Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Anyone know if the X-com font exists as a font you can install? Can't find anything searching for it.
Its a low res pixel font. Have fun tracing it out.
I did the A letter and it looked kinda cute though...

Endemic

Arcane
Ships in Xcom aren't damaged based on the damage you inflict on the geoscape. Instead when you "down" a ship each of their power sources has a separate, static chance to explode on turn 0 when you start the map (which can cause an explosion cascade if multiple power sources are near enough for one to destroy another). At least this is how it works in vanilla, no idea what mods can do with the new openxcom codebase.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO_Crash_Recovery

In TFTD the engines are blown up at random, but aren't always near the Elerium equivalent (Zrbite), so you have better odds for recovering it.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Alien_Sub_Crash_Recovery

Pretty sure Openxcom didn't change either of those.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I like how even the in-game tips admit how OP melee is

jVbepnM.png
lmao what's this, the artstyle looks similar to Ghost in the Shell manga

Jacob

Patron
>knows what a ghost in the shell manga is
>doesnt own all the shirow artbooks

gooby pls
stop pretend, you are among friends here
TBH I've only ever had the calendars and I lost in when my old HDD broke :oops: It's been a long while since I seen his artworks at all, almost forgot his name too. Also, I was actually asking about the name of the game, apparently it's the "X-Piratez" game people talked about, I guess the developers have good taste in anime.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Or, put another way, a promising mod is thoroughly ruined by pedo-weeb aesthetics.

edit: thanks for the buttons guys, reminded me to include the observation that this art style is also pedophiliac.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
But the mod is not really weeb... why do you keep repeating this shit even though you didtn even play it?

Weeb aesthetics is kawai pedophiles. Like (absolutely fucking disgusting)
knAYlvI.png

The mod is more like
PYfENE5.jpg

There were just like a couple of weeb pics when I played long ago ...and you get lolis at some point... but otherwise its all western with a weird fiction slant.

Jacob

Patron
Attractive women in real life looks more similar to this:
I like how even the in-game tips admit how OP melee is

jVbepnM.png

On the other hand, this:

is what we would call "butterface." And for some people, including me, the muscle mass is too much for their taste, too.

Note: anyone who is sexually aroused by the pic of the girl with side ponytail should be shot by the police.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
In related news, the L2 update makes alien ships have different symbols. Bigger ships have big symbiols.
VXtDaM6.png

Syme

Arbiter
Both XPiratez and X-Com Files got updated yesterday.

Piratez changelog

v.L3 23-Aug-2020 The Byzantine Crown
- OXCE Upgrade to 6.6 22-Aug-2020
- Fixed Aqua Plastic recovery from USO
- Fixed V.Skill overflow for Weirdgals and Gnomes
- Fixed unduly disappearing handheld shields
- Map Fixes
- New Missions: Party!, Attack On Winter Palace
- New Enemies: Pillbox, +6 enemy types for the Assault On Winter Palace mission
- New Weapons: Durandal Cannon, Concealable RR
- New Items: Polymakh's Cap (by OAK Group), Dog Collar (by Solarius Scorch)
- New Transformations: Lifeforce Focusing (x3)
- New Inv Images: Marsec Sentry Drone (based on Brain's picture), Marsec Hunter Drone (Voidavatar's)
- New gfx for X-Vampiress bite (by Xom126) and tank track animation (co-made with Xom126)
- New Events
- Animated Armored Cars (Xom126, Perekrylo)
- Gfx improvements by Bloax
- Chorts expanded
- Vehicles and Testudo armor now pay extra TU for turning
- Gals get morale bonus when defending Hideout
- Enemy Morale Recovery slower, but also even slower decay
- Mutant Blessings Fixed/Expanded
- Removed effects of Best Kind of Friend Condemnation, changed effects of Gal of Steel
- Shields on melee armors now have lower skill bonus to Evasion, get some flat bonus instead
- Riot Shield now protects vs Stabbing
- Red Shields easier to get
- Superhero armor harder to get
- Skulls now drain more Morale, Drug Dispenser buffed, Tome of Lightning electric again
- Minor fixes, tweaks, additions

Files changelog

1.5:
- New mission: UAC Weapons Delivery.
- New AI chassis: Large Flying Drone.
- 1 new event.
- New armor: Assault Suit (graphics by Brain_322).
- New weapons: Incinerator Grenade (graphics by Brain_322), Chemogun Extinguisher Tank, Chempistol Extinguisher Tank.
- New items: Optronic Parts, UAC Weapon Box.
- New units: Cow, Sheep, Pig and Chicken (sprites by Vangrimar1).
- New terrain: Rice Farm (by the C.M.P. Team: Luke83, b__0 & Efrenespartano).
- Overhauled and expanded Forest Marsh terrain (now with actual marsh).
- Bigger Cydonia.
- New Dimension X Base buildings (by Wolverin).
- Added visual damage indicator (by Mistar Red).
- Improved Toxigun Flask sprite (by Brain_322).
- Added Seeker Drone, Laser Turret, Cyberweb Roboturret and Cyberweb Centurion paperdolls and examination articles (graphics by Brain_322).
- Added a special X-Com Roboturret/Minigun sprite (by Brain_322).
- Added handobs for Small Shotgun, AKSU-74, AKM and Shogg Hammer.
- Improved pitchfork handob.
- Added descriptions of Hallucinoid attacks.
- Added some new Ufopedia articles.
- Reorganized a part of the tech tree related to Optronics and Alien Electronics, and items which have them.
- Recategorized some rifles.
- Jumpsuit and Grav Module now have color variations (aesthetic only).
- Can't sell survey results.
- Rat Breeding now requires Energetic Blood Plasma instead of Elerium.
- Plasma melee weapons now cost Elerium to produce.
- Moved BlackOps Contact and associated researches a bit further down the tech tree.
- Syndicate, MiB and Hybrid Scientists talk about Zombie Infectors.
- Abomination and Ooze now need Alien Containment.
- Radar Res Processor costs more to produce.
- Increased dropoff on all pistols.
- Skulljack doesn't require Psi Skill.
- Tritanium Harpoon Dart now requires knowledge of Tritanium Blades instead of Tritanium Ammo.
- Mudranger now carries 14 people and is used in some Dimension X missions.
- Added 2 doors to one Port map.
- Deep Ones now have proper screams (by Kato).
- Updated handcuff script (by Kozinsky).
- Updated installation instructions (thanks, Krautbernd).
- Cleaned up the WP ammo mess (and Colt Commando too).
- Removed Criminal Records from boxes.
- Corrected how Moon missions launch.
- Taser sprites correction (by Alex D).
- Fixed Syndicate Walker floorob.
- Fixed Forest map generation.
- Fixed Alloy Cannon Rounds price.
- Fixed Drone Rockets manufacturing.
- Fixed a crash on surrendering Space Technomads.
- Removed unused corpseGeo references.
- Minor fixes.

I been playing OpenXCOM for almost a half year (well, slightly less), but started to get better at game only recently, due to changes in playstyle [both for battlescape and for logistical part] and my recent love for Ironman option.
Now even without save-load options usually i lose only couple of soldiers - and even with some really silly mistakes, like charging into unknown with overwatching alien - i feel myself much more confident in game. Smoke grenades, heavy weapons, PSI, hunting for UFO's in regions where i do not have a base - everything suddenly makes sense, lol.
For people who want to play something relatively simple and close to original Ufo-Defense, but still providing different kind of gameplay - with enabled Ironman - i can personally recommend Final Mod Pack [created by guy who made X-COM Files].

It adds new content all across the board (aliens, weapons, support items, research topics) at all stages of the game, but does not go into too much content at once or for CBT tactical battles, so it is good entry point for relatively new players who want to learn game, imo.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Been hearing a lot of stuff about a similar more modern one (that uses newest additions from OpenXcom Extended) - Reaver's Faithful Megamod for OpenXcom. It also wants to be something like an expansion to the vanilla experience and not an overhaul.

Looks like a piece of crap to me, a kind of personal mod with random sawyerism of everything to the modder's taste.

Major highlights:

* The Lightning is bigger and can now carry tanks.
* The Heavy Plasma no longer has autoshot and is more cumbersome, but its damage has been increased.
* The Interceptor, Skyranger, and Avenger have each been split into two different ships. In the case of the Interceptor and Avenger, this is an overall nerf. It's more of a buff to the Skyranger.

Major content additions:

* More weapons iteration. Each weapons tier has a pistol, rifle, and heavy paired with an automatic counterpart. There are also more options for launcher ammo and explosives.
* More craft. In addition to the three craft splits, there are extra early and late-game craft for a total of 16 craft. Several of the craft have advanced radar and patrolling capabilities.
* More tanks. Every tank tier has 2 weapon types, each with 3 size variations for a total of 18 tanks. Guardian tanks are very durable while assault tanks can smash through heavy armor.
* More aircraft weapons and harder air combat. Every air weapons system has a short range (high DPS) and long range variant, and you'll no longer be able to out-range every ship you come across. You will also need to manufacture ammo for your plasma weapons. Fusion is far more powerful now, and can easily destroy even the bigger ships. It costs a lot of elerium, however.
* Large base facilities. Several facilities have large versions for better space efficiency. The large radar is now a large facility, thus lending some purpose to the existence of the small radar. The radar range of both has been increased.

Other major changes:

* General tiericide. Things at the same tech level are no longer lined up with each next one being a clear replacement for the previous. Instead, you are given choices, and multiple items in the same tech level will each be unique and useful.
* You must perform some research before you can build an alien containment. The game content is stretched out longer now.
* When you research laser weapons, you will immediately unlock the laser pistol and laser rifle. Other weapons research will frequently unlock multiple items at a time. Weapons research is now branching, rather than placing everything in a direct line, giving you more room to choose what you want to research. Rifles/heavies are no longer better than pistols; all weapons are viable and valuable.
* The aliens have been adjusted and rebalanced. Their UFOPedia entries sometimes explain their weaknesses, and are far more reliable now. Armor piercing damage is actually good against armor, the cyberdisc resists explosives, the reaper is properly killed by incendiary (which has been massively buffed), the chryssalid is actually weak to explosives now, and the sectopod's laser weapon has been ascended into the UFOPedia article as well as its attack animation.
* Plasma weapons must be reverse-engineered to be used by X-Com, and their monetary value as loot has been decreased substantially.
* Manufacturing profit has been rebalanced. You can no longer make laser cannons for huge profit, but you can make huge profit by manufacturing any of several items which require advanced alien craft components. Rule of thumb: the more difficult or expensive the recipe, the better the profit for making it. This rule of thumb does not apply to ammo.

Other minor changes:

* Laser and plasma weapons have been redecorated so that each line of weapons maintains a motif.
* Various in-game items which previously had no purpose may now have a purpose.
* You can manufacture heavy armor for your troops at the start of the game. Put those engineers to work!
* Missile and laser defenses are buffed and more useful now. Sometimes your base will be attacked by terror ships, and those are pretty easy to shoot down with early defense facilities.
* Power suit and flying suit now have attribute bonuses.
* Psionics have been fixed, involving a nerf to both sides.
* Difficulty setting makes a bigger difference. Play Beginner for a really easy experience, or play Superhuman for a big challenge. Choose Experienced or Genius for something more akin to the vanilla Beginner and Superhuman.

Things that haven't been iterated upon:

* Alien missions are pretty much untouched.
* Cydonia is untouched.
* The geoscape is unaltered.
* There isn't much for new armor suits.
All of these except the geoscape are receiving changes and additions in my upcoming mod!

I been playing OpenXCOM for almost a half year (well, slightly less), but started to get better at game only recently, due to changes in playstyle [both for battlescape and for logistical part] and my recent love for Ironman option.
Now even without save-load options usually i lose only couple of soldiers - and even with some really silly mistakes, like charging into unknown with overwatching alien - i feel myself much more confident in game. Smoke grenades, heavy weapons, PSI, hunting for UFO's in regions where i do not have a base - everything suddenly makes sense, lol.
For people who want to play something relatively simple and close to original Ufo-Defense, but still providing different kind of gameplay - with enabled Ironman - i can personally recommend Final Mod Pack [created by guy who made X-COM Files].

It adds new content all across the board (aliens, weapons, support items, research topics) at all stages of the game, but does not go into too much content at once or for CBT tactical battles, so it is good entry point for relatively new players who want to learn game, imo.

Yeah right, son. A couple.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm making an Iron man run. What a blast this game always is.

It has to be one of the better designed games ever in any genre. It's so fun, all the aspects well done and is not overly complex. It also plays like a dream with the source port.

Hopefully I can win the campaign.

Yeah, I know, but Ironman. Sorry, but part of me still respects player ability to keep his moods alive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom