Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Mordhau - Monocled First-Person Medieval Melee Game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ESh, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ESh Arcane

ESh

I've kept an eye on this project for a while, and since Codex is enthusiastic towards Kingdom Come Deliverance I imagined this might be of interest.

Short summary is that it's a Chivalry-esque medieval melee multiplayer with realistic and highly skillbased combat. :obviously:
    I recommend watching these dev blogs, damn impressive stuff:

No Unity!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. lili Unwanted

Unwanted
    didnt for honor already flop?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ESh Arcane

ESh
    For Honor is a high budget AAA game and would require far more sales than a 10-man indie project to get even.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. PulsatingBrain Magister Patron

PulsatingBrain
    That looks great, especially the jousting, but the multiplayer focus puts me off. I got War of the Roses and Chivalry based on them looking great but it just wasn't fun because other people. It would probably help if any of my friends play stuff like this

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  5. ESh Arcane

ESh
    I actually agree, I would be more interested in a singleplayer game in this style, but sadly making a campaign would probably require a lot more resources and neglect the development of the actual system with a team this small.
    Plus the devs are Chivalry fanboys, they likely don't have nearly as much interest in making a singleplayer experience.

Luckily there will be Kingdom Come Deliverance for that!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    Kickstarter is littered with failed, promising projects, made by well meaning and ambitious amateurs. This projects looks great though, I have to give them that. I'll hold out for Bannerlord though.

^ Top  
  7. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    If there's no mention of a possibility for nekkid female fighters, I am not interested.

• Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Finded out about this game almost a year ago. Didn't peak my interest.

But now that it's more developed. Oh boy! A truly skill based combat. Horseback combat. Customizable classes. Siege weapons. Unreal Engine with good PC optimization. 64 player matchs. Bots. Dedicated servers. :bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I hope they truly realease an amazing game.

And don't fall of the same traps as Chivalary and War of the Roses.

Also happy that they have shown to capture some sword fighting realism while rembering that is still a game and it needs to be fun to play (something that so far Kingdom Come hasn't showed). But both game have yet to be realesed so only then we will truly see

The lack of single palyer doesn't bother me much, since they have at least put bots in the game (something wich almost isn't in any multiplayer game).

Hope they manage to put trebuchets and siege towers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    lost me at multiplayer. i'm old. Plus I hate playing with kids.

I was playing Overwatch last night and some guy said "Out team has good meta" and "Damn, I wish our Reinhardt wouldn't YOLO so much" uninstalled
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    • Old Old x 10
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Aothan Magister

Aothan
    Mordhau is widely regarded to be the next Chivalry style game, for related reasons it is very likely Mordhau won't be undermined with many of the problems that turned away most of Chivalry's playerbase. Feinting will still be in, a problem perhaps, it mostly depends on how this will be implemented and balanced

^ Top  
  11. pippin Guest

pippin
    warband is the only game you need

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tormund Arcane

tormund
    Multiplayer-only indie game. That always worked out well in the past.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Just reached 200k strech goal wich is Mod Tools. :bounce::bounce::bounce::incline:

Can't wait to see the kind of shit people will come up with. Awesome battlefield like gigantic maps with 100 players.

Next strech goal is Competive Matchmaking at 275k. There is 9 days left so they possibily won't be able to achieve it.

They could however reveal what are the last 2 strech goals.

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Mordhau's kickstarting just ended with $298,608 pledged.
    This is what they acheived.

[​IMG]

I pledged 25 jewros today eaning the game on realease.

They also realeased a new video recentely with only combat footage and no comments.

Shit's looking gud.:hero:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    Looks fun, though armor apparently does nothing and a massive maul just bounces off a sword blade easy haha.
    Wonder if they'll put in some kind of armor system that can then be modded via mod tools, would be nice. Esp. if kingdom come turns out to be less than stellar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    It does have an armor system.

Besides they are still in pre-Alpha. This will only released in March of the next year.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  17. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    That's something at least, I watched their explanation at the end.
    Certainly a step up overall vs. what games we have now as far as I can tell.
    Great to see you can grip halberds etc higher up the shaft for close-in fighting. M&B doesn't have that and it completely fucks up polearm troops.
    Also forgot to mention in my previous post that I noticed some of the attacks in the pre alpha melee combat footage featured the character boosting themselves forward (lunging attacks?). That's really nice, M&B for example had that issue where all characters moved like UT bots and just swung wildly from only the upper body. No way to quickly close distance/lunge forward. Add the slow startup on directional movement and well, super awkward gameplay as a result.
    Wonder if Mordhau has a modifier button for that or if particularly strong attacks do it automatically. Also hope kingdom come will have such a function...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
  19. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    What's the point of these games? I mean, no matter how good the combat system might be, you just run around and fight people, over and over, without any real meaning. I have enjoyed some competitive-type multiplayer games in the past, but they really don't need a cool historical setting or a realistic combat system. This kind of stuff would be much more fitting for a meaningful single player game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    The Alpha was realeased. And it's looking good.

^ Top  
  21. Aothan Magister

Aothan
    the game looks just like what Chivalry 2 should have been, but there are reasons to be apprehensive, the developers are making the game for a much smaller subset of the Chivalry population, being the players who stayed after the mechanics were taken to new levels of exploitation. This is not quite the feedback loop to rely on when trying to gain the popularity Chivalry once hand. The full every night servers became one and a half full regional servers when everyone but the hardcore players left after the discovery of reverse overheads

the developers really need to understand the more these asynchronous attacks (i.e. dragging where the attack does not even connect but still registers) remain and become central to gameplay the more the hardcore players will perfect these techniques and consequently the quicker everyone else will leave; they need to take a new trajectory using the same fundamental design but avoid mechanics that are going to lead to what in the eyes of many will only be glitchy play styles- and many of these players will already be wary after the downfall of Chivalry

even reading the official forums people are stating without irony their 'training regimes' where they intend to train for weeks or months learning chambering (I knew chambering would be at the top of the list) before even bothering to try multiplayer. This is just that type of game that makes people play with a need to win which is going to quickly give others the wrong impressions, even now people are buying alpha keys for $200+ US...these hardcore players will be in every serving, thriving on the influx of new players, this already happened, hopefully the developers do not mistake the positive feedback they are receiving from a particularly segmented group as generally representative of the overall populating they are intending the game for

tl;dr the first video shows everyone swinging out wide, on what seems to be all their attacks, this tells me dragging is a little different but has a similar function, and similarly how many of these 'telegraphed' (dragged attacks) are not being blocked

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    It has been quite sometime, but there's been developments.

The game is due to release somewhere in the Q2 of this year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Gets released 29th of this month.

• incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. deama Arbiter

deama
    Is it gonna be f2p or am I gonna have to "buy" this?

Also, I think the name is shit, hard to pronounce, hard to remember. Why didn't they just go with battlefield 1066?

^ Top  
  25. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    You have to buy it. The name is alright, it's fitting - mordhau is the german word for murder-strike/murder-blow, which is a technique of medieval fencing. Battlefield is copyrighted.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)