Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mordhau - Monocled First-Person Medieval Melee Game

PrettyDeadman

I have to admit, maps are worse compared to chivalry (even Deadliest Warrior).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah. They have to make more maps and game modes or the game will die out in a few months.
They also shouldn't release the mod tools late.

Jinn

Arcane
Lack of maps and hardly seeing Frontline (IE the only somewhat interesting game mode for me) servers is honestly why I had to request a refund. I'll definitely keep watching the game because it was pretty fun and I see fair potential, but I could already feel the creeping feeling of buyer's remorse in the first hour and a half of playing.

I foresee the player base of this dwindling pretty quickly once the hype dies down if they don't release new stuff more quickly or push mod support very fast. And yeah, the maps they have now were pretty damn underwhelming.

Alpharius

Scholar
Lack of maps and hardly seeing Frontline (IE the only somewhat interesting game mode for me) servers is honestly why I had to request a refund. I'll definitely keep watching the game because it was pretty fun and I see fair potential, but I could already feel the creeping feeling of buyer's remorse in the first hour and a half of playing.
You can select frontline in server browser filter and it'll show only servers with frontline. Official ones don't switch game modes.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Playing this makes me realize how much better Warband is in the swordfighting department compared to other games.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
They already said they were going to include new maps and modes in free updates after they fix the server issues (by adding more servers, they didn't expect it the game to do as well as it has)

The game will also have modding/steam workshop support so expect people to port over Chiv maps.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the best thing about this game is the character creation and how you are not locked into specific pre-made builds or classes.

made a dude w/ a 3 firebombs, all medium armors with the perks that reduces fire damage, makes the enemy drop all their equipment on kill, and decreases team dmg.. can spawn in, chuck 3 fire bombs behind the enemy and as they back up to defend from getting attacked, start melting and dropping like flies.. then I can run in there and grab their equipment. weapons and armor procurred on site.

Alpharius

Scholar
Playing this makes me realize how much better Warband is in the swordfighting department compared to other games.
Never played it, but watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKvP2VoqTvw and doesn't its combat system come down to playing rock-paper-scissors faster than your opponent? Ofc there is also range and weapon diffenrence to consider, but idk. I like the way parries and ripostes are handled in Chivalry and Mordhau much more.

Edit: Not implying thats its easy to play this rock-paper-scissors game, it seems hard to learn and nigh on impossible to master, but not very fun. And it being the core part of the combat system would mean that one can't really take part in melee in m&b warband and not immediately get rekt unless one expended enormous ammount of effort into getting good at it.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Warband is meant to be played in third person and the game's chambering is less forgiving than Mordhau. You can hold swings and blocks and don't have a half second delay on every single action you want to take and kicking isn't as fucked up. It might seem simpler but you have way more options in every engagement and can switch between them on the fly whereas in Mordhau you have a tiny window to feint or morph and can't hold a swing or block.

PrettyDeadman

Warband is meant to be played in third person and the game's chambering is less forgiving than Mordhau. You can hold swings and blocks and don't have a half second delay on every single action you want to take and kicking isn't as fucked up. It might seem simpler but you have way more options in every engagement and can switch between them on the fly whereas in Mordhau you have a tiny window to feint or morph and can't hold a swing or block.
You can hold block with shields in Mordhau & holding strike is just stupid (also it dumbs down fighting).

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Everyone just spams thrusts with rapiers anyways and the chambering is so easy you get people chambering until one of their stamina bars run out. It's already dumb.

PrettyDeadman

Everyone just spams thrusts with rapiers anyways and the chambering is so easy you get people chambering until one of their stamina bars run out. It's already dumb.
You describe a simple solution to a braindead spamming tactic. I don't think it would've been better if in order to counter some braindead shit you your only option would've been some technically demanding high iq move.
In regular combat (not against some one button spammers) chambering adds more complexity.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Chambering does offer more complexity when done right, which it isn't in Mordhau. It costs more stamina than parrying and has a huge window to do.

PrettyDeadman

Chambering does offer more complexity when done right, which it isn't in Mordhau. It costs more stamina than parrying and has a huge window to do.
It costs more stamina because it's more effective. It doesn't guarantee a hit (unless opponent is dragging too much), but paired with dragging/accelerating counterattack it is just one of the ways to throw opponent off guard. What else do you need from that mechanic and how changing it's stamina cost or other attribute can transform it to the right?

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Playin "Imagine" on the Lute in the middle of flying legs, hands and heads, with dozen of knight stabbing, slashing, crushing and yell in pain agony around is really something worth to live for.

Grab LuteBot 1.2 and play this or other famous tracks on the lute in the medieval battle. Nothing beats more than humble peasant with a lute playing Raining blood in the middle of apocaliptic battlefield.
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13519/mordhau-lute-bot/

Vityaz

Augur
The Dodge perk is pretty good in this game, especially with weapons that have a humongous reach (Zweihander, Spear).

However, it can easily become a clutch and more experienced players will not let themselves get baited into distance poking.

So yeah, the game is predy gud so far IMHO.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Anyone playing this after release? Except me ofc. I'm having fun, altough - they really need to introduce more maps into the game.
Bloodlust perk is pretty OP, I agree. I run it on two of my builds and man - sometimes I got like 5-10 kill streaks in shitty game where I had 3/10 before. Like going into killing frienzy, chopping opponents to pieces one after another.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think this is the best medieval combat game thus far. It also has more variety than the other ones and the customization is quite nice without being exploitative.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
If you guys are having trouble learning the ropes - I strongly suggest You going to one of the custom servers where people are duelling. First of all, You can earn points just like in any other mode - Second of all, You will learn how to block, dodge, chamber and other things - very efficiently. Basicly, You'd get much better, compared to getting killed all the time in Frontier mode. Great practice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom