Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Codex Year of the Donut
So what's the optimal way to upgrade gear? Craft VR MK II and try to get it to epic, restart if it fails?

Norfleet

Bonus to crits AND intrinsically higher rewards just for being there. This combination of effects means that using inferior doffs works out to a -90% yield rate at that makes it entirely pointless to even bother, except for those one-shot X/N chains where only progression matters.

Codex Year of the Donut
Bonus to crits AND intrinsically higher rewards just for being there. This combination of effects means that using inferior doffs works out to a -90% yield rate at that makes it entirely pointless to even bother, except for those one-shot X/N chains where only progression matters.
Huh?
Does the rewards screen not reflect this until the assignment is done? I don't see it change when switching between them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Huh?
Does the rewards screen not reflect this until the assignment is done? I don't see it change when switching between them.
Yeah I can't find anything regarding quality affecting your rewards(beyond crits).
All of the CXP/dil/etc I've gotten from assignments — according to my log — is identical to what the wiki says.

Codex Year of the Donut
got yelled at for using a weapon that the borg adapted to in a TFO
I was using the shotgun the entire time
image.png

Norfleet

Yes, it only shows up in the final reward. You see those modifiers like the purple +20%? That's the the doff modifier. When you have multiple doffs that are all +20% on it, AND they have a chance to crit for massively more than list value, the resulting payout is often more than 10x what is listed as the payout on the info screen...and you don't get any of that using shit doffs.

And did you figure out how to hear anyone on the channel yet? I see you there. You don't appear responsive, though. Don't forget to attach the channel to a tab and give it a color so you can see it.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think it might be broken or else I simply don't understand what the % next to a doff is supposed to mean.
Trying it out with the assignment "EVA Suit Training", using an orange+purple doff. The reward screen shows rewards identical to the wiki entry, changing doffs does not change that amount(nor on the 'hover' rewards either).

If it's just a visual bug(that is, the rewards will actually be influenced by the doff rarity) and If the % next to them is meant to be an increase in rewards,
If the % is additive: 682 CXP normal, 1762 crit
if the % is multiplicative: 716 CXP normal, 1850 crit

I'll report back when it's done in a couple hours with what I actually get.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think it might be broken or else I simply don't understand what the % next to a doff is supposed to mean.
Trying it out with the assignment "EVA Suit Training", using an orange+purple doff. The reward screen shows rewards identical to the wiki entry, changing doffs does not change that amount(nor on the 'hover' rewards either).

If it's just a visual bug(that is, the rewards will actually be influenced by the doff rarity) and If the % next to them is meant to be an increase in rewards,
If the % is additive: 682 CXP normal, 1762 crit
if the % is multiplicative: 716 CXP normal, 1850 crit

I'll report back when it's done in a couple hours with what I actually get.
I got 503, no crit.
That's sort of close to 20% which would be a single purple doff. There might be a small modifier somewhere I overlooked to explain the small discrepancy. The orange(EMH) doff may be bugged, I'll do another test using only purple doffs.

Drakron

Arcane
Well on another news, the Legendary Sovy looks ... interesting.

Full MW ship but instead of being just a MW dual seat its actually a MW/Pilot dual spec, of course its not the Juggy but then again that ship was made for the meta. Another thing is the NX that also gives the console and trait of the Lobi version that is a rather good deal considering the Lobi NX trait is rather potent and the console is also pretty good.
Following this trend and knowing the T6 Connie is coming, this means having access to the Connie trait and console that are very good ... I am not saying dump $200 on this but they are going all out more or less on this.

Norfleet

i have like 400 purple doffs and not a single reward has ever been this 10x you're talking about.
Yes, well, shows what you know about doffing. YOU aren't the one who built two starbases on this.

I am not saying dump $200 on this but they are going all out more or less on this.
Only a complete fool would be dumping $200 on this. YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!

Codex Year of the Donut
There seems to be some impact, but it's definitely not as clear as simply increasing rewards by their %. I think you might get the full % only on crits, I'll need to do more testing.

Codex Year of the Donut
OK, so here's an interesting data point:
Extract Draconis System Minerals(tier 3), wiki page: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Extract_Draconis_System_Minerals_(Tier_3) I double checked with an alt, and the data on the page is correct.
I did it with 5 purples, success(non-crit) outcome.
733 development XP(~57.2% increase,) 533 exploration XP(~100% increase), 200 science XP(0% increase.) The total CXP increase was — again — 57.2%(1466 vs 932.) To be more specific, the exact same percentage for both that and the development — not just a similar percentage.

Strange, I really have no idea what's going on. I'll need more data.

Codex Year of the Donut
Similar thing with 'Emergency supplies…'
86 colonial/61 trade on normal, 302 colonial/252 trade on crit
vs
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment:_Emergency_Supplies_to_Colonies
69 colonial/44 trade on normal, 207 colonial/132 trade on crit
I have no idea why one commendation(trade) is receiving a bigger boost than the other, same as my post above.

the amount I got on a crit was repeatable
DBsR43q.png

None of this adds up to what you'd expect with two purple doffs.
Neither do the previous assignments.

So far, all I can tell is;
Yes, purple doffs increase your reward by some amount.
Yes, the increase goes up on a critical relative to a non-critical, while also increasing your chance to critical.

Norfleet

733 development XP(~57.2% increase,) 533 exploration XP(~100% increase), 200 science XP(0% increase.) The total CXP increase was — again — 57.2%(1466 vs 932.) To be more specific, the exact same percentage for both that and the development — not just a similar percentage.
It's Crypticmath. You get used to weirdness like this. Factor in the massively increased crit rate and the fact that truly awful doffs simply FAIL the missions and give you NOTHING and you'll see why using non-purples is a total waste of time: It takes the same amount of time to click through the mission, but you get far less.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Nobody at Cryptic really understands the game or even bothers to. It just works (tm).
Took them years to bother combing through Doffing and realize "Huh, maybe putting down unruly Gorn shouldn't give that much xp?". AFAIK the system was done by a dev on his own private time, so lots of typos and idea changes are to be expected. Doffing was already dead at that point, so whatevs.
Or when they changed the proc chance on weapons after yeeeeeeeears from "per shot" to "per cycle", because they didn't want to admit their severs could not handle that many checks anymore with all the extra lockbox crap they squeezed in.

Yeah, that's Cryptic. But the game is free, so we take it.

That said, after reading the legendary ships stats and their traits... just when you thought overpowered lockbox items can't be beaten, they up the ante to get people to shell out even more benjamins. :hahano:

Norfleet

Actually, unruly Gorn were always supposed to give that many. The "12 hour" class of doff mission was formerly explicitly confined to KDF and thus given a boosted reward as a bone thrown to KDF. This was broken when the guy who made doffing got sacked and his replacements didn't understand this, so handed out 12 hour timeslot missions that were Fed accessible.

And, of course, once you give a thing to Fed, it gets nerfed.

Norfleet

Is there a faster non-admiralty way to farm dilithium ore than the voth ground battlezone?
Maybe catfood? Catfood can maybe get to 100 DPS. But compared to ASSjobs at 400-1000 DPS, basically every other source of minerals in the game is comically irrelevant. Any "gameplay" based methods cap out at around maybe 5-10 DPS, which basically is indistinguishable from noise.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is there a faster non-admiralty way to farm dilithium ore than the voth ground battlezone?
Maybe catfood? Catfood can maybe get to 100 DPS. But compared to ASSjobs at 400-1000 DPS, basically every other source of minerals in the game is comically irrelevant. Any "gameplay" based methods cap out at around maybe 5-10 DPS, which basically is indistinguishable from noise.
Just looking for an easy way to cap my dilithium slaves before they finish their first campaigns

Norfleet

Well, feeding the cat can help put you towards cap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom