Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Man why do people like Morrowind so much

Nigro

Educated
Seriously, it's such a shit game, no offense for people that like it, but I just can't stand it, Ive tried playing it through a few times, because of all the hype...So I'm just curious for the people that like it, what are the reasons for it? do you admit the game has flaws?

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I really enjoyed exploration in Morrowind. This is a TES before magic compass, so adventuring still felt fresh. There are heaps of locations in MW with books, unique NPCs, little written notes, small caves etc to check out and explore. Alot of it had no bearing on quests, it was just there to be there and it was great - I didn't feel like every place that had a person or item or cave had some quest attached to it, so it felt like the makers were adding in extra content for people to enjoy. I kinda missed that in Oblivion/Skyrim.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind is great except for one thing: it's too static.
It's a beautiful, exotic world with many interesting places, but yet it feels so lifeless when every fucking thing revolves around the player character.
For all it's faults I prefer the more dymanic and unpredictable, albeit generic, world of (modded) Oblivion. Once the level scaling is fixed, of course. In Oblivion, if you ignore the weak main quest, you're nothing special - things don't revolve around you and things happen even if you are not there to cause it or even observe it.

Morrowind with Oblivion's dynamics would have been perfect.
Too bad modders can't fix that.

I still prefer vanilla Morrowind to vanilla Oblivion, though. At least vanilla Morrowind is not broken.

jewboy

Arbiter
I agree it's total shit. Only newfags think it's impressively old school. It's just shitty real time combat with no real pause option. Try Daggerfall or Arena. Both much better than Morrowind.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer the more dymanic and unpredictable, albeit generic, world of (modded) Oblivion.

:flamesaw:WTF

Oblivion is just as static as Morrowind and all TES games, what the hell are you talking about? Did you want to compare it to Gothic but your brain failed or what?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The setting. The world. The exploration. The lore. The amazing sense of discovery you get when exploring the world, finding ancient ruins with powerful artefacts contained within. And there's no quest compass, instead, you got a beautiful paper map that shows most of the game's interesting location and gives you motivation to explore.

It's basically explorefag heavan.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I prefer the more dymanic and unpredictable, albeit generic, world of (modded) Oblivion.

Oblivion is just as static as Morrowind and all TES games, what the hell are you talking about? Did you want to compare it to Gothic but your brain failed or what?

You see, my emotional little friend, in Oblivion characters can actually walk from one part of a city to the other to the other, or even from one city to the other. They can even fight each other.
In Morrowind they can't. Only the player character is mobile. IOW, the whole world revolves around the player character.
I really don't understant why this is so difficult to see.

Nigro

Educated

You see, my emotional little friend, in Oblivion characters can actually walk from one part of a city to the other to the other, or even from one city to the other. They can even fight each other.
In Morrowind they can't. Only the player character is mobile. IOW, the whole world revolves around the player character.
I really don't understant why this is so difficult to see.
For some reason Oblivion was the only Elder Scrolls game I was able to complete it, Skyrim I would always reach a point where I had to change my character, then that became boring, so I uninstalled.

DraQ

Arcane
Man why do people like Morrowind so much

Seriously, it's such a shit game, no offense for people that like it, but I just can't stand it, Ive tried playing it through a few times, because of all the hype...So I'm just curious for the people that like it, what are the reasons for it? do you admit the game has flaws?
Man why do people like PS:T so much

Man why do people like Fallout so much

AM I DOIN IT RITE?

Also: "Nigro", "jewboy" - anyone else is seeing a pattern here?
M:

Black

Arcane
Everything TES and Morrowind does, Ultimas, M&M and Wizardries do better.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
FFFFFFF- Morrowind is great, you fuckn -- WAIT FUCK - Morrowind is bsb decline Daggerfall was way fucken bett- WAIT FUCK DAGGERFALL ARPG BANAL DECLINE SHIT FUCK~~~!

AAARGH CODEX DISSONANCE~!~!~!

~~~ですですですですです~~~

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued

Add arrows sticking to the ass, plasticine heads you can make and voiced retards talking shit A:"i saw mudcrab yesterday"B:"I've heard the warriors guild is recruting"A:"Bye"B:"later"... They turn around 360* and A to B:"How are you?"; and it's dynamic shit all of sudden.

It was so easy to fix the static state of morrowind all along!

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Add arrows sticking to the ass, plasticine heads you can make and voiced retards talking shit A:"i saw mudcrab yesterday"B:"I've heard the warriors guild is recruting"A:"Bye"B:"later"... They turn around 360* and A to B:"How are you?"; and it's dynamic shit all of sudden.

You could have had a point if that was what I was talking about. But since I didn't, you don't. :smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys what's going on in here, just wanted to drop something here:

IMAG002.GIF

It'll take care of any vermin around here!

Added quest compass.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Added quest compass.

There's an Oblivion mod that replaces all the dumb mudcrab dialogue and yammering about stupid shit the player's done "omg, did you hear about KVATCH?!" with something that isn't entirely banal? Or are things like Nehrim considered under the umbrella of "modded" Oblivion?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's an Oblivion mod that replaces all the dumb mudcrab dialogue and yammering about stupid shit the player's done "omg, did you hear about KVATCH?!" with something that isn't entirely banal?

I dunno, but it should be easy to make if it doesn't exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom