Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian teasing game reveal at The Game Awards

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What the fuck happened with paul kirsh his work on tyranny was rock solid but his work on deadfire was ushering in faggotry and cringe...
With Tyranny he was under the direction of Matt McLean who was under the direction of Brian Heins and inheriting a few character concepts from Chris Avellone. With Deadfire, he was under the direction of Carrie Patel and Josh Sawyer and free to create his own character concepts.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Kirch is responsible for all the best quests and characters in Deadfire, as well as most of the Huana lore.

xYkxzHT.jpg

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
The love for Obsidian around Codex is laughably lacking and for good reasons.
You're one dense fuck, Black. Look at the salivating tards in this and the other Outer Worlds thread - they're practically drooling at the thought of a new Obsidian game.

"Oooohhhh, Tim and Len are working on it, it's gotta be good this time!"

As if the two of them don't share the same company culture and value set as the rest of Obsidian.

Watch Cain's newest presentations - he practically gets hard gloating how many females and coloreds they've hired. Like any of that matters; like the only metrics of a developer shouldn't be their skill and focus.

Two has-beens can't save an entire company. Outer Worlds will be shit, because the people who didn't make shit are no longer working at the company.

But to add to your comment: people say they hate Obsidian, and yet they still go and buy their games. Words are meaningless, you'll all eat shit and like it.

:deadhorse:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everything from Chinatown and afterwards was way worse gameplay-wise than anything in Alpha Protocol.
I tried playing Alpha Protocol and was surprised how far I've managed to get despite my loathing for gameplay increasing at progressive scale. Retarded combat, poorly done stealth, annoying minigames - this is what playing AP was like. Dialogues were fun though. Chinatown is miles ahead of AP in terms of gameplay alone.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
He should absolutely be proud. Many of the quests he wrote and helped design, such as Fort Deadlight, Arkemyrs Manor, A Bridge Ablaze, and Shadow under Neketaka are on par with New Vegas.

He also designed the slum district of Neketaka, which was praised in the original thread for its excellent atmosphere and worldbuilding.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
A new Tim Cain game, we hope.
Shit-flinging aside, you do realize that Cain is just one guy, right? The company has, what, 100 people working on this project? How much oversight do you think Tim and Leonard have, now that production has scaled up?

So even if Cain was infallible (he's not), and he thought that CRPGs from the 2000s were perfect (he doesn't), he'd still have to go through at least 5 people above his pay grade to make a point. Now try doing that for every system and design decision on what's looking to be an AA+ project. Do you have any clue how exhausting that is? I've done it (but not in game dev). After a while, you just give up and let the retards have their way (especially since the dumber people are, the more creative input they request).

Jules Verne in space with Bloodlines' dialogue system sounds amazing, but I'm afraid we're all gonna get shat on. Yet again.

I just don't have any faith left in them. At least until they do something to deserve it.

You have some unrealistic expectations about the game. Imho today is several times harder to create the equivalent of what Fallout was in 1997 ... not to mention that nobody can say what such an equivalent would be.

Harder in what sense? Due to more expensive graphics/physics/etc? I don't think that people who like Cain/Boyarski type games will care too much if the game is not cutting edge graphically. If they make something with Unity, but with good gameplay mechanics, I don't think people will mind.

That's why I would settle for something on par or even slightly lower than Fallout: a new world to explore, branching narrative with choices-and-consequences, fully usable skills and perks system, decent combat, ending slides and gore animations.

Not me. I mean I get where you are coming from, you just want some new games to play. But, as for me, I just see gaming in such an early and primitive state, that having the same kind of game 20 years later, even if it's pretty good, that's just very underwhelming.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Underrail is from a Euro dev, you worthless parasite.
Are you daft? Stupid? Lack reading comprehension?

Styg's from Serbia - a balkan shithole not far from where I live. Hence my comment: fuck the american game industry.

I bought Underrail, just like I bought Serpent and Starsector and Kingmaker and Thronebreaker and a dozen other titles.

You go ahead and keep giving money to Failsidian, so they can hire more neon-haired commissars.

Dumbfuck.

Whats the name of your shithole?

Molina

Savant
-You're shit.
-No. You're a shit.
-Not me, you are !
-Mirror. And you're mom is a dog.

Debate in the prestigious forum RPG Codex.

Bohr

Arcane
Ah, so this is all part of a guerilla marketing campaign for No Disco With Elysium :cool:

Makes sense now, and surprisingly effective I have to admit.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ah, so this is all part of a guerilla marketing campaign for No Disco With Elysium :cool:

Makes sense now, and surprisingly effective I have to admit.
Love their fixation with Obsidian/BlackIsle. Like they have somehow cheated themselves into their reputation, especially here, one that is probably put under more scrutiny here than anywhere else. And yet simultaneously the Codex is in on it too, by merely giving equal coverage :lol:

They haven't worked for it or anything.

Nah. Lol.

Last edited:
Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Doubt he’s affiliated with them
You overestimate the Codex's importance. No one cares about this place, outside of niche grognard interests. I lurk for my own entertainment because this place is one of a handful on the net where one can find quality discussion void of usual SJW nonsense.

As far as Disco is concerned, it's a steaming pile of shit on par with what Obsidian games would look like if they were a 15-man studio. Come to think of it, Disco's the kind of game you tards would play if Tim rubbed his sweaty ballsack over it and said he'd made it.

More than 2hrs a day of Tim Cain's genius would implode the industry.
Get back to me when he makes a game that doesn't require 292304 patches to function properly. Black Isle was good because the talent comprising it was good - whatever brilliance Tim may or may not have within him won't be allowed to shine at Obsidian.

Also, Troika deserved to fold. No company can survive that kind of mismanagement (one could argue Obsidian is even worse, but they had the stars align for them when Microsoft decided to come knocking).

But do keep purchasing flawed products like the slobbering dumbfucks you are - I'm sure they'll name an NPC after you or something. :lol:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
You overestimate the Codex's importance. No one cares about this place, outside of niche grognard interests.
Can pay to have your game appear at mainstream conventions, magazine publications - all with positive feedback as per arrangement, they'll all say what you want them to say.

Yet this one site, the one "no one cares about", is the one you can't get away from eh :lol:

Lol.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Yet this one site, the one "no one cares about", is the one you can't get away from eh
You're myopic beyond reason. This entire site is incapable of generating sales, and no, the few thousand (if even that) copies that members can purchase for themselves doesn't mean jack shit for any company above the tiniest of indies.

Getting sucked off by the Dex is more an ego thing for devs; why do you think MCA posts here? This site is the last holdout of the gaming internet. The Codex is like that butter-faced girl with a hot body that everyone wants to fuck but can't since she never puts out.

We're relevant only among ourselves, and to ourselves. Look how many people were puffing wind into Age of Decadence, yet it's taken it, what, 4 years to reach 50k units in sales? Hardly impressive (not shitting on VD or his game, but facts are facts).

My point being that games sell despite their fame (or infamy) on the Dex, not because of it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You overestimate the Codex's importance. No one cares about this place, outside of niche grognard interests.
FWIW, Darth Roxor's review of POE2 was required reading for Torment leads and the entire writing team. (Insert jokes about the consequences that had.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom