Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mordhau - Monocled First-Person Medieval Melee Game

deama

Prophet
Does the game have any progression?

deama

Prophet
More like quake I guess. You have game modes, maps, server lists choose your loadout, spawn and start killing shit.
Is it gonna have ranked from release or are there gonna be any plans for ranked? Any idea when?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I think they are going to have both raked and unranked servers right from the get go.

From what I know, this game's multiplayer format is like that of the 2000-2011 games.
As in:
-server lists and matchmaking
-direct ip connection
-dedicated servers
-self hosting
-LAN
-Bots
-multiple game modes (both classic modes -deathmatch, team deatmatch, capture the flag, conquest, king of the hill - and modern ones - operations, battle royale)
-customizable loadouts
-maybe those CoD/BF esque progression systems (get xp, level up, buy shit for customization)

It will also have mod tools.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This game looks like a lot of fun. I wanted to like Chivalry, but it just ended up getting really stale for me pretty fast. This seems like it might not have that problem, particularly because of the freedom of movement, lack of established classes, customization equipment loadouts, and heavy emphasis on player skill. Hope it's good and has more staying power than Chivalry. Pretty tempted to grab it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
Got it at release. Played like 4 hours so far.
There are lots of issues with lags, matchmaking takes forever and usually says that the server is full or connection timed out and server browser doesn't have game mode filters and sorting. So it takes quite a while to get into the game that doesn't lag.:negative:

Also unlocking new weapons requires xp and gold, similar to chivalry, but more often than not you don't get anything after the match, due to some bug(also similar to Chivalry).
I wonder how did they manage to not fix this before release, seeing as there was a year or two of alphas and betas.

Otherwise seems like chivalry 2.0 so far.

Pretty cool that you can mix and match weapons, armor types (light, medium, heavy) and perks in any combination, provided the points cost doesn't get above the limit. There is separate armour for head, torso and legs affecting stats, and costing points, the rest of the gear are cosmetics.
Some fun perks too, i found the "regen full hp on kill" and "decrese regen delay by 66%" perks to be particulary interesting. :D

You can customize each weapon too, possibly even affecting the stats (e.g. different lenghts of shafts for the spear and different heads). Though that might be just cosmetics, didn't get enough xp to try yet.

Also you can pick defeated enemies weapons.

The main(?) game mode "Frontline" is kinda simialr to Chivalry's TO but inferior. Instead of attacking and defending team, both teams are defending. There are various objectives like push the ram, destroy supplies etc but like 90% of the time neither team gets to complete one and the mode ends up being more like "king of the hill", with the team that held victory points longer winning.

Theres also some kind of "Battle royale" mode and the "Horde" mode vs bots, though no idea who would want to play that instead of "Frontline".

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Your weapon still deals damage irrelevant of how fast it's actually moving at the moment of impact, get this trash outta here.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's optimization? I'm still stuck with an i3 haswel, still waiting for ryzen 3000 to fully upgrade so now I'm fully dependant on RX 570. These kinds of game never go easy on CPU.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There are lots of issues with lags, matchmaking takes forever and usually says that the server is full or connection timed out and server browser doesn't have game mode filters and sorting.

I hadn't issues with lag, but with matchmaking I had to almost always try a 2nd to enter a server. Still considering they are indies and this is their first game they are doing rather well here. Most AAA multiplayer games are far worse at release then they are.
However having a server browser but almost no filters and ways to sort is pretty dumb. But the worst thing about is the fact that server have to be rented.

but more often than not you don't get anything after the match, due to some bug

I didn't have this issue.

Otherwise seems like chivalry 2.0 so far.

Yeah. It's pretty much Chivalry with polished and more advanced mechanics.
Attacks can be morphed into other moves before they are fully commited, weapons can be used in alternative ways, you can only block by positioning the weapon (shield) in the attacks direction (not by simply clicking the defend button), there's no reverse strikes, etc.
The weapon collision and hitboxes are top notch (you can even deflect an arrow by striking).
Archery is hard but does more damage and it's fun and a legit way to play as.
So far I wouldn't say there's any OP build.
Also you can mantle, they had the good sense to implement that.

There is separate armour for head, torso and legs affecting stats, and costing points, the rest of the gear are cosmetics.

No, all armor parts affect your stats. And the amount of armor parts is insane compared to other games: head, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, torso, waist, legs and feet.

Your weapon still deals damage irrelevant of how fast it's actually moving at the moment of impact, get this trash outta here.

Horse speed does influence your damage I think. You can't increase your attacks speed so, on foot, that is an irrelevant factor.

How's optimization? I'm still stuck with an i3 haswel, still waiting for ryzen 3000 to fully upgrade so now I'm fully dependant on RX 570. These kinds of game never go easy on CPU.

I have a i5-6500, 8Gb of DDR4 RAM and a RX480 8Gb and can run the game with everything maxed out with 60+ fps.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can't increase your attacks speed so, on foot, that is an irrelevant factor.
It's not an irrelevant factor when it enables retarded "mechanics" like dragging your weapon across the screen and still dealing full damage at the end of the swing.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Looks like Dark Messiah, so the question is
CAN I KICK???

You can. You can even defend from kick by performing a kick yourself.
I also discovered if a player is standing on the other side of a closed door, and you kick it open, that will be sent to the ground.

You can't increase your attacks speed so, on foot, that is an irrelevant factor.
It's not an irrelevant factor when it enables retarded "mechanics" like dragging your weapon across the screen and still dealing full damage at the end of the swing.

While there is dragging it's very reduced compared to Chivalry. This was intentional and the devs explained why (they even put it in the FAQ), it's in their opinion a good thing because it a technique that rewards skillful play and they made sure it can't be cheesed and players can counter it.

Alpharius

Scholar
There is separate armour for head, torso and legs affecting stats, and costing points, the rest of the gear are cosmetics.

No, all armor parts affect your stats. And the amount of armor parts is insane compared to other games: head, neck, shoulders, arms, hands, torso, waist, legs and feet.
Says cosmetic here:
cNJs50W.jpg
Same for the rest of the armor except for head, torso and legs.

Edit: Played some more Frontline mode and unfortunately it sucks enormous hairy balls compared to Chivalry's TO. Its just a glorified team deathmatch cause it turned out the team with most kills wins, not the team that held objectives longer. :decline:

Already got bored of it.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
I've got a question of utmost importance: is there a single player mode?

I don't want to throw money at a game again that completely dies because the servers get shut down and there's no possibility to fight against bots ( War of the Roses :argh: War of the Vikings :argh: )

Alpharius

Scholar

I don't want to throw money at a game again that completely dies because the servers get shut down and there's no possibility to fight against bots ( War of the Roses :argh: War of the Vikings :argh: )
Nope.

There is LAN mode, "rent server" button in server browser and some kind of "local match" vs bots though.

Martyr

Arcane

Nope.

There is LAN mode, "rent server" button in server browser and some kind of "local match" vs bots though.
aha! local match vs bots does equal single player, doesn't it?
so that even if the official servers were to be shut down forever I could still play the aforementioned "local match"??

Alpharius

Scholar

Nope.

aha! local match vs bots does equal single player, doesn't it?
so that even if the official servers were to be shut down forever I could still play the aforementioned "local match"??
I guess you should be able to.

Tried it with internet connection turned off and local match works fine. Only i cant actually join the match for some reason, only spectate bots. :lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

There's no single player.
You can however create a LAN server and play with Bots (and the limit of player in a server is 64).
The game does have normal server creation but unfortunately you have to rent it. The only way not to is inviting a bunch of friends and create a match between you.

Fighting games are for ADHD kids.

Fighting and action games are great. They are one of the few genres of games were gameplay is the absolute king. And when the mechanics are well designed and polished the gameplay experience is absolutely engaging and fun in a way very few games can be.

Are there any taunts in the game? Like Chivalry with gems like "Show me your backside, 'tis your best side!"

Yes.
You can even, in some swords, unscrew the pommel and throw it at an enemy (end him rightly!).

Y'all just have to keep in mind the game was released this week. So there's still some polish to be made and content to be released - the devs will launch Mod tools, they want to make more maps (specially a middle east/crusaders stuff) and even more weapons are armor (they stated they might release of Eastern weapons/armor).

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane

There's no single player.
You can however create a LAN server and play with Bots (and the limit of player in a server is 64).
The game does have normal server creation but unfortunately you have to rent it. The only way not to is inviting a bunch of friends and create a match between you.

yeah, I didn't mean campaign and story when I said single player. a LAN server with bots is perfect.

I'm still not over War of the Roses/Vikings which literally became unplayable once they shut down the servers, since the players aren't allowed to create servers themselves. got their corpses rotting in my steam library, reminding me of better days that are long gone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom