Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I was excited for this game but after playing it I found they changed the way the combat works, so instead of being based on proximity, your attacks rely on which way you're holding movement keys. I suspect they designed the game for consoles first and were too lazy to port it to PC properly. In any case, very tedious and uncomfortable. I don't know why they couldn't have made attack direction controlled by the mouse, or even by which way you're moving rather than which way you have they keys pressed, or better yet just kept the combat from the original, but in any case I got a refund.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
your attacks rely on which way you're holding movement keys. I suspect they designed the game for consoles first and were too lazy to port it to PC properly
But that's the same for how it works on a controller (directional attack based on where you're aiming the left thumb stick). If anything it's easier on a keyboard since it's a matter of holding down two keys to guarantee the upward/downward thrust or just a regular sword swing. Personally I find it an objective improvement since it at least requires more input than what was just mashing the attack button while jumping around like a mad man around enemies before it dies in the first (plus the sword strikes have a lot more impact in general)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You also cannot rebind the controls which was an issue in the first one as well. And they removed Soul Link.
Still, the game is very good.

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, how's the story? Does it have a pretentious intro like the first one? I think I'll wait for a discount just to be sure.

But that's the same for how it works on a controller

Hence I suspect the game is a lazy console port. And I did describe two good alternatives for implementation.
Attack direction being based on what movement key you're holding down / what direction the movement analog stick is pressed in when you attack, has never been good.

DraQ

Arcane
So, I have my copy and it was technically still a D1P.
:incline:

I think the last time I did that (or tried to) was Homeworld 1, but that was after playing demo and then discovering that the game wasn't out yet in Potato.
:outrage:
You also cannot rebind the controls which was an issue in the first one as well.
Lies and misinformation.
You have explicit bindings screen in the new one and could edit the config in the first one, which allowed me to set up my super comfy control scheme based off the one I use for 3D FPP games for bonus muscle memory.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You also cannot rebind the controls which was an issue in the first one as well.
Lies and misinformation.
You have explicit bindings screen in the new one and could edit the config in the first one, which allowed me to set up my super comfy control scheme based off the one I use for 3D FPP games for bonus muscle memory.[/QUOTE]
Easy there. We're all friends here. You do have a screen that shows you the controls but you can't rebind them. Have you tried? Because I sure did.
And about Ori 1 and ini configuration, it was very unreliable and it didn't work for a lot of people, including yours truly, even with the guides available. A lot of issues all around.

lightbane

Arcane
Looks like a proper sequel. Does Ori identify itself as male or female this time? What about the owl companion?:M

Also, how to break the game for noob players:

DraQ

Arcane
Easy there. We're all friends here. You do have a screen that shows you the controls but you can't rebind them. Have you tried? Because I sure did.
Actually the first thing I did when verifying the game works as intended (I mean who in their right mind plays a game without configuring controls first?).
Sooo... the next question?
Did it work?
Yes, it did.

And about Ori 1 and ini configuration, it was very unreliable and it didn't work for a lot of people, including yours truly, even with the guides available. A lot of issues all around.
For people needing a guide to edit an .ini file?
Yes, I can see how that could happen.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Clearly we're playing different games because nothing allows me to rebind anything either from the game or from the main menu.

DraQ

Arcane
One weird issue I have encountered - LMB slows the game to a crawl (and just LMB :prosper: ), which is a bit of a bummer because it's number 1-2 key to bind actions to if you play game with M+KB.

Other than that everything (apart from lack of soul link) is
:yeah:

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Dude, Mouldwood Depths, holy shit, the most annoying area but the most unique boss fight. That was so good.

Edit: and then the desert area I was talking before, that encounter. Ori 1 has nothing on this one when it comes to difficulty.

Last edited:

Stanislavsky

Novice
Such an amazing and meditative Metroidvania game. Does someone play it? Do you like it?

D2G6ozC.jpg

MapMan

Arcane
How's performance? People complain about stutters and major FPS drops.

DraQ

Arcane
One weird issue I have encountered - LMB slows the game to a crawl (and just LMB :prosper: ), which is a bit of a bummer because it's number 1-2 key to bind actions to if you play game with M+KB.
Bumpdate:

Actually, it's not LMB itself. It's using arrows for movement. When you do that following happens:
  • Aiming ranged attacks and abilities (such as bash) with mouse no longer works.
  • Pressing LMB lags the living fuck out of the game so it's no longer usable for anything.
Bottom line:
If you are a southpaw or otherwise find WASD to be on the completely wrong end of your keyboard to be usable, don't use arrows. Bind your movement and other immediate access keys to the numpad or something.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finished it. Final fight is awesome but very tough and also unique as the Mouldwood Depths battle.
The last area is also the equivalent of the first game's Mount Horu, super super tough to navigate and complete objectives and it feels like a test where everything you learned in the game is necessary to get through.
Overall, very good game, better than the first and much harder as well.
Apparently Moon Studios are working on an ARPG next so...... we'll see. The story is done anyway in Ori 2 so a 3rd one wouldn't make sense. Unless a new character, a new place. IDK.

DraQ

Arcane
Finished it. Final fight is awesome but very tough and also unique as the Mouldwood Depths battle.
The last area is also the equivalent of the first game's Mount Horu, super super tough to navigate and complete objectives and it feels like a test where everything you learned in the game is necessary to get through.
Overall, very good game, better than the first and much harder as well.
Apparently Moon Studios are working on an ARPG next so...... we'll see. The story is done anyway in Ori 2 so a 3rd one wouldn't make sense. Unless a new character, a new place. IDK.
Ori: TNG?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Game seems easy as hell compared to the first, but I don't think that's true at all that's just Hollow Knight veteran status kicking in.

Still it's bootyful and a good game, and there's been basically no games I really want to play released since December so I'm happy until Trails games come out in ~24 hours

Jezal_k23

I thought the story beats were too similar too. I don't buy the "time to be sad" cutscenes anymore (like the Shriek backstory). What was beautiful in the first game becomes redundant and robbed of meaning when they try to do the exact same thing again while pretending it's brand new. Have they got no new tricks, story wise, thematically or tonally? Apparently not.

The gameplay itself I find excellent though, and I'm very satisfied with the game overall. The story just gives me a feeling of "I've already seen something very much like this before".

For the record, I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom