Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
I remember hearing that they signed a contract with someone around Christmas. Though I think that turned out to be the MMO thing.

No, that was the next-gen title. AFAIK, we heard about the MMO pretty soon after they signed the deal.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There's the Russian MMO they're helping with (for what ever reason -- money) and an unannounced project.

Among other things

I'm still convinced that it's similiar to the South Park situation. As in they were contacted by Mail.ru. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise.

like (not spending much effort here)

Feargus: Feargus
Grigori (or whoever): Hey, I'm Grigori from Russia. We want some western help with our MMO and you are probably the only private western dev suited.
Feargus: Ok, sounds good.

I mean

- Money
- New employees they can use after the contract ends
- International relationships
- Experience in both MMO's and F2P
- other things I'm forgetting

Not to mention that they probably get some sort of compensation for the whole thing as well (since they really don't seem the party who went seeking a contract). It's not impossible that they may even get a share of the profits.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
This topic looks like a good example of a battered wife syndrome. No matter how much evidence accumulates for Obsidian being a popamole focused developer with 0-1 CRPG projects on the side (right now it's PE in the forest of moles protruding from their holes), many still consider them an agent of possible incline.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Making PE alone makes them an agent of incline dumbass. Who cares if they make popamole games, if they have their PE and Mask of the Betrayer kind of games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This topic looks like a good example of a battered wife syndrome. No matter how much evidence accumulates for Obsidian being a popamole focused developer with 0-1 CRPG projects on the side (right now it's PE in the forest of moles protruding from their holes), many still consider them an agent of possible incline.

That is one more CRPG project than Bioware, Bethesda or any other large developer in the world except for Larian.

Perhaps your standards are unrealistic?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

That is one more CRPG project than Bioware, Bethesda or any other large developer in the world except for Larian.

Are you guys sure it's Obsidian that's the battered wife and not us towards Obsidian?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Are you guys sure it's Obsidian that's the battered wife and not us towards Obsidian?
I'm sure he was talking about us as a battered wife.

Athelas

Arcane
Obsidian is like a single mother who has to frequently whore herself out in order to provide for her starving children. As long as said mother doesn't contract an STD, we're good.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Obsidian is like a single mother who has to frequently whore herself out in order to provide for her starving children. As long as said mother doesn't contract an STD, we're good.

Would totally brofist if I could.

:brodex:

Rake

Arcane
No matter how much evidence accumulates for Obsidian being a popamole focused developer

But even when they do popamole, they do it better than anyone else.
That. At least their games are worth a playthrough, even with the terrible gameplay. How many other RPG companies can say the same?
Beth? NO
Bio? Not any more
CDP? Their gameplay is just as bad as Obsidian's

drae

Augur
But even when they do popamole, they do it better than anyone else.

Their last game, Dungeon Siege, was a POS with no redeeming features. Their next game is South Park, which looks complete shithouse.

So no, the don't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Their last game, Dungeon Siege, was a POS with no redeeming features. Their next game is South Park, which looks complete shithouse.

So no, the don't.
It had fun combat and a good antagonist. :cool:

Rake

Arcane

So no, the don't.
It had fun combat and a good antagonist. :cool:
Only you liked DS3 Roguey.
It was the shitiest game Obsidian ever made

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom