Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradox testing an experimental DLC subscription model in EU4

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/experimentation.1311555/

• gimme dem dolla bills x 9
    • decline x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    What exactly do they mean by "subscription"? Can it still be pirated?

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    season pass.
    i pass.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. cw8 Arbiter

cw8
    Will fail. Paying subs is already stupid. Paying subs for DLC is beyond stupid.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    hmmm…
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-3/paradox-business-model
    HMMMM…

• Funny x 4
    • Makes you think... x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal
    Pierdolcie się.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    "We have heard for years from existing and potential new players that the cost of getting the game and all expansions all at once is quite expensive (and might be discouraging for completely new EU4 fans)"

Then drop the price? retards.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A DLC subscription just for EU4 isn't worth it, but a monthly subscription for all Paradox grand strategy games seems like it could be a good deal for dedicated fans. Pay $5 a month/$60 a year to experience each new DLC as a free update. They can't go more expensive than Microsoft's Game Pass, right?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Disgusting! x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. what am i doing Savant

what am i doing
    Maybe they feel they have gotten their community to accept the whole notion of buying incomplete games, to the point that just subscribing for their continued development seems reasonable instead of paying constantly.
    Paradox is not a company that feels any good will towards their customers, so a consumer-friendly change like reducing the price or, god forbid, actually working on getting their games finished before release, was never going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    I have only one response to this: ARR, MATEY!

• Agree x 5
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    From Strategygamer.com

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Solution for helping new players jump into the game without robbing them of 100 bucks:

Don't charge 15 to 20 bucks for an "expansion" that changes 3 features.

I don't mind buying DLC for a game I like but Paradox's DLC policy is beyond ridiculous. I've bought DLC for other strategy games that was priced at around the same mark as Paradox DLCs, which added entire new campaigns. Meanwhile you can also get entire new factions and unit rosters for the Total War games for the price of 3 cosmetic DLCs in a Paradox game. Not defending Total War's DLC policy, it's also got some overpriced stuff, but it's not even close to Paradox's ridiculous jewery.

If you compare Paradox DLCs to similarly priced DLCs of other strategy games, you'll see that they barely add any content for the money they charge. And to add insult to injury, Paradox also released dozens of completely useless cosmetic packs that add new unit models (in games where you never zoom in close enough to look at unit models anyway because what's the point, combat is fully abstracted there's nothing to look at) or a couple of new music tracks.

If you look at the Steam reviews of some of the more useless Paradox DLCs, you'll also see mostly negative review scores because people feel like they didn't get their money's worth.

And to buy the entire package... EU IV is currently on sale. It costs 116 bucks to buy the complete bundle.
    The full price when not on sale is 270 bucks.

That's just utterly ridiculous. And it's not like you can just easily pick what you like. For Rome Total War 2, for example, there are campaign DLCs for Caesar in Gaul, Hannibal's invasion, the Peloponnesian war... if you don't care about those campaigns, you can ignore the DLC. If you do care about those campaigns, you know what you'll get when you buy the DLC.

Meanwhile Paradox DLC adds small new features to the base game that potentially change the way the game plays, and usually the most recent patch of the game is balanced around these features. So you absolutely should get all of the major DLCs. The game feels like a cut-down, half-baked experience without them. But they're also small enough changes that you won't feel like you got your money's worth from it, unlike with Rome 2's campaign expansions.

• Yes x 7
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    It's even more stupid than their current business model , they are trying desperatley to aim to the mainstream and a public that doesnt even exists . Players interested in paradox grand strategy games are nerds with income , the current business model is even insulting as we know how to count and can see the global prices of all those tiny micro extensions combined . They could sell the whole package in one piece and we still buy it cause it doesnt matter, its the same demographic who can afford 1000 euros for just one vr game or thousands of euros for a star Citizen ship...
    Those who cant afford or just pirate , still wont subscribe to anything, do they even have credit cards ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    It must be the first time someone introduces a gaming subscription model as a way to save money for gamers...

• Funny Funny x 8
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wyatt_Derp Arbiter

Wyatt_Derp
    The only gaming subscription we should pay for is internet service.

If you're saving 10%, the salesman conveniently forgets to remind you that you're still paying 90%.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    The nature of a subscription model is that it equalizes payments across the entire audience. No matter how many games you play, you pay the same monthly fee. So some gamers will pay more and others might indeed pay less.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Wyatt_Derp Arbiter

Wyatt_Derp
    So it's a big capitalist Christmas tree with a red commie star on top. That should please all those Bernie loving hipster devs and studios with a heart.

Just shut up and buy those DLCs, plebes. Nothing's stopped ya so far.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. passerby Savant

passerby
    All but one actual gameplay expansions and few cosmetics for $17 ( the only missing expansion is about playing independent colonies, or natives and has negative rating on Steam ):
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...wos_tile_index_2_c_europauniversalisiv_bundle

Is EU IV actually any good ? I'm waiting for HoI4 bundle.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Deadass Learned

Deadass
    nibba just buy the base game and crack all the DLCs like everyone does lmao

• Funny x 4
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Poos Arcane

Poos
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. thesecret1 Scholar

thesecret1
    It's not even for the whole thing, it's just for the DLCs. You still have to fork over 40 eurobucks for the base game, and THEN start making monthly deposits to Sweden. Holy shit.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Straight elf Prophet

Straight elf
    :what:

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Preben Savant

Preben
    Aren't they the same people who claim that "capitalism is disease" on social medias?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    Paradox also recently introduced an unnecessary launcher for Cities: Skylines, claiming that it would provide them with additional tools, even though those tools are already available to the devs/publishers through Steam. Cue much ado and uninstalls.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    That would make more sense as a Pdox-wide gamepass.

Honestly, they should stop releasing fuckloads of DLC and just focus on a few DLCs full of features.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top