Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Poseidon00

Arcane
I don't think it's possible to recreate anything similar to the BG2 experience in NWN, because BG2 had full party control. If my party in BG2 has two spellcasters, I can use them to work together as a team, e.g. one mage casts greater malison, the other follows with confusion. That's fun. If you have a spellcaster henchman in NWN, they are useless at best, and at worst a clusterfuck waiting to happen. And that's not fun. I only ever take spellcasting henchmen in NWN because of a) quests or b) if I really like them.

That's something that an Enhanced Edition of Neverwinter Nights could actually do to make the game substantially better than it is right now. So of course they didn't do it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah I would too. That's a neat idea they could have implemented if they had the passion for it. Of course, it's easier to live off community mods and portrait packs.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
So I got NWN EE for phone and PC.... Wish I didn't. Should have stuck with diamond. There is literally nothing better about it and it uses MORE CPU! My laptop runs NWN Diamond with no fan and EE the fan turns on. Really makes you think. It's only $2 so no big loss.

Edit: The Kivan rip off new portrait is triggering my autism hard. If I wanted BG portraits I'd just add them myself no need for an inferior palette swap.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The Blackguard series does indeed have some of the most difficult combat to be found for NWN, and is worth playing for the tactical challenge.

The story and role-playing reactivity are unfortunately rather disappointing, as you are basically forced to play a stereotypical psycho-killer. It also unnecessarily limits possible character types even on the mechanical side, since playing much of anything other than a Fighter/Blackguard focused on Longsword was apparently not expected by the author and presents special challenges. It is possible to start as a Rogue, Bard or Cleric, but starting with a Medium BAB class will likely force you to murder some random people to farm them for XP if you are to meet the requirements for taking a Blackguard level by the time it is required (though doing so is perfectly possible and in character). You can eventually get good versions of a variety of weapons as well (IIRC, Short Sword, Greatsword, Bastard Sword, Katana, Battle Axe, Greataxe and Scythe are viable long term), but you will get a good Longsword first making other choices sub-optimal (and the series really rewards optimization).

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I made it to part 2 of Blackguard and went to the orc camps in the wrong order and it just breaks the game. CBF doing it again.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I started a new character and it appears I have (very) little time to play, didn't yet reach Swordflight 3. I'll report in time, when I'll get a while to progress and to play part four.

EDIT: As far as I've ever played Swordflight it never sucked, so I doubt S4 will suck. Just to inform.

Last edited:

NatureOfMan

Educated
Is it just me or I just can't get into Persistent Worlds? Ravenloft is pretty nice looking and I like the setting but it feels like such a slog sometimes. My only source of exp right now is roleplaying with others and while that may be fun I would've liked quests or a little bit of dungeon crawling from time to time. Talking about quests why are they so subpar? I've played on Arelith, Cormyr and Ravenloft and all the quests are your typical WoW go kill x or collect x quests. I realise that DM quests/events are the main questing experiences in PWs but I would have expected more creativity.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Just a heads up to people playing Swordflight 4 that it has a rather serious bug if played in the EE version, in which you often cannot click on "Force Field" doors, making it impossible to access some content. This has been reported to Beamdog (it could possibly be relevant in other modules too) but I do not know if or when they will do anything about it. However, I hope to soon put up a revised version of the module with a temporary fix for the problem, and a few other minor tweaks. Hopefully in the next few days.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, I played EE... for exactly five minutes. The only thing I liked about it was the main text UI was scalable and so you didn't have to suffer tiny text at high resolutions. I was going to play Stellaris from Paradox at my big screen HD TV's native resolution to avoid the blurries but the fonts are too small. I wish Paradox would adopt scalable fonts for their strategy games.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Updated version now available.

It seems the buttons to rate posts are no longer available? Has the Codex's management been taking lessons from Beamdog on how to introduce improved features and give them proper QA testing?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Updated version now available.

It seems the buttons to rate posts are no longer available? Has the Codex's management been taking lessons from Beamdog on how to introduce improved features and give them proper QA testing?
Over here, the buttons they come and go. But brofists are forever.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Should I give a shit about the NWNEE for casual co-op multiplayer? I have friends wanting to try it out now that it has received some new exposure, but I don't know if they're not better off being handed an NWN Diamond install from GoG and calling it a day. I have another friend claiming that EE makes SoU/HotU more easily playable in multiplayer (?).

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was planning to replay Swordflight in the upcoming week and I were wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding class/race choices seeing as at least the later modules seem to place some significance at these choices.

Lilura rogueknight333

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom