Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What. Dark Souls 2 ran on a brand new engine, with brand new assets, UI and combat. It looked and felt nothing like DS1.
I was more just referring to the fact it focused entirely on improving combat and mechanics. Perhaps Ninja Gaiden Sigma to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is a better way of putting it, especially since it's Team Ninja. Hopefully they don't include the unfair bullshit like NG2 though.
Btw I'm more or less fine with this Nioh 1.5, not dissing it or anything, it just looks very weird. I don't think I've ever seen a sequel looking so much like the original game.
The game was in development Hell for a decade, they just threw some shit together at one point to get it out the door. Hopefully this is the "complete" game they wanted to make from the start.

Unfair? Lack of skill on your behalf perhaps. I hope a Shrike comes for you

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So the purple bar is used both to transform into yokai and using magic, and it recovers trough damaging enemies (sorta like DMC).
I don't know if you can transform at will into an yokai, but so far what it seems to me is that there are certain attacks that will transform the player into.

I like what I am seeing so far.
The game doesn't seem to have any radical change from Nioh, mostly just taking what was already there to the limits while adding 1 or 2 new features. But then again it didn't need any since is this still only the 2nd game of the type they've made and not 6th like with From.

What. Dark Souls 2 ran on a brand new engine, with brand new assets, UI and combat. It looked and felt nothing like DS1.
I was more just referring to the fact it focused entirely on improving combat and mechanics. Perhaps Ninja Gaiden Sigma to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is a better way of putting it, especially since it's Team Ninja. Hopefully they don't include the unfair bullshit like NG2 though.

Unfair? Lack of skill on your behalf perhaps. I hope a Shrike comes for you

NG2 is good, but the game was undeniably filled bullshit to the point of comedy.
Areas with so many enemies that the XBox 360 just couldn't handle the pressure of that's displayed on screen. A shitload of badly designed enemies, that to top it off seemed to have been drawn by a 5 year old. Boss fights with no post fight autosave. Invisible mines/traps. Enemies spawing a few feet in front of you like a damn NES game. No kind of cohesiveness to the levels, visuals, enemies and plot.
And overall alot of shit in that game seemed like the devs just threw them in because not doing so would mean sacrificing whatever ridicoulus ideas they've came up with.

That game has everything turned up far beyond eleven, which kinda makes you tired after playing just one level because of the intensity of both the gameplay and visuals. For that and many other reasons Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma is still the best in the series.

Hyperion

Arcane
I don't know if you can transform at will into an yokai, but so far what it seems to me is that there are certain attacks that will transform the player into.
Yokai shift has replaced Living Weapon. There are also 3 types, Brute / Feral / I forget the 3rd name. It's built up just like in Nioh 1, through the absorption of Amrita.

Brute is just what it sounds like, with a focus on heavy hits. Feral gives you insane attack, move, and dodge speed. Unfortunately I forgot the 3rd, but it's sort of a caster. It has ranged attacks, and lets you teleport to where you weapon hit to fly around the battlefield.

You also get to set 2 Yokai Soul Cores to a Guardian Spirit. The Soul Core allows you to use the corresponding Yokai's special ability at the cost of a portion of that Purple Bar, a separate resource from Yokai Shift (nu-Living Weapon). Every Yokai in the game seems to have one, including bosses. From regular Yokai they are NOT 100% drop rate, and they stay with your Guardian Spirit on death. I think they are gone forever, and you need to farm them again if you die on the way back to your Spirit, along with your Amrita, so make use of those Summoner's Candles I guess.

Guardian Spirit bonuses have been toned down quite a bit, and instead require a combination of 2+ stats like Strength + Stamina to unlock additional bonuses such as Yokai Skill Life Drain, Ki damage etc etc. I've only seen bonuses of 3 spirits so who knows what the full list will be. The idea is that every GS will affect your build differently. This also hopefully means it's no longer Kato, Kara-Jishi or bust for most builds.

Guardian Spirits also no longer grant flat 10% damage reduction up to 23% as you level them, but instead have a unique innate multiplier to attack and defense. The Fire Spirit at the beginning, for example, gives (if memory serves)1.2x attack, but 0.8x defense. This multiplier affects the Attack, and Damage bonuses present on every Yokai Soul Core, which increases as the SC gains levels. I'm not 100% sure of how they level, but they seem to gain some sort of passive XP while equipped to your character.

...I hate to give him clicks, publicity, or even a mention, but FightinCowboy has pretty much everything on YT on his Alpha playthrough. He goes through the tutorial for each GS type, explains what I did, etc. He's just such a smug, white trash cocksucker who isn't even that good and I'd rather not link his vids.

Bonus: There are creatures called Yokai Cats scattered throughout levels that are roly poly kittens. If you pet them they temporarily follow you around and will periodically restore that Purple Bar so you can cast Yokai spells more frequently.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
auW1XUzWNnMYHSdaih195YVUg34h7zfRY6UJVfLWjcY.jpg

New Weapon Type: Switchglaive [Has three transformations: Glaive, Scythe, and Saw]

Skill that summons a Kodama that throws an item at your enemy that you can then pick up

Beta will feature the summonable ally mounds and 3-person co-op

Owners of the original Nioh will be able to fight William in a special mission and get his character skin

Sentinel

Arcane
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...s-revealed-new-open-beta-goes-live-this-week/
Hello everyone I’m Fumihiko Yasuda, the producer for Nioh 2. I’d like to share some incredibly exciting news with you all!

Nioh 2’s release date

First and foremost, I’m happy to finally announce our launch date of 13th March, 2020.

I know many of you have been waiting and we thank you for your patience while we worked to set an official date. One of the primary reasons for not rushing to set a launch date was to ensure that we can achieve a “genuine evolution” from Nioh, which to us meant that we needed to bring in fresh new elements while retaining the things that we felt was right from the first game. Although there weren’t enough significant changes in the Alpha, we now feel that we have come much closer to reaching our goals.

Details on the open beta trial
With that being said, we would also like to give you guys a sneak peek at the game by releasing an open beta demo for you to try out. This open beta trial will be available from 1st – 10th November and is downloadable from PlayStation Store.

All players will be able to experience new elements such as our extensive character customisation feature, our newest weapon- the Switchglaive, and so much more.

As you begin the beta, you will enter into a place called the Interim. Unlike the dojo tutorial from the previous game, the Interim is a safe zone where you will be able to choose your weapons, test out the basic moves and transition to a real stage when you are ready.

This place was designed and based on the Tibetan Buddhist concept of intermediate, transitional state between life and death. I’m actually very fond of the environment we created which is modeled after the Sanzu river surrounded in tranquility (similar to the river Styx from Greek mythology).

As you move on from the Interim, you will start your journey in a stage called Sunomata. This stage is based on the Sunomata castle which by some accounts was constructed in just one night by Hideyoshi. The experience will be an interpretation of historical actualities combined with a healthy injection of Yokai adventure!

In addition, this new stage will treat you to an impressive environment covered in autumn maple leaves. In a similar fashion to the cherry blossoms stage (The Village of Cursed Blossoms), we had the great fortune of highlighting another stunning time of year within Japan’s four distinct seasons.

I hope that you will enjoy this stage and the open beta in November. If you are skilled and fortunate enough to conquer the beta, you will earn The Mark of the Demon Slayer – a reward entitling you to unlock the Kamaitachi Helmet from the in-game Shrine to use in the full game when it arrives next year.

Although the trial time is limited, we sincerely hope that you can play the beta and provide your invaluable feedback to us by responding to the survey*.

Special, Digital Deluxe and standard editions
Also from today you will be able to pre-order Nioh 2 from PlayStation Store, which is available as both as standard and Digital Deluxe editions. At retail, you’ll also be able to pre-order the Special Edition.

Regardless of what version you pre-order, you’ll be awarded valuable bonus items to use in the final game as well as an Avatar set and exclusive PS4 Theme. In the digital versions, you’ll receive these as separate download items when the game launches. A download voucher will be included in the Special Edition.

• Demon Horde armour set
  • Sudama Netsuke charm
  • PS4 Theme.
  • PSN avatar set for PS4

If you pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition, you’ll also receive:

• Season Pass (redeemable on PlayStation Store with enclosed voucher code)
  • Demon Horde weapons
  • Kodama Netsuke charm

While the physical Special Edition will include:

• SteelBook case
  • Art book.
  • Season Pass (redeemable on PlayStation Store with enclosed voucher code)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't Elden Ring coming out on that exact same date? And 2077 soon after.
To answer myself:
- Final Fantasy VII, March 3rd
- Nioh 2, March 13th
- Cyberpunk 2077, April 16th
- Elden Ring, April

Fuck me lol. There are four games coming next year that cause me maximum hype. And all four are releasing WITHIN A SPAN OF TWO FUCKING MONTHS.

I guess imma not see much sunlight come next spring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom