Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Man why do people like Morrowind so much

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's an Oblivion mod that replaces all the dumb mudcrab dialogue and yammering about stupid shit the player's done "omg, did you hear about KVATCH?!" with something that isn't entirely banal?

I dunno, but it should be easy to make if it doesn't exist.

With modders handling VA, I think base Oblivion would be better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's an Oblivion mod that replaces all the dumb mudcrab dialogue and yammering about stupid shit the player's done "omg, did you hear about KVATCH?!" with something that isn't entirely banal?

If the NPCs' comments annoy you so much, it should be relatively easy to replace the sound files with silent files.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If the NPCs' comments annoy you so much, it should be relatively easy to replace the sound files with silent files.
Yeah, but the best option would still be to play Morrowind instead.
I'd rather hear "Get out of here, stalker n'wah" than "OH THE HERO OF KVATCH! Let me bend over, I saw a mudcrab yesterday"

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Dunmer were so pussified in Oblivion. Remember how mean Ordinators were? Raspy, angry voices calling you scum and shit, they were the epitome of xenophobic Dunmer in Morrowind. In Oblivion, they sounded exactly the same as Bosmer. Even the enemies in Oblivion weren't mean. Morrowind's enemies snorted and growled and had weird tentacles and growths and appendages coming out of their faces.

Everything about Oblivion just seemed so childish and immature. The VA, the enemies, the quests, even the combat somehow seemed less bloody and violent than Morrowind.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I prefer the more dymanic and unpredictable, albeit generic, world of (modded) Oblivion.

:flamesaw:WTF

Oblivion is just as static as Morrowind and all TES games, what the hell are you talking about? Did you want to compare it to Gothic but your brain failed or what?
Add arrows sticking to the ass, plasticine heads you can make and voiced retards talking shit A:"i saw mudcrab yesterday"B:"I've heard the warriors guild is recruting"A:"Bye"B:"later"... They turn around 360* and A to B:"How are you?"; and it's dynamic shit all of sudden.

It was so easy to fix the static state of morrowind all along!

You could have had a point if that was what I was talking about. But since I didn't, you don't. :smug:
You must be talking about dynamic oblivion gates with dynamic scamps running around it, then. And people few steps away that don't give a damn, because it's too dynamic.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah, Dunmer were so pussified in Oblivion. Remember how mean Ordinators were? Raspy, angry voices calling you scum and shit, they were the epitome of xenophobic Dunmer in Morrowind. In Oblivion, they sounded exactly the same as Bosmer. Even the enemies in Oblivion weren't mean. Morrowind's enemies snorted and growled and had weird tentacles and growths and appendages coming out of their faces.

Everything about Oblivion just seemed so childish and immature. The VA, the enemies, the quests, even the combat somehow seemed less bloody and violent than Morrowind.
It was one of the first next-gen titles ever. What did you expect after a game that is shipped with viva piniata on xbox360 console that was advertised as a "family entertainment".

Fortunately, this shit craze was gone around 2009 and Skyrim at least tried to be more serious.

oscar

Arcane
Yeah it's not a great rpg objectively (weak real-time combat alongside broken and easily exploitable mechanics) but it has unmatched lore and atmosphere in an interesting and mature (not Bioware's blood'n'bisexuals 'maturity') setting combined with unforgettable visuals and audio. Is one of the few AAA games to combine big budget graphics with a well thought out and imaginative art design.

What do people think of the graphical overhaul mod?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I prefer the more dymanic and unpredictable, albeit generic, world of (modded) Oblivion.

:flamesaw:WTF

Oblivion is just as static as Morrowind and all TES games, what the hell are you talking about? Did you want to compare it to Gothic but your brain failed or what?
Add arrows sticking to the ass, plasticine heads you can make and voiced retards talking shit A:"i saw mudcrab yesterday"B:"I've heard the warriors guild is recruting"A:"Bye"B:"later"... They turn around 360* and A to B:"How are you?"; and it's dynamic shit all of sudden.

It was so easy to fix the static state of morrowind all along!

You could have had a point if that was what I was talking about. But since I didn't, you don't. :smug:
You must be talking about dynamic oblivion gates with dynamic scamps running around it, then. And people few steps away that don't give a damn, because it's too dynamic.

There's no need for a strawman; if you read my first post in this post you will see excactly what I was talking about.

Also, the whole lack of dynamics when it comes to the oblivion gates, is one of the reasons I just ignore the whole main quest in Oblivion.

Nigro

Educated
Meh, if you guys want visuals and good environments you should try real life, I've heard there are plenty of beautiful places to explore in there...with really great lore too

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh, if you guys want visuals and good environments you should try real life, I've heard there are plenty of beautiful places to explore in there...with really great lore too
Yeah, But no villains to kill and no adventures with deep quests. Or rather quests that are too deep and not adventurous. At all.

Plenty of jews and negros around. Also, you could join the military or become a mercenary, or become an archaeologist and go on excavations in the middle east, or do underwater archaeology.
Plenty of stuff to do.

The only problem being that there's no save and reload, so if you die, that's it.

Nigro

Educated
Yeah, But no villains to kill and no adventures with deep quests. Or rather quests that are too deep and not adventurous. At all.

Plenty of jews and negros around. Also, you could join the military or become a mercenary, or become an archaeologist and go on excavations in the middle east, or do underwater archaeology.
Plenty of stuff to do.

The only problem being that there's no save and reload, so if you die, that's it.
hahahahaha
one day...

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
There's no need for a strawman; if you read my first post in this post you will see excactly what I was talking about.

Also, the whole lack of dynamics when it comes to the oblivion gates, is one of the reasons I just ignore the whole main quest in Oblivion.
Wow, people changing their location between exteriors and interiors. That shit is rad :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Wow, people changing their location between exteriors and interiors. That shit is rad :smug:

Compared to Morrowind it certainly is.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
It's like the difference between fiat 126 and fiat 126p.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, another Morrowind thread moved to the popamole forums?
Normally I'd be annoyed, but it is a shitty troll thread, so eh.

Bah. You could've linked some much more monocle ones.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/morrowind-as-above-so-below.41296/
There's a skyrim thread that turned into a great MW thread also from 2010 but I can't find it now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Actual answers:

- Cool world to explore, not Tolkien blowjob #1432
- Stat-based combat means stats matter
- Interesting lore about living (mortal?) gods, disappearing dwarves, trickster demons, etc.
- Slow skill progression and expensive trainers mean working for your progress (at least until you learn how to work the system)
- Immersionfag stuff like in-world travel, books, spell-making, player housing, etc.
- It is, for those focused on mainstream stuff (or *shudder* consoles), one of the early relatively polished 3D huge open world RPGs

DraQ

Arcane

It has nearly nil effect on gameplay or enjoyment.
It's an improvement but can't even begin to outweigh huge shit taken by the devs on literally everything else.

Sabriana

Learned
Pro:
Great hiking sim
Explorer's heaven
Great world
Slow leveling
Lore is superb
Factions are expressed well (Dunmer are gruff and distant for example)
It's a computer game
Can be modded
No voiced PC
Little hand-holding
No quest compass

Contra:
Fetch quests tend to get very boring, very fast
NPC's do not react well to the PC and to what is going on
Cliffracers
Combat is garbage
All those mods can be discombobulating

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It has nearly nil effect on gameplay or enjoyment.

Well, to me it did. It was the one thing that annoyed me most about Morrowind - that everything revolved around the player character. And that was years before Oblivion was released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom