Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    The only guaranteed S rank on missions is to just speed through them, do them as fast as possible or try to get the No traces bonus which is 100 or 120k, but it's really tough. You can watch Prenatual on YouTube, he did No traces on almost all missions, with detailed descriptions as to why it wasn't possible on others.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Right now all that's left for me is 100%ing the game, now that S Rank is out of the way I can finally break out ALL the tools.

Barely used any of them so far. Want to see if the stealth camo is any good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    It's a stealth boy basically, that you can turn on or off, and if upgraded, it recharges when you sprint/run/move or are in sunlight.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I'm stuck at mission 29, where the Skulls go all in on you after the helicopter crash.

*sigh*

I've been playing this on PS NOW. I'm tempted to give the game up for now and replay it properly on PC sometime later. (I did use the Chicken cheat in a few missions).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    The rooftops in the airport are somewhat safe enough for you to snipe them from.
    For best results bring a Serval. Having Quiet with her anti materiel rifle is also good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Yeah I'm sure there are work arounds and that I could finish it if I tried hard enough. And I actually do like the game.
    But it's a problem that has nothing to do with the game. I have my second kid now so I must cut on some gaming time. I need to focus on "one game at a time" only and MGS 5 has to go for now :'(

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    It's more because GZ as better level design and it's a more focused game. While TPP out of it's 40 or so missions only, 10 of them are any good and there's few well designed levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cretin Educated

cretin
    Releasing ground zeroes as a separate title was a mistake. It's a good set piece and would go a long way to filling out the dead space in MGSV.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. ropulos Learned

ropulos

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    Doing open world MGS game was a mistake. This game reaches its heights when doing more structured missions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    The bit where Snake turns to to look at every explosion. :lol:

^ Top  
  12. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    When are they going to remove Denuvo from this shit?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cretin Educated

cretin
    I disagree insofar as I can see what they were trying to do with the open world and tactical options, it's just the implementation failed, mostly because it's empty. Moving over land would be a lot more meaningful if there were platoons patrolling like there would be IRL, mortar and AA sections adapting to your reliance of certain tactics etc.

As it actually is, yeah it would've been better off something closer to MGS3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Just having fuckers chase you from base to base would have helped.
    I'm starting to suspect that the reason the Fox Engine runs so well is on account of how few the NPCs are per sector.

^ Top  
  15. ultimanecat Erudite

ultimanecat
    I’ve been replaying it after completing it on launch, and the temptation to beeline development right to a Tranq Sniper just like last time is strong. Problem is I don’t particularly know what to replace it with tactically.

I can’t hate this game too hard, though. For all the criticism, the moment-to-moment gameplay in missions is just extremely strong.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Fulton warhead launcher, mayhap?

^ Top  
  17. cretin Educated

cretin
    That's my suspicion too, or at least why I guess they left such large maps so empty.

^ Top  
  18. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    There's that mod Infinite Heaven which makes it so that enemies, helicopters, vehicles (including thanks) patrol the map and the enemy upgrades don't expire. It also allows your soldiers at mother base to ride vehicles and walkers and stuff and I think that you can also customize them further than in vanilla.
    I also remember that I didn't play it for long because it started acting up and was difficult to install. But still, pretty much a must have mod for this game.

^ Top  
  19. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf

That's actually my beef with the open world in MGS V.
    The world is rather empty with small of interests with small number of enemies here and there.

It get's interesting once you get to a mission area.
    Sure, you can have fun cheating AI along the way, but that's just filler.

^ Top  
  20. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    Open world doesn't means sandbox.

MGSV world is empty because it should be empty. The maps (Afganistan and Angola-zaire frontier) are supposed to be warzones, not theme parks. That's why I like them so much. Because they actually feel like conflict zones. And of course, there's no much things to do in conflict zones.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    That's the thing, there could be that great sense of being behind enemy lines, but it's pulled down by a somewhat static world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    Pfft

I don't want it to be a theme park a'la Skyrim. For example, I liked the open world of the Witcher 3, that many people here bash for being empty.
    But just compare Ground Zeros and any mission from the main game. There is only a handful that give you the same sense of scale, and many are just a little bigger compounds.

My point is - it's nice to have this open world, but I think that by creating it, the missions themselves took a hit.
    I think that MGSV would be a better game if it just had a string of hand created main missions without this open world part.
    But to each his own.

Anyway - MGSV still has great AI (in the sense it's actually fun to play against, not ruthlessly efficient) and many small systems that interconnect in good ways. And the most fluid animation transition I've ever seen in a game (soldiers surrendering, going from running to prone, etc ...).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    There's a lot of main missions MGSV that are lot more rich in terms of design that Ground zeroes. Even some "filler" missions have a lot of substance to them, like guards that are executing prisioners and you must save them or events like soldiers training kids. Even Camp omega as a map isn't that special compared to Afganistan base camp or the OKB Zero. The thing with Ground zeroes is that it's very well paced. It feels very "Metal gear" because it has abundant and strong cinematics through it, and also very tight and small gameplay sequence. The overall setting resembles a lot the Shadow moses entrance sequence from the first MGS, playing with your nostalgia if you follow the franchise from long ago (Like that scene where Snake takes off the binaculars). But leaving aside those things, it isn't that unique compared to a lot of missions from the final game.

The first 31 missions from TPP are very well designed overall, leaving aside some ones that are complete trash (Like the one where you have to destroy armored vehicles constantly). And the game goes downhill during the Chapter 2 of course, feeling completely rushed from that point.

^ Top  
  24. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    Well, that's my point - MGS is at its strongest in structured missions, so ..

^ Top  
  25. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    They don't feel like conflict zones though. They can't, because there's only one faction in them. If there's meant to be a war on then the Soviets just won by default, because there's nobody there to oppose them. Africa is even worse, since it's meant to be two sides fighting instead of an occupation, but there's no actual fight. There are just some mercenaries sitting in their outposts doing nothing.
    In an actual warzone you find war. There should be fights. There should be troops moving around. There should be resistance fighters hiding out in the wilderness/in towns. There should be civilians in the towns for the resistance fighters to blend in with. In MGS V you get none of that. All you get is some soldiers on holiday just sitting in their bases waiting for you to come by and rob them. That's the entire world, just empty space and soldiers waiting around.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)