Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Released!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    We are talking here about AI not about whole game.

^ Top  
  2. Martius Liturgist

Martius
    You can play 2 and 3 on Nvidia Shield.

^ Top  
  3. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Best way to play MGS games not on PC is with an emulator, the ports that are out there aren't good. I think Digital Foundry did a video on various ports and their problems, at least on MGS2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I got a cheap Xbox 360 just to play the HD versions. 360's are damn cheap nowadays, I think the game cost more than the console.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I've been playing this game for damn near a week now and I can't stop

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sam Ecorners Arcane

Sam Ecorners
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Young_Hollow Educated

Young_Hollow
    Thanks a lot! Mega seems to be locally blocked, but I'll download it from a cafe or something. How much GB is it?

^ Top  
  8. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    750mb.

^ Top  
  9. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Yeah I p. much played nothing else but this for ~10 days.

^ Top  
  10. Silva Arcane

Silva
    This game has its moments. Flying to the next mission in the chopper while listening to 80's hits with the sun rising in the horizon is trippy as fuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sam Ecorners Arcane

Sam Ecorners
    Did you play Peace Walker? If so, what did you think of it?
    I finally finished MGS4(lost my act4 save, so had to replay it) and started on MGS:PW HD. Got to chapter 2, but so far it's been pissing me off more than anything. Does it get better?

^ Top  
  12. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    I skipped non-numbered games.

^ Top  
  13. Sam Ecorners Arcane

Sam Ecorners
    i'm planning to only do Peace Walker and Revengeance, but that decision is being tested with Peace Walker already

^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Revengeance is a hack & slash game. It's good for what it is

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    God damn, I love this game.

If bowling over commies while riding a cardboard box adorned with an anime poster and then holding them up with a squirt gun is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Now all we need to do is declare it an RPG. If Prey's an RPG this game can easily be one as well

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    But yeah honestly I think this has the best gameplay loop of any real time FPS/Third Person game ever released. It is just too fun to sneak up on places, console loading screens aside.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    TPP puts almost every other game to shame in terms of possible paths to achieving a given objective. Some methods are more optimal than others, but other methods are genuinely more fun or more satisfying to pull off.

Every element of the game has so many modes. Crouch and prone stances tend to be a big deal for a lot of people in these types of games (some were annoyed that they were missing from Underrail, for example). This game not only has crouch and prone, it has three speeds for prone (if you count "not moving" as a speed), extra-stealthy prone, prone leg sweep (two kinds, a normal one and a scissor kick you can do on an enemy who's knocked you prone), dive into prone, prone ACTION ROLL, enemy hold-up from prone, prone in a box, prone underneath "tunnel"-style cover including all sorts of tables, cots, and drainage pipes; and of course being prone (or crouched) affects aim stability and stealth.

I'm pretty sure it holds the all-time record for number of ways to clobber enemies, too. One time I stunned a guy in a very shallow marsh, and he fucking drowned in it because he was face-down. It took me a while to figure out why he was dead.

Hell, it even has on-the-go plant harvesting. Normally you have to stop to pick flowers in games with harvestable resource nodes, but not in TPP. You can hustle right on by with R held down grabbing some carrots on your way past.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Master Arbiter

Master
    Too bad about the open world degenerate design though.

• Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Master Arbiter

Master
    Too bad you can't do that with all those briefcases (or can you?)
    In any case, you'd think that simply walking over these pickables would be even better. But you would be wrong. Holding down a button on my joystick constantly has never been this cool.
    :positive:

^ Top  
  22. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The only thing I wished for in the game was bigger bases to infiltrate. The open world design was pretty good, except that all the places available for infiltration was tiny as hell, except when in story mission.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Master Arbiter

Master
    The tiny bases are because of the open world. You can't have giant world and giant bases at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    The game has big camps like the Afghanistan base camp, the OKB Zero or the african airport. So no, the reason for the tiny bases to exist has nothing to do with the open world concept of the game. They decided to fill the map with a lot of different bases of different sizes. The only "issue" with MGSV map design is the lacking interiors.

^ Top  
  25. Master Arbiter

Master
    Yes, the interiors of bases... When I say big base I mean this big intricate base. But when half the focus goes to the outside of bases, in a game about infiltrating bases(supposedly), then the interiors of bases, aka - the bases, start sucking.
    What does open world add actually except making everything else worse than it has to be. The thing is like some fucking parasite. MGSTPP bases are like a corpse sucked dry by open world design. And it's a pretty corpse sure, and you can still infiltrate it but it's just wrong somehow and you know it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)