Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Lots of MR armors suck. Good setbonus + crap loadout, too jewel dependent. Zorah MR set has Artillery 5 but lol tremor resist and nothing else for a CB build. Some of the MR Elder sets have decent parts but its hard to find anything worthwhile. I'll probably get MR Vaal Hazak for laziness.

Beat Velkhana, kinda trollish boss. Just jumps everywhere for the fight, CB is a pretty bad matchup. Spammed clutch claws like no tomorrow, won by slamming her head against a wall.

The master rank armor loadouts mirror the high rank meta, with beta pieces remaining the superior choice for end game, but still dependent on jewels (RNG bullshit). Zorah armor was overrated for a charge blade build, so don't worry about Artillery 5. Most common end game setups still revolve around Teostra's 3 set piece bonus, Master's Touch. Vaal's health regen is now a 2 set piece bonus, so it's an easy and comfortable defensive skill to fit in too. I ran the Tigrex set mid-game with CB skills slotted in, but you're kind of shafted if you don't have the necessary jewels. For anyone interested, check the following site for a quick CB build run down (still being updated):

https://mhwbuilds.net/charge-blade/

As for Velkhana, I found that the earlier Barioth (and Nargacuga to a lesser extent) was also very similar with his upgraded mobility, but you can at least wound his wings to stifle his movement which you can't do with Velk. Regardless, while the CB might seem like a bad matchup at first, I found that there were still plenty of openings to pull off a quick AED to the head, which is Velk's weak point and most effective way to topple it over for free damage. That on top of the clutch claw spam (and wall slamming) and switching between savage axe mode and the occasional SAED makes the fight much easier. Aside from Velkaha though, this is pretty much applicable to all of the high mobility monsters that don't spend a majority of the fight in the air (like the Kushala Daora cancer), so while other weapons may have better completion times against specific matchups, CB is still as versatile as it's always been when it comes to melee. Even some of the elemental charge blades out-damage the impact versions if the monster has a 3 star weakness (like the ice Kulve Taroth CB did in high rank), which adds even more variety. I'm just glad the ugly Diablos CB is no longer the optimal choice for damage.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Using the Scorching Demander+ with fire attack 3 on Valkhana I hit for 50-100 damage per phial explosion, making SAED 600+ damage. With Chrome Fortress 3 the damage is like 30 without artillery, so even with 5 points I'd still not match the plain elemental damage. I don't see why I would go with Impact except for certain elemental resistant enemies like Nerg.

Master's Touch seems pretty meh for CB, not worth three whole armor pieces when you can get crit element for two Velk pieces and just sharpen more often. That page has no elemental CB builds last I checked.

I don't have a magazine jewel of course so that leaves me with few choices for capacity, I might try a mixed Velk/Kazak set for health recover and crit element + brachy head for cap. See how that works. I like to use a bow for certain hunts (Bazel and Kirin) so the set will have some overlap.

I don't see why I would go with Impact except for certain elemental resistant enemies like Nerg.

Don't forget that impact phials rival the hammer when it comes to KOing monsters, which elemental phials can't do (can easily be proced several times during a hunt). Impact phials also deal fixed damage regardless of hitzones, making them a jack-of-all-trades that can be used universally, where as elemental phials are dependent on hitting weakspots, which is why the damage can vary. Once you gain access to the highest raw damage CBs, artillery 3 and some offensive skills are all that's required for a steady 100+ per phial damage from SAED spam, along with a viable savage axe mode (more so for the larger cumbersome monsters, or the smaller ones that get knocked over all the time).

Aside from those strong points though, the elemental options do have the capacity to out-damage the best impact options for specific monsters, and they're not solely dependent on high raw or artillery, which can be more difficult to slot in than the required elemental attack (due to the rarity), so I understand your choice for Velkhana. Impact CBs overall can be lackluster without a good selection of RNG decorations, but both are hurt by a lack of a magazine jewel though, so it sucks that don't have access to one. Changing the randomness of charms from the older games to decorations this generation was a shit decision, when the RNG should have been dropped altogether.

That page has no elemental CB builds last I checked.

It doesn't yet, as the high raw impact meta is still alive in Iceborne (for the moment), but it was very informative when showcasing the best builds for the base game (now listed under Pre-Iceborne), including the Kulve Taroth elemental CBs which were the first viable elemental options before Iceborne. I expect more information will be posted there in the coming weeks once additional testing/damage calculations are finished. They also previously complied many HR poverty builds that weren't decoration dependent, so a comparative MR list should be helpful for those with limited options.

I did find the following Silver Sol end game builds, but all of these are dependent on the 4pc Silver Rath bonus and certain decorations:

https://imgur.com/a/XLj1eSk

Might be best to try out the Velk/Hazak/Brachy set you suggested, at least until the RNGod smiles upon you (or more options open up later on with free updates). However, you could also try playing around with this Iceborne armor set search to find something more suitable, if you have the patience:

https://mhw.wiki-db.com/sim/?hl=en

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah I don't know how long I'll play Grinding Lands, I need something to last through the endgame and early postgame. Some people were pointing out Namielle's elemental acceleration skill, with 2 pieces you get +60 element after a few hits, also good with bows.

I actually got an artillery+ gem last night though so that makes Impact more attractive again.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Is this game any good as a pure solo experience?

It is amazing single player game. It is great co-op game but nothining feels as great as defeating yoru nemesis alone without anyone help.

I'm still miffed that the Shakalakas were thrown out like yesterdays dinner after 3U. They are by far more enjoyable companions than cats, and had a lot more utility in controlling them with the masks, but of course fucking cats are going to win the popularity contest thanks to Japan.

Vorark

Erudite
Just checked the new settings added by the Iceborne update for the base version of MHW. Good stuff overall and they could've ported most of it to the PC version at least (granted, mods already do most of it, but it's nice to have it fully integrated to the game).

You can freely turn on/off bits of the UI instead of being a all or nothing affair:
1.jpg

Login screen was sligthly changed:
2.jpg

You're able to check the weather in the map screen. People can finally skip doing quests in Ancient Forest when it's raining...
3.jpg

Notice the "Delete All" button -- you can easily dispose of useless investigations instead of deleting one by one:
5.jpg

View/Camera mode can be added to the radial menu:
6.jpg

View mode UI:
7.jpg

I don't own IB but it seems Capcom is slowly adding the low/high rank armors as layered. You need a special monster material that can be obtained in the Guiding Lands in order to enable them. Would explain the revamped layered menu:
4.jpg

Forgot to take a screenshot of the new scoutfly setting, in which you can turn off the forced camera hijack/neck snap. While a welcome change, I was expecting Capcom to go all out and let you fully disable the scoutflies. Guess people really need their gps...

Vorark

Erudite
https://steamcommunity.com/games/582010/announcements/detail/3579724547733116709

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

Pre-purchase for Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is now available! Monster Hunter World: Iceborne officially releases worldwide on January 9, 2020 (due to time zone differences this may be January 10 in some regions).

About Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Pre-purchase
・ Includes the bonus "Yukumo" layered armor set. Layered armor changes your character's appearance while leaving your base armor's defense and skills unchanged. Put this armor set on over your base armor to change your character's appearance into the series favorite "Yukumo" armor set!

・ The "Master Edition"—a set that includes both the base game Monster Hunter: World and the expansion Monster Hunter World: Iceborne—will be available for purchase on January 9, 2020. See the official website for more details. (The Master Edition includes the "Yukumo" layered armor set as an early purchase bonus.)

What is Monster Hunter World: Iceborne?
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is a massive expansion to Monster Hunter: World, including a brand new story that picks up after the ending of Monster Hunter: World as well as a host of new content: a new quest difficulty rank, new moves, locales, monsters, weapons, armor, and much more!

Note: This content requires the base game Monster Hunter: World on Steam in order to play

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Guys I wanna play this game but I can't fucking handle the dumb UI taking up like 60% of the screen. Isn't there a way to make the minimap way smaller or toggle it, not show that I have 20/20 stones, autohide the item bar, and make the health bar and crap up top more compact?

I know I can disable the ui entirely but I kinda need to be able to see the health bar, just don't want this stuff taking up so much space :(

Vorark

Erudite
An option to toogle parts of the interface on/off was added by the update right before Iceborne went live on consoles, might be the same on PC. Other than that, I've only seen mods to turn the whole thing off.

Vorark

Erudite
https://gematsu.com/2019/11/monster...te-to-add-stygian-zinogre-launches-december-5

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne expansion second major title update to add Stygian Zinogre, launches December 5

The second major title update for the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne expansion will add Stygian Zinogre as a huntable monster and launch on December 5, Capcom announced at Monster Hunter Fes ’19 to ’20 in Tokyo.

The Stygian Zinogre has a symbiotic relationship with Dracophage Bugs, which it releases “like bullets,” and becomes even more dangerous when covered in light.
The update will also include new weapons and armor sets, a new region in the Guiding Lands (Tundra Region), the launch of the first Astera Fest following the launch of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, and for the PlayStation 4 version of the game, the second and third Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds collaboration quests. Capcom will release a “Developer Diary Vol. 4” that fully details the update on December 4.

Monster Hunter: World is available now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and the Monster Hunter World: Iceborne expansion is available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with a PC release due out on January 9, 2020.

I thought Stygian was already in :|

Ialda

Learned
Stiggy, good old friend, you never fail to give us good craftable dragon element weapons <3

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got this on the steam sale, and having a lot of fun. I like how the grind in this game is with epic Boss fights and good tactical combat, not mindlessly nuking packs of trash mobs like in Diablo likes. They got a great concept and executed very well.

My best moment was struggling with the Barroth in the desert, the guy was fleeing limping like a bitch after 20 minutes fighting him, and he stops close to a small cactus guy , I get close to see if he is a summon like the palicos in that map, push the B button, sense that he is a trap guy like others, get out very fast and see how that small BRO kill him with barrages of spines causing Hundreds of damage. 10/10 moment.

Liking a lot also to capture the bosses over kiling them, another layer of fun.

The best fight so far has been the Anjanath. Forged a water long sword farming the Mud thug and got him. The electric monster in the forest very good also.

Got to the coral map, and the textures and landscape there trigger me and have a hard time playing there, so I got MH 4U. So far I'm liking it even more than MHW. It's obvious that the combat it's not so developed and the hardware limitations burden it. But I like the slowest pace and not having to pursue feeling mosnters for minutes. It also seems like a more strategic game. I'm the only one here that likes it more than World?

Anyway great franchise and games, Capcom is crushing it: DMC5, RE2 remake and this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
monster hunter is definitely something that sounds worse on paper than played. at first i really wasn't convinced by the description, but experiencing how it plays itself what made me love it.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
If MHW with Iceborne manages to genuinely surpass or equal 3U/4U but being playable on a larger screen than the 3DS and with m+kb, this could consume my life.

Vorark

Erudite
Got to the coral map, and the textures and landscape there trigger me and have a hard time playing there, so I got MH 4U.

What's the problem, is it the overbearing bloom? If so, Capcom reworked the color space for the base game with a pre-Iceborne update, many areas now looks better and won't melt your eyeballs off.

You should also give 3U a try, it's even slower and there are monsters that never made it to the sequels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom