Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
What a little bitch.

Anyone know big an impact it will have on xpiratez and the XCOM files?

lightbane

Arcane
Tech-Comm mod will have some assets removed.

*Headdesk* Here we go... Now what? Will the modder have to redraw a T-800 sprite because Dioxine joined the madness too? The most basic enemy unit of the game, now unusable due modder dramma.

Anyone know big an impact it will have on xpiratez and the XCOM files?

Well, this Hobbes asshole warned that stuff like that would follow shortly, and it has begun with the Terminator mod, as seen above. I don't know how it will end, but it won't be pretty.
Thankfully, I have a copy of X-Files' current version, although it has some changes I made because I've been playing this game many times and I was bored. If you don't like these changes (soldiers have MGS-style names and some facilities are more useful than usual), you can wait for the next version and then rewrite the "Soldiers" and "Ruleset" folders.

I'll upload it later.

lightbane

Arcane
Hobbes is main author of Tech-Comm.
Modders gonna drama.

Oh right, I get it now. Understandable, if petty. Things will get worse if this shitstorm escalates, and as usual the main victims will be us, the players.

Anyway, here's the X-Files with no faggotry edits to remove stuff. I already warned you that it has some minor modifications. Most of the soldiers' names are cheesy, and the training/capture facilities can hold up to 20 units instead of 10. If you don't like these changes, you can edit them yourself, or wait for the next version of XCF.

You'll need the essential stuff provided by the Piratez link above, as I'm only including the mod and little else. It was also a bitch to upload for some reason despite the small size.

https://megaup.net/3viaB/XComFiles.7z

Azdul

Magister
This did remind me I've been meaning to drop a donation to Dioxine. The dude fucking earned it.
Hobbes do not agree with other people using his work for commercial purposes, and Dioxine declined to remove his PayPal link, and stroke back by demanding to remove one of the maps from Terrain Pack and Area 51 for which he only contributed a few sprites.

Cases like OpenMW Overhaul Project, or Skyrim Together, or stolen mods on Valve Workshop caused many mod authors to be strictly against any form of commercialization.
Paypal link with perks for donators seems like a small thing, but it is enough for some people to get pissed.

This did remind me I've been meaning to drop a donation to Dioxine. The dude fucking earned it.
Hobbes do not agree with other people using his work for commercial purposes, and Dioxine declined to remove his PayPal link, and stroke back by demanding to remove one of the maps from Terrain Pack and Area 51 for which he only contributed a few sprites.

Cases like OpenMW Overhaul Project, or Skyrim Together, or stolen mods on Valve Workshop caused many mod authors to be strictly against any form of commercialization.
Paypal link with perks for donators seems like a small thing, but it is enough for some people to get pissed.
I've been paying attention to Open MW, and other than a standard optional donation link I don't see any monetisation. Or even a patreon.

Azdul

Magister
I've been paying attention to Open MW, and other than a standard optional donation link I don't see any monetisation. Or even a patreon.
OpenMW Overhaul Project was a kickstarter for OpenMW mod pack. Of course OpenMW name was used without permission, and some mods were redistributed without mods authors' permission. In went down in flames when OpenMW contributors and "butthurt" mod authors found out about it.

There is nothing inherently wrong or unethical about making money from creating mod pack, but Ultimate Skyrim no longer has "Requiem" in its name, because Requiem authors do not want people to think that they're taking money for Requiem development, and don't want "Requiem" name to be associated with any commercial project.

OpenMW Overhaul Project was a kickstarter for OpenMW mod pack. Of course OpenMW name was used without permission, and some mods were redistributed without mods authors' permission. In went down in flames when OpenMW contributors and "butthurt" mod authors found out about it.

There is nothing inherently wrong or unethical about making money from creating mod pack, but Ultimate Skyrim no longer has "Requiem" in its name, because Requiem authors do not want people to think that they're taking money for Requiem development, and don't want "Requiem" name to be associated with any commercial project.
Okay fair enough, I just used Wabbajack if I want to install a whole modpack. It's free and just downloads and installs everything for you as opposed to bundling all the mods together. I use it for Ultimate Skyrim and other overhaul lists.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC someone mentioned some help for X-Files. Well then, it's here:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6521.msg101880.html#msg101880

Use this mod to have something to sell in the early game, it makes perfect sense in-game that someone from your staff comes up with this idea. Then, once you start getting guns, avoid Soviet stuff. Most of their guns are crap, with a few exceptions such as the meme sniper rifle. SMGs are shit, except for the Mac10 and the Black Ops one with their hilariously high rate of fire.

Finally, this will help anyone, in case you didn't know about these hotkeys: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6424.0.html

He took his time to notice Dioxine had a paypal link for ages, curiously enough...

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone have Final Mod Pack 2.4 saved? Think that is the latest one before this mess.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm not really into mods, I can't be arsed with all the faff for usually little return, but I gave some of the OpenXcom ones a go a few months back.

What a complete waste of time. All they did were distract me from playing the already near-perfect original. Like George Lucas going back and adding CGI to the OT

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't one of the perks of OpenXcom higher resolution settings? The original is pretty cramped and I'd install it just to get a bit bigger view window.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Says 2.2b :/

According to the OpenXcom forum 2.4 was the latest. At least what I get from a post he made.

Endemic

Arcane
I'm not really into mods, I can't be arsed with all the faff for usually little return, but I gave some of the OpenXcom ones a go a few months back.

What a complete waste of time. All they did were distract me from playing the already near-perfect original. Like George Lucas going back and adding CGI to the OT

Openxcom has a lot of QoL features, and you can toggle smaller stuff like the arbitrary 80-item limit (I guess it was a memory limitation back then) and Psi being hilariously unbalanced in vanilla. I play with a configuration fairly close to the original gameplay-wise.

Mustawd

Anyone have Final Mod Pack 2.4 saved? Think that is the latest one before this mess.

Mess? Did something happen?

EDIT: Never mind. Read back a page ITT. How stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly don't care that much about removing some terrain packs. A LOT of the new terrains are simply overcomplicated bullshit for the sake of overcomplicated bullshit. e.g. I hope the fucking Mayan Temple terrain is gone, with the map being impossible to navigate due to debris, not a single flat tile, and LOS basically impossible to determine except through trial and error. Same goes for urban maps with a building every 5 feet that abuses all 10 vertical levels of space in Openxcom with extremely annoying and long to explore internal architecture for shit to hide in and excessively strong damage resistance to explosives because someone decided to the age-old method of just blowing shit up was too easy for their new maps.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
giphy.gif

Great find!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Is there a way to put out fires that has engulfed soldiers? In Final Mod Pack the fire seems to linger a long time, lost a couple of guys to fire now.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Dunno about FMP but in Piratez you have a fire extinguisher you can buy from one of the merchants. Try checking the shop.
That said in Piratez it's really slow and awkward to use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom