Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Stone Dog

Novice
Haven't played much but those hills with the little caves beneath them are no more.
Thank fuck for small mercies, but the real crimes were the jungle and city maps.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Besides XComfiles and Xpiratez is there any good mod for the base game? Either original XCOM or TotD

Au Ellai

Educated
those hills with the little caves beneath them are no more.

As annoyed as I've been with Hobbes for packing up his toys and going home, kicking down everything else in the playroom on the way out like a spoiled little brat, this outcome alone might have made his outburst worthy of forgiveness. There were never enemies in those caves anyways until the one mission you decide not to send a gal in, then you get shot in the back from some mook hiding out in there.

eXalted

Arcane
New XPiratez version.

v.L1A1 9-Apr-2020 Aurora Nights 2
- OXCE upgrade to 6.4.2.1
- Fixed bank robbery mission
- Fixed Blue Turret crash
- Fixed some map crashes
- New Vessel Component: STC Zortrium Plating
- New Armor: Plate Mail (Lokk'Naar)
- New Weapons: Fish Grenade (Deep Ones), Huge Bone
- New Ammo: Longbow Tarnian Arrows
- New Item: Golden Mask
- New smashing spriteworks by Bloax!
- New Academy and Brothel buildings by Wolverin
- Starting Hideout changes: added Land Deed and extra Security Corridor
- Rebalanced White Worm and Shadowbat stats
- Glitter armor rechristened to Sear, shield changed to Red
- Most Electric Stun Weapons do some HP dmg now.
- Un-Surrealistiked damage formulas on Stone Hatchet and Bone Club.
- Buffs to some sniper weapons
- Buffs to Staff of Explosion and Phantom Whip
- Extra recruitment option: Veterans for Glamour
- You need to pay for ship damages in Battlescape now
- Capitatory Tax
- Cydonia tweaks
- AI behaviour tweaks
- Regenerating units/armors have 0 recovery time, instead they get a proportional Freshness hit.
- Lots of new Lore, including the new VIP section
- Smoothing out rough edges
- Removing unused terrain/map/route files
- Small fixes

eXalted

Arcane
Dioxine has been streaming everyday for the last week in the XPiratez Discord. I thought that Hobbes shit ruined his morale but looks like he is back more than ever. Shared that he has a list with content ideas for years to come.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are PirateZ or XCF good for someone who last played X-COM Apocalypse in the year it was released? Also enjoyed lightly-modded nuXCOM2, but not Long War? Asking for a friend.

lightbane

Arcane
Shared that he has a list with content ideas for years to come.

Yep. He planned something like 5 different endgames plus endings, so you expect the mode will be in production for like 3/4 years more. I wonder what will be completed first: Caves of Qud, or Piratez?
Either way, Piratez has become a bit too bloated IMO, even if it uses quite fun new mechanics.

Are PirateZ or XCF good for someone who last played X-COM Apocalypse in the year it was released? Also enjoyed lightly-modded nuXCOM2, but not Long War? Asking for a friend.

I recommend starting with XCF. Piratez may be a bit too much of a change, especially if you don't like weaboo stuff references everywhere. Even worse: Grenades can explode on your hands in Piratez since the timer is always counting (but that way be a feature for you).
XCF has also a proper endgame planned, even if it's the same thing as the original game basically. Both games are harder than vanilla XCOM though. Also, have some advice: You can switch off personal lights on outfits that have them by pressing the "L" key. Flashlights can be switched on/off like grenades.

eXalted

Arcane
Either way, Piratez has become a bit too bloated IMO, even if it uses quite fun new mechanics.
It's one if the few games where that works for me. It's exactly that, giving you all kind of tools for experimentation and fun.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Given that I'm total noob to OpenXcom and want to install OXF, what do I do? Do I need latest OpenXcom? Or OpenXcomExtended?

eXalted

Arcane
Or OpenXcomExtended?
This.

It's the new shit right now.

You can then create user/mods folder and put XCF in there.
You will also need to put your original UFO: Enemy Unknown files in the "UFO" directory of OpenXcomExtended.

Thanks! I managed to get it working, currently faffing with display resolutions and filters. Looks like my native 2560x1440 for resolution and 1/3 Display for both geoscape and battlescape without any filters look the best, but I'll fully feel after couple of hrs. Some of those filters practically destroy the art, transforming it into a disgusting smear.

So any tips for beginners?

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I love all the wikis. More wikis. Though all the boobage makes me think this was churned out by horny boys. Not a turn off, of course, Xpiratez is a interesting take (a proper Xcom 2) and X-files is a love letter to the 90s, but just starts to get into gratuitous territory.

eXalted

Arcane
So any tips for beginners?
Read all UFO pedia entries.

Take a look at your Controls and hotkeys. There is a night vision hotkey but I prefer Ctrl+End (Ctrl+Fn+End on latops), it toggles different levels of light during a mission.

OpenXcom Extended has many hidden hotkeys:

Ctrl+Click - Soldier will run at the cost of more Energy.
Middle Click on enemy will show you information about the weapon they have equipped.
Scrolling over the engineers' number in Manufacture increases/decreases them.
Middle click an item in soldiers inventory opens it's (researched) UFOpedia entry.
Ctrl+click in inventory drops/equips an item quickly.
Middle and right click do all kind of stuff in menus and lists.
F5 and F9 saves and loads Loadouts when equipping soldiers.
Alt during battle shows unit facings. Also makes some type of enemy sprites easier to see.
Ctrl+H shows you a hit log. Ctrl+Alt+H shows extended hit log.
Middle click on Research topic shows research tree information. Pretty good to see who you need to capture and interrogate in XCF so you can advance in the plot.
Q opens a search functionality in most of the windows.

And lastly:
Don't savescum and don't use graphic filters. Go play now.

Last edited:

Better get started with XCF.
XCF is more like vanilla. You just have to get used to OXCE features and the new stuff, but the game eases you him. Its also less bloated, XCF is more tight.

Warning: Its harder than vanilla. To give you an idea, that start in the original game? It will feel like luxury. XCF literally tosses you a bunch of guys who can't hit for shit, a fancy 90s car which only takes two occupants, a bunch of handguns and batons, then tells you to get shit done. Its Mulder and Scully vs The World until you get the van. Then its more like Mistery Incorporated vs The World.

Don't feel ashamed for running, especially if its from bullshit like 20 zombies surrounding you early on.

I think one big difference is that early on, there's no such a thing as "disposable rookies." You just can't bring over a dozen dudes to missions, well unless you use the Mudranger.

You need to grind those rookies into elite agents through a combination of missions and lifting in gym.

PirateZ is probably the craziest X-COM related anything ever made. Its HUGE and its relatively easy to get lost.

One difference is that the Gals in PirateZ are straight-up superhumans. They get better stats than the average X-COM agent. They are less foddery.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

Hint for someone trying XCF on Android: If you are experiencing problems, restart your device and then start OXCE. I get no errors that way.

Be warned, you can't do the following things in Android (well, I haven't been able to):

- Switch Personnal Lightning
- Use Nightvision Mode
- Use Alternate Movement Modes.

I'm avoiding Night Missions like they're made of AIDS now. They are only doable with using flashlight, or liberal flare tossing...

Which makes night missions vs humans useless and against aliens, kinda suicidal.

Not being able to run makes melee more of a pain as well.
I suppose the same way Piratez does: Non-lethal ammo can still kill, to represent the chance of hitting some vital organ ("ouch, my eyes!"), and it is not too useful against armored targets. Since they're fired from a shotgun, range is limited, but this also makes shotguns even better at training rookies. Once you get dart pistols though, they become the default weapon for capturing until you can unlock the alien weapons.
Yeah you're right. Thanks for telling me, btw.

In retrospect, I did the right thing in waiting. Capturing shit with shotgun is already a pain. I can't imagine capturing shit with only electric clubs and taser pistols.

Enviado de meu moto e5 play usando o Tapatalk

eXalted

Arcane
OpenXcom Extended has many hidden hotkeys:
And the best key of all:

Ctrl + End Increases brightness during night missions. This way you won't have to use the night vision mode. Don't affect actual gameplay. Game still calculates everything like it's night.

eXalted

Arcane

lightbane

Arcane
Ctrl + End Increases brightness during night missions. This way you won't have to use the night vision mode. Don't affect actual gameplay. Game still calculates everything like it's night.
Oh, that's new! I didn't know that one! Will make things easier, although you still need to go around with flashlights and stuff like that, naturally. Night missions work well against non-Communist rejects factions (unless there are weaboos and ninjas around).

eXalted

Arcane
Oh, that's new!
I just recently discovered it. After that I was shocked that it's also in the Hawtkeys in the Bootiepedia. Turning the brightness up just 1 level is enough to see what's going on and at the same time keep the night atmosphere.

Never used torches until now (still earlt for flashlight). Are they actually useful? It always look at them as big neon lights that say I'M HERE SHOOT ME.

But, yeah, rhose ninja with night camo of 5 are brutal.

lightbane

Arcane
Never used torches until now (still earlt for flashlight). Are they actually useful? It always look at them as big neon lights that say I'M HERE SHOOT ME.

Dunno about torches, I don't play Piratez nor will do so until it's finished (in hopefully less than 10 years or so), if at all. As for the flashlights, the trick is to use them as regular flares and throw them away from your position, OR switch them off right before your turn is over to use stealth properly. Note that some outfits have "personal lights" that require pressing the L button to shut them down.

Also, newest OXCE update has hotkeys for base management, at long fucking last. :incline:

How much different is X-Pirates from Ufo(in terms of gameplay)? From these screenshots I see it looks too wacky

Piratez is wacky indeed, quite different from XCOM since melee is actually useful during the entire game, and it is has aspie-friendly research tree that takes forever to get to the end. Moreover, some research paths are exclusive, which means you cannot do everything during one playthtrough. At least it allows you to play the game in different ways due the countless unit types and weaponry you have available.

See also this for more info, if you have the time:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
How much different is X-Pirates from Ufo(in terms of gameplay)? From these screenshots I see it looks too wacky
Also the setting is much richer and has a bunch of distinct factions to fight, each with distinct gear, weapons and tactics. There's also a ton more variety in missions than just attacking downed ufos. You can raid temples and warehouses, fight with low life bandits of every sort, do bounties for people etc. Even raid ratmen villages for their apples.

Yeah it's "wacky" but you get used to it quick. The setting is actually well though out and established and the game has plenty of humor to wash it all down. There's a lot of crazy stuff in the game but mostly they make sense in the lore.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I hope we get more TFTD mods. I'm not hardcore enough for TWoTS. Didn't down a single USO until I quit by August. Why are Barracudas so unobtainable? Looking at the whole premise, it's eh. Humanity already fought one war and won and it's thirty years later. Gib Barracudas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom