Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview MCA on Storytelling

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Whenever people talk about storytelling...

RPG becomes "ROLE YOU PLAY IN STORY".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IronicNeurotic said:
What is everyone raging about here?

He said he is increasingly happy with the way storytelling is progressing. In other words, to him, this is incline:

18f8gj.png

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
J_C said:
I don't see anything in that interview that should make anyone rage. You are all retards. :smug: But I'm a storyfag, so maybe I'm missing the point.

No true :monocle: storyfag would recognise KOTOR 1 as a standard for... well, anything. The game didn't have one bit of :incline: in it. It was pure, condensed :decline: of unparalleled proportions.

But yeah, everyone's acting butthurt here. We must be growing senile.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mastermind said:
IronicNeurotic said:

He said he is increasingly happy with the way storytelling is progressing. In other words, to him, this is incline:

18f8gj.png
I think MCA is pleased with the good storytelling, not the stupid DA2 storytelling.

JaySn

Educated
J_C said:
Mastermind said:
IronicNeurotic said:

He said he is increasingly happy with the way storytelling is progressing. In other words, to him, this is incline: [:retarded: ]
I think MCA is pleased with the good storytelling, not the stupid DA2 storytelling.

What is there, if not the great monolog of Dragon Age?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
J_C said:

He quotes kotor as the catalyst of the New Shit so I highly doubt that.

deus101 said:
Whenever people talk about storytelling...

RPG becomes "ROLE YOU PLAY IN STORY".

Tbh that's a better interpretation of the "role" part of rpg than "I will be the orc that kills people with an axe, Jimmy will be the human who kills people with arrows and Jane will be the elf that kills people with fireballs".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
IronicNeurotic said:
Mastermind said:
He said he is increasingly happy with the way storytelling is progressing.

Yes, thats also not what storytelling means you derp.

:roll:

I'm sorry, is this sentence supposed to make sense in an alternate universe? Go fuck yourself. Or even better, stick to your panoramic view of Fagellone's belly button and do not bother replying to my posts until the cock comes out of your mouth.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
To clear the retards here up:

Storytelling is HOW a story is told. (Call it "Presentation")

It has fuck to do with the writing.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
IronicNeurotic said:

sto·ry·tell·ing   [stawr-ee-tel-ing, stohr-] Show IPA
noun
the telling or writing of stories.

Note the distinct lack of "how". Presentation is just one aspect of storytelling.

JaySn

Educated
IronicNeurotic said:

Now tell us what "scripts" and "design documents" are, oh wise one. That is to say the directions that determine and outline how a final product should both appear and be achieved.

Recent Hollywood successes such as Transformers might not be the best example of 'storytelling', would you not agree?

Mastermind has outwitted me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
JaySn said:
Mastermind has outwitted me.

If it makes you feel better I was about to edit my post to quote Avellone praising their script before I saw your post. :x

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
JaySn said:
Recent Hollywood successes such as Transformers might not be the best example of 'storytelling', would you not agree?

Inception?

Also the scripts are vital in storytelling as they determine how something is delieverd by the actor. Furthermore much of the storytelling is also laid down in the design documents. Like Avellone said. How are these themes presented to the player to get the desired reaction?

This shit is all 101 stuff everyone should know.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Avellone never singled out presentation when he said storytelling or script, that is your worship-driven reinterpretation of Avellonian scripture. You are putting words in his mouth to protect your shattered faith from the obvious: your "god" bleeds like a pig.

Edit: Let's have a walk down memory lane to see where Avellone's true loyalties lie:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/06/questi ... -avellone/

My question for Chris is: What did you think when you heard Bethesda were making Fallout 3? And what did you think of the game when you played it?

I was pretty pleased – Oblivion + Fallout seemed like a great combination to me.

:lol:

JaySn

Educated
IronicNeurotic said:
Also the scripts are vital in storytelling as they determine how something is delieverd by the actor. Furthermore much of the storytelling is also laid down in the design documents. Like Avellone said. How are these themes presented to the player to get the desired reaction?
IronicNeurotic said:

Have i made my quite possibly dull point yet?
You might well have me on Inception -- I've not seen the film yet, nor does it particularly interest me. I suppose my point is moreso that movies with weak storytelling are the norm, whereas 'great' movies with great storytelling are very rare. Therefore, to use current generation Hollywood films as your benchmark becomes a fallacy.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
JaySn said:
IronicNeurotic said:
IronicNeurotic said:

Have i made my quite possibly dull point yet?
You might well have me on Inception -- I've not seen the film yet, nor does it particularly interest me. I suppose my point is moreso that movies with weak storytelling are the norm, whereas 'great' movies with great storytelling are very rare. Therefore, to use current generation Hollywood films as your benchmark becomes a fallacy.

No, the writing itself could be complete bullshit. If its presented well, its good storytelling. A mime is the purest form of storytelling. Telling a story without anything but imagination.

Again

Storytelling= The Art of telling a story.

@Mastermind: Storytelling IS the presentation of a story.

JaySn

Educated
But RPGs and feature films are not mimes. They' are (and their development process) is too complex to be compared to a mime.

They have writing, contained within those documents previously mentioned to achieve their goal. Poor writing will result in poor story-telling, no? The foundations the presentation is built upon would be too weak and fail.

Personally, I'm unsure.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
You guys need to learn some common sense and text interpre
fuck this shit, I bet someone pulls this line every couple of days

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kortalh said:
JaySn said:
If only the inspiration didn't come from the dregs of summer action movies.

Considering KOTOR was a console game, I'd think it hard to call it "one of the first fully voice acted" . . .
Yeah, I find it difficult to believe he never played any of the talky Adventure games of the 90s.

I mean, the talky version of Loom came out in what, 1991? And I'm sure there were other ones earlier -- though perhaps with not as great of voice acting.

I'm not sure Kotor's release 12 years later qualifies it to be "one of the first".

If you read the whole sentence instead of taking it out of context like most of the other Codexian 'experts' you'd see that the full sentence is "one of the first fully voice acted role-playing games" so he's right there.

Also what's all the rage about? He's talking about the 'present state of STORYTELLING' and how the medium is being used to put stories into RPG's!

What's all the smug 'I knew he was derp' crap here for?

It's not like MCA is saying that stats are irrelevant in RPG's or that Mass Effect is the pinnacle of the genre! He's been asked about the standard of implementation of narrative in games and as shown with PS:T, MCA has always been a storyfag so it's hardly surprising that he's enthusiastic about the increasing capabilities of computers to be able to tell a story.

tl;dr

Don't be a bunch of fucking kneejerk retards raging for no reason.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
JaySn said:
But RPGs and feature films are not mimes. They' are (and their development process) is too complex to be compared to a mime.

They have writing, contained within those documents previously mentioned to achieve their goal. Poor writing will result in poor story-telling, no? The foundations the presentation is built upon would be too weak and fail.

Personally, I'm unsure.

It's more complex. Yes, but whats the difference? A movie just has more options to present it. The mime does it with none of them.

Hmmmm. Take famous dictators. They use oral storytelling too. For example: Hitler. Were his speeches actually well written/consistent and so on? No, it was how he used his voice and presence to rally people that got him were he was. Most politicans are really good storytellers. Bullshit they may let out.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
wtf guys. Games are turning into movies, which is exactly what a guy like MCA could want. Games ARE putting more emphasis on storytelling, for better or worst. It's all about telling the shitty developpers' story. The fact that this is a crutch for lazy design isn't the point, the point is that we are getting story. Words words words. Bioware games are full of fucking words man. They're just boring words, that's about it.

This
pool-of-radiance_9.png

doesn't allow for creative storytelling. Deal with it

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
commie said:
It's not like MCA is saying that stats are irrelevant in RPG's or that Mass Effect is the pinnacle of the genre!

Nobody even mentioned stats. They have nothing to do with this conversation or being a storyfag. I'm something of a storyfag at times. That does not translate to swallowing up shitty stories with decent (debatable, but I'll let it slide) presentation like Avellone is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom