well is because those come with another EDH staple, Arcane Signet. That card alone makes the Eldraine Brawl decks worth it (or at least, 3 of the 4 Brawl decks).

Also in general the 2019 Precons are better than the 2018 Precons since they come with some very nice rare lands. However, the 2018 ones are worth getting for the commanders or if you like the theme, and one of them- Aminatou/ Subjective Reality/ w/u/b - is insanely valuable (mostly because it has Yuriko, Shadow's Claw which is a $10 card. The Saheeli deck also has some expensive exclusive cards, including Retrofitter's Foundry which recently shot up to $16.

To summarize, I would first check if Commander Anthology 2 has any commander's you're interested in. If yes, buy that. If not, check Commander Anthology 1. If still no, I would cherry pick precons in this order, if you can find them at or near MSRP $30 (probably impossible for Swell the Host) -

C14 - Swell the Host (U/G)
C18 - Subjective Reality (U/B/W) <--- this is the best precon for blue
C19 - Faceless Menace (U/B/G)
ELD - Faerie Schemes (W/U/B)
C16 - Entropic Uprising (U/B/R/G)
C16 - Stalwart Unity (W/U/R/G)
C14 - Call the Spirits (B/W) <--- this is the best precon for white
C18 - Exquisite Invention (U/R)
C19 - Mystic Intellect (W/U/R)
C19 - Merciless Rage (B/R)
C15 - W, U <--- Green is included in CMA and Red is included in CM2
C18 - Adaptive Enchantment (W/U/G)

So I will talk about each of the 2019 Precons ~

Faceless Menace (U/B/G)
This precon is easily the best value of the 2019 Precons. It contains many green staples including Seedborn Muse which is a $7 card by itself. It also has an eclusive artifact, Scroll of Fate, that can go into pretty much any deck and is potentially a staple in Legacy. It has a very useful Planeswalker (Vraska), and an insanely powerful excusive blue instant, Sudden Substitution. It has two very cool commanders in Volrath and Rayami and in fact they complement each other very well (with Volrath copying Rayami's abilities). And lastly, it has THREE really nice dual lands (Yavimaya Coast, Llanowar Wastes and Sunken Hollow). In fact I am seriously considering buying a second copy of this precon just for the insane value.

Key cards (28):
Seedborn Muse - green staple
Sakura Tribe Elder - green staple
Den Protector - green semi-staple
Apex Altisaur - exclusive
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Vraska the Unseen
Explore
Farseek
Mire in Misery - exclusive black semi-staple
Reality Shift - blue semi-staple
Cultivate - green staple
Road to Return - exclusive green staple
Leadership Vacuum - exclusive blue staple
Sudden Substitution - exclusive blue chase card
Sol Ring - staple
Strionic Resonator - semi-staple
Scroll of Fate - exclusive chase semi-staple
Thran Dynamo - expensive semi-staple
Ash Barrens - staple
Bojuka Bog - staple
Command Tower - staple
Darkwater Catacombs - staple
Exotic Orchard - staple
Llanowar Wastes - staple
Reliquary Tower - semi-staple
Sunken Hollow - staple
Thespian Stage - expensive chase semi-staple
Yavimaya Coast - staple

Mystic Intellect (W/U/R)

This precon has a lot of nice cards, but isn't bonkers like Faceless Menace. I found the commanders pretty difficult to build around. Part of the problem is none of them are green and as you will find green is an extremely valuable color in EDH. Elsha is a very powerful commander but she is not easy to build around and not easy to play either (since she needs basically an entirely creatureless deck). I would get this precon if you want to invest in exactly these 3 colors (w/u/r). It does have some nice white board wipe spells, one of the biggest money cards in these precons (Dockside Extortionist which is $20 by itself) and is the only precon that comes with the staple Commander Sphere. But you'll need to do a lot of tinkering to turn this precon into a decent EDH deck (since, if you go with Elsha, you have to replace all the other creatures as well as most of the spells).

Key cards (21) -
Dockside Extortionist - exclusive chase semi-staple ($20)
Burnished Hart - semi-staple
Clever Impersonator - blue semi-staple
Backdraft Hellkite - exclusive
Pristine Angel
Sun Titan - white semi-staple
Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
Ral Zarek
Leadership Vacuum - exclusive blue staple
Sevinne's Reclamation - exclusive chase white semi-staple ($3 but will potentially appreciate)
Ignite the Future - exclusive
Dusk // Dawn - white semi-staple
Ghostly Prison - white staple
Sol Ring - staple
Bloodthirsty Blade - semi-staple
Commander's Sphere - staple
Empowered Autogenerator - exclusive chase semi-staple
Ash Barrens - staple
Commander Tower - staple
Exotic Orchard - staple
Prairie Stream - staple

Merciless Rage (B/R)
This precon has good value at MSRP. It comes with a nice pool of Madness spells and Madness spells are pretty nice. It has the most interesting new commanders from the 2019 Commander Precons, especially K'rrik who is a $9 card by himself. This is a good choice to pick up a copy of Solemn Simulacrum and Chaos Warp.

Key cards (19)-
Anje's Ravager - exclusive
Magus of the Wheel
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Skyfire Phoenix - exclusive semi-staple
Solemn Simulacrum - staple
Archfiend of Spite - exclusive
Chaos Warp - red staple
Mire in Misery - exclusive black semi-staple
Beacon of Unrest - black semi-staple
Nightmare Unmaking - exclusive black chase
Sol Ring - staple
Bloodthirsty Blade - exclusive semi-staple
Grimoire of the Dead - exclusive
Aeon Engine - exclusive
Ash Barrens - staple
Command Tower - staple
Exotic Orchard - staple
Geier Reach Sanitarium - semi-staple
Sanctum of Eternity - exclusive staple

Primal Genesis (W/R/G)

The worst of the 2019 Precons in terms of value BUT it does have a cool commander (Atla Palani), some interesting rare creatures and some extremely powerful exclusive cards. But unfortunately it lacks Faceless Menace's Seedborn Muse which makes this precon completely inferior. If you can find it for $15 and plan to play w/g, it's worth getting just for Lightning Greaves, Idol of Oblivion, Beast Within and Sungrass Prairie

Key cards (17)-
Sakura Tribe Elder - green staple
Selesnya Eulogist - exclusive green semi-staple <--- this is a great creature
Ohran Frostfang - exclusive
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Explore
Farseek
Beast Within - green staple
Cultivate - green staple
Sol Ring - staple
Idol of Oblivion - exclusive chase staple <--- this card is bonkers and is arguably the best new card in CMD2019
Lightning Greaves - staple
Command Tower - staple
Ash Barrens - staple
Cinder Glade - staple
Exotic Orchard - staple
Krosan Verge - semi-staple
Sungrass Prairie - staple

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

what do you play in ranked? I keep trying my shitty brews there but it's just not working out, kinda wanna find a deck to climb a bit
I have a few different homebrews and play one several times and then move to another so I don't get bored. They mostly the same way, tons of removal to survive all the early aggro bastards, board wipes but also the kaya enchant for 3 life gain and kill a creature, and also Cry of Carnarium because it reks red decks so well, and late game I can use it before a board wipe to exile all creatures. And usually I have a Fae of Wishes to bring in an Ego to deal with Eternal creatures that removal wont work on. I also have a counterspells deck and a Fires deck which win about 55% or so, nothing great but it climbs the ranks if I play enough games... The Fires deck which uses my secret trick which I thought was gonna get instantly stolen to become the new meta, but it didn't. :P Basically you get fires out, then you play bolas, and use Reverberation spell to make bolas's basic ability trigger 3 times. I can also use it on Casualties of War to destroy 3 lands, 3 enchants/arties/creatures/PWs, all in one turn. Also if Bolas is already in play, I can reverb the reverb and then use bolas which exiles 6 cards in one go.

Sadly it copies his ability but it doesn't give extra loyalty counters for each one so it is not as great as I hoped. It can still win about 60% of the time or something, but I think just being a douchebag and getting 8 Cavaliers and 4 Kenrith in a Fires deck would be a more consistent win. Those decks beat me most of the time, they are just too brutal. I just can't bring myself to make that deck myself because it seems so boring. I'd rather play some other game. Higher ranks of Mythic are nothing but scumbag netdecks like that. As Spectre said there are a lot of xUW decks around now and I find them insanely brutal. Since the new set, white can exile almost anything you play, board wipe easily, etc. Mix it with blue and it can also counter everything you play, it is just over the top strong. I am so mad at myself for blowing all my wildcards on some hairbrained shitty deck idea when I should have just bought 4 Absorb and made a mostly unbeatable UW deck.

But I don't know if I would want to play this game with net decks. It would seem pointless to me and too grindy, play someone elses idea 1000s of times, to grind endlessly for gold to buy another deck that someone else made. I would rather just play some other game. It is only fun for me if I beat people with my goofy homebrews, and when I lose I tweak it slightly so it is like an ever evolving idea. That keeps me motivated to play, for now anyway.

p.s. White and Blue both got insanely strong. There is also a green white creature that can become indestructible when you discard, and I find it super hard to beat that deck. They pump it with enchants so it is huge, and nothing I do can kill it. It annoyed me so much I tried to bring back my Doom Foretold deck but I can't get a version of that which works as well as I want. I am also tempted by a deck which uses enchants to super pump up that little 2/1 green mana creature which has hexproof while it is untapped. You enchant it with Vigilance so it never taps, and enchant it with lots of boosts and it becomes unstoppable. And for board wipes I think I got countered. :/ But imo the most brutal decks are xUW counters/control, or that lame cavalier fires deck.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Here's a checklist of the best general cards to acquire for EDH, and where they are available (if you can't find EDH singles). Also you should know that WotC plans to focus on EDH this year so there's a lot of EDH products being scheduled.

CMA - Commander Anthology 1
CM2 - Commander Anthology 2
DDA - Duel Deck Anthology
E01 - Archenemy Nicol Bolas

Land
Commander Tower - any EDH precon
Command Beacon - C15 Swell the Host
Sanctum of Eternity - C19 Merciless Rage
Exotic Orchard - CM2, C19
Shocklands - fixed in the ELD Brawl decks and in 2019 Challenger decks
Bojuka Bog - M19 Faceless Menace

Artifact
Sol Ring - any EDH precon
Arcane Signet - any ELD Brawl precon
Commander's Sphere - CMA, CM2, C19 Mystic Intellect, C18 Subjective Reality, Exquisite Invention
Mana Crypt - EMA <---- just play a proxy, it's SUPER expensive otherwise
Basalt Monolith - CMA, CM2
Lightning Greaves - CMA, CM2, C19 Primal Genesis
Swiftfoot Boots - CMA, CM2, C18 Exquisite Invention
Mind Stone - CM2, C18 Subjective Reality, Exquisite Invention
Fellwar Stone - CM2, C17 Arcane Wizardry
Solemn Simulacrum - CM2, C19 Merciless Rage
Sensei's Divining Top - EMA single, FTV Exiled
Idol of Oblivion - C19 Primal Genesis
Scroll of Fate - C19 Faceless Menance
Strionic Resonator - C19 Faceless Menance
Burnished Hart - C19 Mystic Intellect
Champion's Helm - Kaladesh Inventions
Darksteel Plate - DD Elves vs Inventors
Signets - found in many different precons as well as the Guild Kits
Talismans - Modern Horizons (single) and many different precons
Medallions - found in C14 precons, Emerald and Ruby in CMA and CM2

White
Smothering Tithe - ELD Brawl Faerie Schemes, Orzhov Guild Kit
Ghostly Prison - C19 Mystic Intellect
Karmic Justice - C15 Call the Spirits
Land Tax - BBD single
Wrath of God - FTV Annihilation
Generous Gift - MH1 single
Swords to Plowshares - C17 Vampiric Bloodlust, FTV 20, A25 single
Sun Titan - C19 Mystic Intellect
Grand Abolisher - E01, C14 White
Bastion Protector - C15 Call the Spirits

Blue
Rhystic Study - Commander's Arsenal <--- very expensive, much cheaper to find Prophecy single
Propaganda - C16 Stalwart Unity
Ponder - C18 Subjective Reality
Leadership Vacuum - C19 Faceless Menace, Mystic Intellect
Counterspell - Jace's Spellbook
Negate - Jace's Spellbook
Predict - C18 Subjective Reality
Brainstorm - C18 Subjective Reality
Fact or Fiction - CM2, C19 Mystic Intellect
Reality Shift - C19 Faceless Menace
Force of Negation - Modern Horizons single
Force of Will - EMA single
Mana Drain - Iconic Masters single
Narset's Reversal - WAR single
Mystic Confluence - C15 Seize Control
Clever Impersonator - C19 Mystic Intellect
Vesuvan Shapeshifter - C19 Faceless Menace
Loyal Drake - C18 Exquisite Invention, Adaptive Enchantment

Black
Waste Not - C16 Entropic Uprising
Demonic Tutor - DDA, UMA single
Wretched Confluence - CM1, C15 Plunder the Graves

Red
Fiery Confluence - CM2, C15 Wade into Battle
Chaos Warp - CM2, C19 Merciless Rage, C18 Exquisite Invention
Vandalblast - C15 Seize Control

Green
Sylvan Library - Commander's Arsenal <---- this is very expensive, might be cheaper to find a UMA or 4E single
Wilderness Reclamation - RNA single
Myth Unbound C18 Adaptive Enchantment
Burgeoning - M16 Entropic Uprising
Seedborn Muse - C19 Faceless Menace
Road to Return - C19 Faceless Menace
Cultivate - CMA, CM2, C19 Faceless Menace, pretty much any green precon
Kodama's Reach - C17 Draconic Domination
Nature's Lore - DDA
Rampant Growth - C16 Open Hostility
Verdant Confluence - C15 Swell the Host
Beast Within - C19 Primal Genesis

spectre

Arcane
People were trying the vigilance shtick on Paradise Druid since Eldraine. It wasn't terribly effective back then, because there just wasn't enough supporting cards.
Nowadays, you have a few ways to counteract the card loss when your carrier is blown up. You have that white aura with cheap escape which keeps coming back, you can also use the black eidolon to draw all the cards back if you want an extra color in.
Another key card coming in is Karametra's Blessing which gives you indestructible and hexproof, which is basically what you need to stay mostly intact even after a boardwipe.
There's plenty to explore in the archetype, it's got an anti-counterspell thing for 1G and enchantment-based ramp at 1G and 2G. Omen of the Hunt being unique being the only ramp spell with flash in a long time.
The oppossiton is brutal, so I'm not sure if there's more than a solid tier 2 deck.

Doom Foretold is insanely strong vs. aggro which has a hard time going through all the Oaths of Kaya and that White saga that shits out a 0/4 while still providing fodder for Doom. On the other hand, It should fold completely to any tempo deck with counterspells.
It can be promising in Bo3, where you can board all the discard you want.
I've also seen a semi-novel thing with Vraska, which is an interesting choice - cycles permanents, acts as removal and (most importantly) lets you threaten to close the game within a reasonable timeframe. If dance of the Manse doesn't show the deck needs to kill with tokens, which takes forever.

I wouldn't obsess about netdecks. Not in standard anyway. If your pile is any good, chances are a few more guys have made similar decks. If those guys network to corroborate on their ideas, they might end up with more refined lists.
You need a much larger cardpool to get creative.

In other news, had a guy playing Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths. Must have sucked when he found out that I gave him a land in the face down pile. It's nice when the game allows those tiny bits of interaction.
Also, the only deck that let me gain a full rank today was mono red, basen on weenie vomit, Embercleave Phoenix of Ass and Xanax, who gets Hard in the Forge, so go figure.
People seem to forget Emberclave is a thing, and even then, fucking magnets trample.... how does that work.
Keep your fingers crossed, I might just find the strength within me to go to diamond.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think Embercleave is the most powerful thing ever. I wanna make one of those red white decks with haste stuff and the one that gives protection from a color to a creature etc.. Put all that together with Embercleave and it is stupid strong. Although it is another one of those decks that I would rather suck than play something so boring :P

spectre

Arcane
I might just find the strength within me to go to diamond.
and other lies we tell ourselves

Oh cut me some slack, it seems like they're letting anybody in. I mean anvi made it mythic (;

At least I'm not one of those people who swear they won't crack open but one Theros pack until they get all the commons and uncommons from drafting.

Dunno. Embercleave is the Berserk we can get, and I'm milking it for what it's worth. Xanax gets hard in the Forge and hits ass and leg for an easy 10+ damage. If this ain't heavan, I don't know what is.
At least I'm playing a proper deck here, not some fucking plebian cavalcade.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe no one deck is going to be good to go all the way if you want to rank up consistently.

Standard Bo3 seems to be filled with nothing but fucking Nissa and Uro and I have exactly zero interest of playing that shit for three games.

Idk why but whenever I change decks I end up facing totally different decks than what I was facing before. And yeah Nissa is a cunt so shitty to play against. I think cat oven is the worst though, drives me nuts how facing cat oven basically means that the game is gonna take 3x longer than normal.

Higher ranks of Mythic are nothing but scumbag netdecks like that. As Spectre said there are a lot of xUW decks around now and I find them insanely brutal. Since the new set, white can exile almost anything you play, board wipe easily, etc. Mix it with blue and it can also counter everything you play, it is just over the top strong. I am so mad at myself for blowing all my wildcards on some hairbrained shitty deck idea when I should have just bought 4 Absorb and made a mostly unbeatable UW deck.

But I don't know if I would want to play this game with net decks. It would seem pointless to me and too grindy, play someone elses idea 1000s of times, to grind endlessly for gold to buy another deck that someone else made. I would rather just play some other game. It is only fun for me if I beat people with my goofy homebrews, and when I lose I tweak it slightly so it is like an ever evolving idea. That keeps me motivated to play, for now anyway.

p.s. White and Blue both got insanely strong. There is also a green white creature that can become indestructible when you discard, and I find it super hard to beat that deck. They pump it with enchants so it is huge, and nothing I do can kill it. It annoyed me so much I tried to bring back my Doom Foretold deck but I can't get a version of that which works as well as I want. I am also tempted by a deck which uses enchants to super pump up that little 2/1 green mana creature which has hexproof while it is untapped. You enchant it with Vigilance so it never taps, and enchant it with lots of boosts and it becomes unstoppable. And for board wipes I think I got countered. :/ But imo the most brutal decks are xUW counters/control, or that lame cavalier fires deck.

I don't mind playing a netdeck if it's fun but for some reason in this standard I can't find any top tier decks that are fun to play. I hate playing green and I hate the stupid food/cat sack crap and I hate fires so that doesn't really leave much... Esper dance seems stronger now but eh... I guess part of my problem is I hate the flavor of eldraine and I don't like playing cards like "goose egg" "cookie crumbs" and shit so I'm just turned off by things that feature eld cards heavily. :/

I just made a deck that's actually kinda working in ranked that I enjoy playing though!

Deck
2 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
2 Erebos, Bleak-Hearted (THB) 93
3 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
3 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
3 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
2 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Temple of Triumph (M20) 257
4 Bloodfell Caves (M20) 242
3 Bedevil (RNA) 157
3 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204

K7avPV1.jpg

that hungry titan thing is sweet in this cuz it forces discard and then triggers a bunch of death effects from my other shit

plus the card looks cool as hell

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Doom Foretold has some good scope now I think. There is that black enchant which draws 3 cards and then you lose 1 life when you cast a spell, you can use it for the draw and then sac it with doom. And like spec said, the white enchant which gives you a plains, then 0/4 and then 2 life. Also there is a trick you can do where you let it kill all their stuff, and then when nothing is left and it will make them discard and you get a 2/2, you can bounce it with that Teferi something instant and it comes back again for another turn, and you still get the trigger.

Also there is that blue card which can copy an enchant which might work well with it. I like Doom decks but like spec said, it really gets whooped by counterspell decks. Also aggro decks that can play 2 creatures every turn are starting to show up and they are hard work.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't mind playing a netdeck if it's fun but for some reason in this standard I can't find any top tier decks that are fun to play. I hate playing green and I hate the stupid food/cat sack crap and I hate fires so that doesn't really leave much... Esper dance seems stronger now but eh... I guess part of my problem is I hate the flavor of eldraine and I don't like playing cards like "goose egg" "cookie crumbs" and shit so I'm just turned off by things that feature eld cards heavily. :/

Same here, I can't find a single net deck I like. They are so boring. I would play one if it was fun but the best ones are so simple and boring, and the more interesting decks just don't seem very strong.

spectre

Arcane
If players could use tokens, you could keep it up indefinitely with the white castle tokens, so that would just lead to more degeneracy.
Personally, the worst part about it is the discard when you run out of permanents. I guess that's flavor: in a sense you cannot hide from the prophecy,
and abyss effects need some kind of a climax to feel "fair", but this one feels like a bit too much.

So what do you guys consider not-boring anyways? I'm thinking, tempo decks give you that "gotcha" feeling as you land the killing blow one turn before the opponent,
but the meta needs to settle for tempo to be a thing. UR flash kinda fits the bill here, it's less boring than UG and actually feels like you work for that win.

Combo is always kinda shit in standard. Cat oven has ran its course for me.
From a new player's perspective, It's nice to have something running on all uncommons and that can fit in a variety of shells, but damn that thing is 1/3 of what I played today.
Only new shit I saw uses Vannifar and Nightmare Shepherd for endless untapping with Corridor Monitors etc., but that one's super fragile as you need to untap with Vannifar on board.

In other news, seems like they hired Skybox Labs to assist in development... or perhaps take over the development entirely. Nobody knows with WotC.
I wonder if it's just a money-saving issue, or wil they be doing actual development beyond the regular add a set, animate a pet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My judgement of boring decks is kinda harsh I guess. I basically don't like any creature decks. I don't mind using a few uber creatures in a control deck, but mostly creatures bores me. I wouldn't mind if they all had effects but mostly I find it Zzzz. I only really like control decks, and even that, if it is just counters with a Brazen Borrower / Lochmere Serpent to win at the end. Zzzz!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom