Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

"game will become slightly harder" gets 8 soldiers dropped into a map with no cover and single-shot harpoon guns that take half a turn to reload.

Good mod though.

"game will become slightly harder" gets 8 soldiers dropped into a map with no cover and single-shot harpoon guns that take half a turn to reload.

Good mod though.

Not like the harpoon is good in the stock game either. :P

At least they can shoot like 9 shots a turn rather than 1 shot every other turn. And you start with 12 of them in cover with a door rather than completely out in the open.

Last edited:
More importantly, the 1.2 version of XCF is out! There's lot of new stuff such as the start of a new arc and even a new ship, but now the mod is considered a Master mod. This means that like Piratez, it's considered its own thing and many mods for vanilla Xcom1 won't work anymore. You can remedy this by editing the metadata file of XCF and set the "Mastermod" variable to "false".

Awesome! I gotta congratulate Solarius Scorch myself.

I really need to re-start the Codex LP of XCF. I keep getting derailed and lacking time. But I do have an idea...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally finished a game of X-com (Final mod pack). Only took a year or something like that of sporadic playing.

Final screen:
27F8110C9D6F6ED82552CF29965E45FEAB1C61D3

Those casualties. But over 1000 aliens blasted.

646F8D967C42FFF685D0D63FC349F021382A7532

283 researched project completed and there still were more stuff to research. The aliens at the end on Cydonia even dropped some weird artifacts. Makes me wonder how much I missed and never used in my campaign.

Time for Terror from the Deep!

Edit:

The only thing I didn't enjoy that much with Final Mod Pack was the human/hybrid alien faction. Felt mostly like a waste of time. In the beginning it was kinda fun, but later on those guys became a push-over.

lightbane

Arcane
I really need to re-start the Codex LP of XCF. I keep getting derailed and lacking time. But I do have an idea...

You keep saying that and I dunno if you'll really provide by now. However, if you do, I would recommend that you wait for next release. It has an incoming change that, while small, it is literally game-changing and will make things way less painful for the early game...

Rubber bullets, at fucking last! Only for shotguns, but it is better than relying on tasers and such until you unlock proper "stun guns".

Last edited:

You keep saying that and I dunno if you'll really provide by now. However, if you do, I would recommend that you wait for next release. It has an incoming change that, while small, it is literally game-changing and will make things way less painful for the early game...

Rubber bullets, at fucking last! Only for shotguns, but it is better than relying on tasers and such until you unlock proper "stun guns".

Yay!

How are they going to balance them, tho? Seems like something that would make things too easy.

lightbane

Arcane
How are they going to balance them, tho? Seems like something that would make things too easy.
I suppose the same way Piratez does: Non-lethal ammo can still kill, to represent the chance of hitting some vital organ ("ouch, my eyes!"), and it is not too useful against armored targets. Since they're fired from a shotgun, range is limited, but this also makes shotguns even better at training rookies. Once you get dart pistols though, they become the default weapon for capturing until you can unlock the alien weapons.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
And it takes several rubber slugs to down even a civilian. It's mainly useful for training newbies at night, though you still need to be careful since they really have no stopping power (whereas normal shotgun shells are godlike agains unarmored targets).

Really the main capture tool in Piratez is a punch in the face. Dart pistols have bad range and accuracy, might as well run over. Usually by midgame the gals are all running around in an armor with a gauntlet which does quick work of most things with the gals high strength, and I keep a couple of electric lassos in backpacks for stubborn targets. And some stasis grenades once I can get them.

lightbane

Arcane
I doubt the same rules apply for XCF. Your agents are weaker overall, and I recall the Dart pistol being quite effective IIRC. Plus it can unlock stronger ammo.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Check previous pages of this thread to know more about Piratez. It's a completely different game compared to X-Com, new one or not. However, currently it's impossible to download normally due modder drama... EXCEPT, where there is the net, there is a way!
https://yadi.sk/d/1MjO26sXM7UHjA

One more thing:

Spoilers for XCF below.

The incoming 1.3 update of Xcom Files will also have Enforcers, aka humanoid chassis for AI Units, at long last!

lightbane

Arcane
Warning for those allergic to anime: XPirates is a weaboo xcom addicts dream. You have been warned.

Indeed. Lots of mainstream, peasant anime such as PMMM, but also highly cultured, high-brow ones as well. There are references pretty much fucking everywhere.
Speaking of: Dioxine is finally back to the forums! And the first thing he does is berate a player for being either a troll or a bit slow (unsure which one). :lol:
Therefore, expect more updates for Piratez soon.

eXalted

Arcane
Just discovered the magical land of X-Com mods. Playing X-Com Files right now. Feels so damn fresh. Decided to play that a little before dabbing into XPiratez.

Also learned that F5 and F9 saves and loads multiple inventory templates for your soldiers.

With these two things, my life is now changed forever.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You can also save craft inventories and filter a lot of stuff with Q, even the stuff on the floor in the soldier inveotyr screen.

Endemic

Arcane
I've seen that stuff in OXCE as well. Not sure who came up with it first, but it's pretty handy.

baturinsky

Arcane
If you want to play XPiratez, I recommend to learn interface QOL changes in OXCE over vanilla because it's nearly impossible to keep up with a ton of content that mod has.
Also https://xpedia.netlify.com can be a better option for online XPiratez wiki now, because is has much more modern engine, though looks a bit worse than xpiratez.wtf version in places.

eXalted

Arcane
How much has OpenXcom changed with this Extended version, I love that. Haven't played since the 1.0 version of the original OpenXcom years ago. I'm amazed.

To be honest I could play but I was defeated by my naming convention.
If you are talking about stat strings in the soldier names, there are mods for that. Just today I customized a ruleset exactly for X-Com Files.

A question - was there a Wait button in the past when a craft is over a landed UFO (or anything else actually) because I'm not seeing one now? That button made waiting for daylight a lot easier.

Edit: I am amazed - https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7165.msg113932.html#msg113932

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Terminator: Tech-Comm
PROJECT TERMINATED
This project has been discontinued because of copyright issues related to the unauthorized use of third party images.

Since it would require a ton of artwork, I decided to end this project because of the permissions it would require and I do not want to be blatantly stealing from other authors/games/etc. without their permission, under the risk of receiving a 'cease and desist' notice that could compromise all the work done on this mod, specially from sources that are commercially sold.

If you have downloaded this mod, you're warned that the artwork for the weapons contained on it was originally done by Christopher Shields for his amazing Terminator: 2029 site and that it is not free to use - he kindly gave me permission to use them only for this mod after I personally contacted him.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6018.msg124235.html#msg124235

Apparently, Hobbes took a hit too.

:negative:

lightbane

Arcane
The hypocrite blaming others of stealing his work, turned out to have stolen from others without permission? How surprising (not).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom