Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

sullynathan

Arcane
Finished ground zeroes. Took me 53 minutes and got a B rank first try.

It's a very large base and controls well but not quite as well as phantom pain. There's some stiffness like slower sprinting speed, and surprisingly you can't hide enemies in trash cans and you can in phantom pain.

Holy shit I got a funny ass cutscene after rolling around in the beginning of the game.

The map screen isn't quite as good as phantom pain but the level is pretty good but I don't see how it's better than phantom pain unless you thoroughly dislike the open world.

Overall it's quite good. It's MGSV duh.

eXalted

Arcane
The map screen isn't quite as good as phantom pain but the level is pretty good but I don't see how it's better than phantom pain unless you thoroughly dislike the open world.
People were probably playing it 50 times before the MGSV release, it got under their skin and that's why they can't shake the feeling that it's better than the whole game. It's not.

sullynathan

Arcane
People were probably playing it 50 times before the MGSV release, it got under their skin and that's why they can't shake the feeling that it's better than the whole game. It's not.
In essence, it was the equivalent of one of the bases from phantom pain with a greater amount of buildings and slightly worse mechanics without any open world.

I could understand someone preferring if phantom pain just cut out all the bases and made them into different stages, but it isn't a "better game" nor does it particularly have better level design.

eXalted

Arcane
Also activating rain on using the Weather Control dazes the SKULL sniper chicks and makes them dance

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just played through the main mission of Ground Zeroes. Pleasantly surprised by how difficult this was, for a glorified game instruction.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The only guaranteed S rank on missions is to just speed through them, do them as fast as possible or try to get the No traces bonus which is 100 or 120k, but it's really tough. You can watch Prenatual on YouTube, he did No traces on almost all missions, with detailed descriptions as to why it wasn't possible on others.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right now all that's left for me is 100%ing the game, now that S Rank is out of the way I can finally break out ALL the tools.

Barely used any of them so far. Want to see if the stealth camo is any good.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Right now all that's left for me is 100%ing the game, now that S Rank is out of the way I can finally break out ALL the tools.

Barely used any of them so far. Want to see if the stealth camo is any good.
It's a stealth boy basically, that you can turn on or off, and if upgraded, it recharges when you sprint/run/move or are in sunlight.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I'm stuck at mission 29, where the Skulls go all in on you after the helicopter crash.

*sigh*

I've been playing this on PS NOW. I'm tempted to give the game up for now and replay it properly on PC sometime later. (I did use the Chicken cheat in a few missions).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm stuck at mission 29, where the Skulls go all in on you after the helicopter crash.

*sigh*

I've been playing this on PS NOW. I'm tempted to give the game up for now and replay it properly on PC sometime later. (I did use the Chicken cheat in a few missions).
The rooftops in the airport are somewhat safe enough for you to snipe them from.
For best results bring a Serval. Having Quiet with her anti materiel rifle is also good.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron

*sigh*

The rooftops in the airport are somewhat safe enough for you to snipe them from.
For best results bring a Serval. Having Quiet with her anti materiel rifle is also good.

Yeah I'm sure there are work arounds and that I could finish it if I tried hard enough. And I actually do like the game.
But it's a problem that has nothing to do with the game. I have my second kid now so I must cut on some gaming time. I need to focus on "one game at a time" only and MGS 5 has to go for now :'(

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

It's more because GZ as better level design and it's a more focused game. While TPP out of it's 40 or so missions only, 10 of them are any good and there's few well designed levels.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Releasing ground zeroes as a separate title was a mistake. It's a good set piece and would go a long way to filling out the dead space in MGSV.

Beowulf

Arcane
Releasing ground zeroes as a separate title was a mistake. It's a good set piece and would go a long way to filling out the dead space in MGSV.

Doing open world MGS game was a mistake. This game reaches its heights when doing more structured missions.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

Doing open world MGS game was a mistake. This game reaches its heights when doing more structured missions.

I disagree insofar as I can see what they were trying to do with the open world and tactical options, it's just the implementation failed, mostly because it's empty. Moving over land would be a lot more meaningful if there were platoons patrolling like there would be IRL, mortar and AA sections adapting to your reliance of certain tactics etc.

As it actually is, yeah it would've been better off something closer to MGS3

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Just having fuckers chase you from base to base would have helped.
I'm starting to suspect that the reason the Fox Engine runs so well is on account of how few the NPCs are per sector.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I’ve been replaying it after completing it on launch, and the temptation to beeline development right to a Tranq Sniper just like last time is strong. Problem is I don’t particularly know what to replace it with tactically.

I can’t hate this game too hard, though. For all the criticism, the moment-to-moment gameplay in missions is just extremely strong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom