Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New to blobbers, what to play?

Ensi

Educated
I've played Legend of Grimrock which was alright. I've played some Wiz 8 and liked it a lot but didn't continue, need to get back to it eventually. Right now I'm playing Wiz 7 and it's pretty great. What should I play next? Or what are some classics I shouldn't miss? Other than finishing Wiz 8.

I like grid based and turn-based the most, and I'd prefer to have something to look at so not like M&M 1.

Thx u beautiful bigoted elitists

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wizardry 8 is considered by many to be the culmination and best of all blobbers, but it's probably best to have cut your teeth on others before getting into it. I think starting with Wiz 6 then continuing to 7/8 would be very rewarding -- especially if it's your first time.

There are plenty of other, "lighter" choices worth your time, too. Games like Lands of Lore and even something like the Ravenloft games can be great fun.

Even the Gold Box games, technically blobbers, can scratch that itch very nicely. One often overlooked one, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and its sequel Matrix Cubed are a literal blast to play.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've played Legend of Grimrock which was alright. I've played some Wiz 8 and liked it a lot but didn't continue, need to get back to it eventually. Right now I'm playing Wiz 7 and it's pretty great. What should I play next? Or what are some classics I shouldn't miss? Other than finishing Wiz 8.

I like grid based and turn-based the most, and I'd prefer to have something to look at so not like M&M 1.

For blobbers, you need to make a distinction between Wizardry-likes and Dungeon Master-likes.

Wizardry-likes: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981), Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990), Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992), Might & Magic: World of Xeen (1994), Paper Sorcerer (2013), Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)

Dungeon Master-likes: Dungeon Master (1987), Chaos Strikes Back (1989), Bloodwych (1989), Captive (1990), Eye of the Beholder (1990), The Black Crypt (1992), Hired Guns (1993), Liberation: Captive II (1994), Legend of Grimrock (2012), Legend of Grimrock II (2014)

Last edited:

Barbalos

Savant
I heard The Quest is a newer one, heard it was good. Might be worth checking out. Might and Magic is my favourite series (only played blobber series though).

Tigranes

Arcane
GRIMOIRE.

It was one of my first blobbers and that worked out just fine.

Wizardry 1 is a different beast from 7/8 and super worth it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
15668.jpg

Realms of Arkania HD

DemonKing

Arcane
Might & Magic X is great and works well on newer systems.

I also tried the original Lands of Lore on GOG recently (cost me about $1) and that was fun for an older title.

Ensi

Educated
Well, kinda wish I'd started with Wiz 6 now instead of 7. I've played a decent amount of 7 and wouldn't really want to restart (after playing 6). I guess I could just use a different party in 6 and then continue my 7 party into 8.

Thanks for the recs everybody! Should keep me busy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Any Might and magic game,except 10.
Most of the Wizardry games
Wizards & Warriors
The quest
Frayed knights
Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk

Incendax

Augur
Any Might and magic game,except 10.
Did you just recommend 9 over 10?

But yes, I agree that Might and Magic is a wonderful series for new Blobbers. You get the classic experience with MM 1-2. Some great intro Blobber games with MM 3-5. Just good solid Blobbers with MM 6-8.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

But yes, I agree that Might and Magic is a wonderful series for new Blobbers. You get the classic experience with MM 1-2. Some great intro Blobber games with MM 3-5. Just good solid Blobbers with MM 6-8.

This, finally, i can't believe it took that long for someone to mention Isles of Terra (Might & Magic III), then, years worth of gameplay awaits through the whole series.

I suggest Isles of Terra (M&M3) > Xeen (M&M4-5) > M&M6 > 7 > 10 Then you can play 8 if you still need your M&M fix. 9 only for completion purposes, if you must ...

Gregz

Arcane
If you can play Wiz 7 & Wiz 8 you clearly have good taste and can play just about anything.

If you prefer modern blobbers I would highly recommend
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition
Older classics
  • The Bard's Tale Trilogy
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
  • Dungeon Master (1987)
  • Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
  • Eye of the Beholder (1990)
Games you want to avoid
  • Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (ignore the local fanboys, play this only after you've played everything else)
  • Might & Magic X - Legacy

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you can play Wiz 7 & Wiz 8 you clearly have good taste and can play just about anything.

If you prefer modern blobbers I would highly recommend
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • The Bard's Tale Trilogy
Older classics (less modern conveniences)
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
  • Dungeon Master (1987)
  • Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
  • Eye of the Beholder (1990)
Games you want to avoid
  • Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (ignore the local fanboys, play this only after you've played everything else)
  • Might & Magic X - Legacy

:bro:

Bard's Tale trilogy <> Modern blobbers ?

As for M&M X, every Might & Magic fan should play it, not just for completion purposes, one should experience the decline to know what has been lost, besides it's alright outside of Loading times and frequences, Lloyd's Beacon nerf and town mazes.

Crime Crackers 1 & 2?

Tsss, you made me check that ... I thought it was an amazing blobber i never heard about ... :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom