Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Released!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Found this little gem while browsing Metal Gear related stuff.
    I liked it, and it actually gives me some closure to the whole thing. Metal Gear 5 might not have to feel so unfinished anymore...

Loyal soldier to the end [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Trying to install infinite heaven mod with snakebite mod installer and it doesn't seem to work for some reason... or i am just stupid.
    Tried to open menu with V + shift like mod page said but it doesn't work. Tried with space also doesn't work.

Question: Which mod is the greatest to make MGS5 more challenging ?

edit: Got it working. Holding space did it, also via pad square button hold does same thing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    ^ Top  
  4. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Loving PC k/m controls.

Also love infinite heaven options. Like scaling of GMP and resources you get. Vanilla showers you with money while if you set it up to just 20% R&D and deployment costs will now be meaningful.
    It also gives option to unlock gunsmithing, sideops, buddies, playing as your own character etc from get go.

^ Top  
  5. Thane Solus Arcane

Thane Solus
    "i ll give my lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, not for honor, but for some gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyymmme play!!"

^ Top  
  6. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Set up player health just to 20% of normal value and enemy sight to 150%
    Man i get The Boss difficulty flashbacks from MGS4 and MGS3.

It is a shame that game was cut. No doubt they would deliver above in vanilla game if Konami wouldn't fuck up game.

^ Top  
  7. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    To be fair according to MGS5 story Medic which is who you play with and works as Big Boss double is who you kill in original Metal Gear on MSX. So he doesn't die at the end of MGS5 or anywhere near of that but he is killed via Solid Snake in first Metal Gear.
    It kinds of answers why he was revived in MG2. I think Bunnyhop covered it a year ago with his delve into MGS lore.

I think MGS5 could have great story if Kojima was allowed to finish because there are a lot of cues pointing to great story (like paz being on plarform) but like Bunnyhop said whole thing didn't pan out because clearly game had 3rd act cut out and it is obvious that not all things were put in Act 1/2 as they have weird pacing issues all over the place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Hardcore Mod.

-Increases enemy sight and hearing
    -Limits the throwable magazines to 6
    -Makes suppressors last much less
    -Increases enemy damage
    -Increases the time health regen starts to kick in and decreases the amount health regen
    -Limits ammo of all items and weapons by half
    -Makes camo a bit more useful

Funnily enough I think I was indirectly responsible for the creation of this mod.
    You see I made a request for a kind of Hardcore Mod in a reddit forum for MGS game mods, 2 weeks after the game released. And a few days later, in that same forum, the creator of the original version of Hardcore Mod (JRavens) made a post about his new mod for TPP that had pretty much all the aspects I had requested.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Isn't that what this video is showing? As the Big Boss double is dying, there is a quick flashback, which shows that Solid Snake was the one who killed him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    You might be right.

^ Top  
  11. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The whole point of the video, just a nice added fan-made cutscene set after Venom punches the mirror.

^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Oh i just remembered that RPCS3 aka emulator of PS3 lately got to very good point.
    Which means that i will download in a while PS3 version of Peace Walker (which runs at 1080p@60fps)

I finished peace walker years ago on PSP and while gameplay was great it was severely fucked with PSP lack of dual sticks.
    I hope PS3 version revisited controls.
    I should have it in hour or two and raport if this works and how is the performance.

For anyone who never played Peace Walker, Peace Walker essentially is MGS5 it even had MGS5 name for a while before they abruptly change title to peace walker before release. Whole motherbase aspect of game also is lightyears better in MGS PW.
    The only thing is that it has small maps and works more like old MGS games being really tight.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Well folks it works without any graphical or sound glitches and control is very good unlike PSP version.
    With Vulcan renderer i get most of the time 60fps with some downs to 45fps on larger maps at least at the beginning idk how more expansive maps later will work.
    On vulcan renderer initial few cutscenes crash emulator so go via opengl and then switch to vulcan back when you will go into mother base.

^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    That's nice to hear. Could you tell me the hardware you are running this emulator on?

^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    I5-3570k@4,5Ghz and GTX980. GPU doesn't really matter. CPU is important. With something like 7700k@5Ghz game should run 100% speed same as Demon's Souls.
    On my rig Demon's Souls runs around 30fps with dips to 25 a lot of times.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    There is a 360 released for Peace Walker too, also really good. 60 fps.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Yeah but Xenia(360 emu) isn't really running well games atm on pc. It just barely got working last year.

^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Ah okay, I meant the real deal though, hardware. Bought a cheap 360 to be able to play the old games remastered. But now I wish I bought a Ps3 instead, the collection on that system seems to include more games.

And of course Metal Gear 4 but separated.

^ Top  
  19. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman

Poor Sam. The only one left.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Didn't sprintel cell got killed even before MGS5 ? Last time i checked they kind made hitman like sequel and that got trashed and since then no one is working on anything related to that game.

^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Last game was Blacklist (I thought it was really good). But they put Sam in Ghost Recon Wildlands with his own mission pretty recently, maybe hinting that another game is being made. They even got Ironside back doing the voice over.

^ Top  
  22. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Damn i spent more time playing MGS5 with infinite heaven and i can't believe just how much fun i have.
    Those tweaks to difficulty make all the difference.

Last time i remember having so much fun like this was playing Jagged Alliance 2 because with those tweaks it really fucking resembles a lot JA2 on some level. Thanks to those changes stealth is superior way of doing thing if you have the skill but one slip up and you are in deep shit AT THE SAME TIME it moves violent action from meh dudebro shooter into stratosphere of pure tactical gaming bliss.

I though that i will have much more fun doing stealth with those tweaks (and i do) but surprisingly i found successor to commandos/hidden and dangerous/jagged aliance.

The main problem behind MGS5 violent option was that snake was essentially immortal. Sure you could kill him but enemies could see him much and then they would have to pack him to brim with bullets and kill him because if he would go away he would magically heal in no time. Game gives you bilions of tools to work your way out but it doesn't matter when you can't effectively die. So you run and gun ignoring everything.

No so much with those tweaks.

Thanks to those tweaks any kind of combat with more than 2-3 enemies is essentially death (2-3 bullets an ded) and since they can spot your from much further away they can also shot at your from much further away, which includes heavy weaponry. So no longer rambo is option.

Which forces you to use all those tools you have at disposal.
    Now sneaking into base to switch off generators and coms is legit way of doing things because stuff like air support now matters a lot.
    Bombardment is god send when you are alone and tanks are riding around you.

You work as tactician designing your attack from A to B to C, thinking constantly about outcomes, best way to approach things. Using different tactics for different situations.

Because suddenly taking on whole base is not the smartest idea you start to think about alternatives ways to accomplish your mission.
    How about using bombardment on one side of the base and essentially provoking most of enemies out of their barracks and then quickly strike in strike out to target building. dropping smoke granades meanwhile to cover your exit while you run away with prisoner ? Also spread some mines on path outside of base so your pursuers will get into nasty surprise.

I shit you not. Anyone loving that kind of tactical stuff should get MGS5 and infinite heaven mod and do those kind of tweaks.

Also i can't wait for community tools to get better. From what i understand is that people work right now on ability to freely place any stuff you want and edit patrol routes which will be awesome.

edit: What i would wish from modders would be to have ability to change AI patterns. I would love to fucking see enemies chasing you down like dog if they have sight on you. With increased line of sight they do follow you more but it is still not enough imo.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Solid Snail Learned

Solid Snail
    An option would be using PSNow and play the PS3 version from that. I have a shitty 8 MBit connection and I'm playing Ninja Gaiden 3 just fine, the streaming is really good, and you can use the PC app.

^ Top  
  24. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Perkel Does it fucks up the current save if you download and modify? Is it a pain to do?

^ Top  
  25. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Yeah, I want to do that, but that service isn't out in Sweden yet. Wanna try Metal Gear 4 that way.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)