Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since all character models are basically the same skeleton, I doubt they'll make only one model for each mythic path and make your gnome inexplicably tall.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will then introduce any "gold" based mythic path? I mean, gold dragon, demon... Why not a Marrid Chaotic Neutral Mythic path. Is IMO much better than a "trickster"

Lacrymas

Arcane
A portrait is specifically only the face down to the shoulders. I doubt they'd draw the entire model.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As Technomancer said, Kingmaker portraits showed far more than just a head and shoulders. The large portraits were almost always full-body.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DLC survey: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3026677

Pathfinders, we need your answers!

The work on Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is in full swing. Now we are approaching a Beta testing stage, so this is the right time to start thinking about the post-release life of Wrath of the Righteous. For us as for developers, it is important to know what our community thinks about downloadable content. We want you to enjoy the content that comes after the release of the game. This is why we have prepared this short survey – to better understand the way you play the games and what you like in DLCs.

Please help us by sharing your thoughts and take a survey here

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
You know why many DLCs is not a good choice and should be avoided? After DLCs were added in Deadfire for some reason performance was degraded both in frame drops and increased loading time. Also bugs.
It's better to have one bigger expansion than many DLCs, IMO.

Tyrr

Liturgist
DLC survey: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3026677

Pathfinders, we need your answers!

The work on Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is in full swing. Now we are approaching a Beta testing stage, so this is the right time to start thinking about the post-release life of Wrath of the Righteous. For us as for developers, it is important to know what our community thinks about downloadable content. We want you to enjoy the content that comes after the release of the game. This is why we have prepared this short survey – to better understand the way you play the games and what you like in DLCs.

Please help us by sharing your thoughts and take a survey here
Judging by the questions, it looks like they're planing a (episodic) DLC with new characters and a new story. One that has nothing to do with the main game.
Would that even be a DLC? Or just a new game with the same engine?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
When is this thing coming out?
They plan to release the game in June 2021:

The development process of Pathfinder: Kingmaker has equipped us with efficient pipelines and a real understanding of the scope of such a project in terms of both budget and time. We plan to deliver the game in June 2021 and we are fairly confident about this timeline. But since we aim to significantly extend the game’s features and increase the overall scale of the adventure, we might find out that certain parts of the game require more time to be polished. Our desire to provide the best experience to our backers and the results of alpha and beta testing may delay the final release. The good part is that this should also mean the game ends up being bigger and better than currently planned. Some of the features could also be changed as we move ahead with development and gain feedback from the players during the testing period. Wrath of the Righteous is being developed under the supervision of Paizo Inc., the owners of the Pathfinder IP. That means that all the products presented on this Kickstarter page are subject to change in order to meet the expectations of our licensing agreement with Paizo. Our experience delivering rewards in the previous campaign taught us a lot. Production took more time and effort than we expected, and we learned some valuable lessons. This time we’ve put extra effort into planning and logistics to ensure you get your rewards when promised.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's the thing with DLC. Both small-scale DLC and big expansions have their place, with huge caveats. Let's take for example Solasta, if they released a DLC for a reasonable price with all the remaining classes that didn't make it I wouldn't be pissed about that. Releasing small bits of content, however, instead of meaty expansions, doesn't stand as favorably with me. It causes untold balance problems, performance issues (see Deadfire), it doesn't gel well with the rest of the content narrative-wise most of the time, and is overpriced compared to base game. Kingmaker's model is weird. The Wildcards DLC is 100% overpriced, 6 euros for a single class/race and a companion? Beneath the Stolen Lands is more ok on that front, but the concept itself is neither good nor well-made. Varnhold's Lot is a different module that doesn't affect base game at all (I think?), so I think it's weird but strangely ok. If you want more content without it affecting base game, that's the way to do it, but it needs to be meaty enough to be worth it.

That said, I never buy DLC at full price unless it's for a game I really like and the price is reasonable (ToME, Grim Dawn, UnderRail). On top of that, since I have so many games to play, I usually wait for a game of the year edition instead.

ArchAngel

Arcane
When is this thing coming out?
They plan to release the game in June 2021:

The development process of Pathfinder: Kingmaker has equipped us with efficient pipelines and a real understanding of the scope of such a project in terms of both budget and time. We plan to deliver the game in June 2021 and we are fairly confident about this timeline. But since we aim to significantly extend the game’s features and increase the overall scale of the adventure, we might find out that certain parts of the game require more time to be polished. Our desire to provide the best experience to our backers and the results of alpha and beta testing may delay the final release. The good part is that this should also mean the game ends up being bigger and better than currently planned. Some of the features could also be changed as we move ahead with development and gain feedback from the players during the testing period. Wrath of the Righteous is being developed under the supervision of Paizo Inc., the owners of the Pathfinder IP. That means that all the products presented on this Kickstarter page are subject to change in order to meet the expectations of our licensing agreement with Paizo. Our experience delivering rewards in the previous campaign taught us a lot. Production took more time and effort than we expected, and we learned some valuable lessons. This time we’ve put extra effort into planning and logistics to ensure you get your rewards when promised.
I guess I will need to organize my summer time off around release date of this game :D

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Don't know how I feel about them using the Pillars I & II DLC as their point of comparison. As well as them thinking something as insignificant as the Divinity squirrel is also worthy of consideration.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You know why many DLCs is not a good choice and should be avoided? After DLCs were added in Deadfire for some reason performance was degraded both in frame drops and increased loading time. Also bugs.
It's better to have one bigger expansion than many DLCs, IMO.
The main reason why DLC in RPGs are BAD idea is they break game consistency. RPGs have certain story, balance, and two different versions one with DLC one without feels differently. DLCs in RPGs are definitely BAD idea.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I don't really have a problem with their proposed DLCs with new characters and new story, per se. They will just be a completely new game unrelated to WotR and so will have to be judged based on their own merit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm trying to do the survey now, but some of the questions are too brutally formulated. Like " In your opinion, what minimum playtime should a DLC have to provide a somewhat satisfying experience?" and the other one that comes along with it. It depends on the game and the type of DLC. Can you quantify how many hours a new class can provide? There are too many nuances to this question and I'm not even sure how to answer it even if it's "straight-up content you will definitely enjoy".

AliceAlcina

Learned
Judging by the questions, it looks like they're planing a (episodic) DLC with new characters and a new story. One that has nothing to do with the main game.
Would that even be a DLC? Or just a new game with the same engine?

Would you consider NWN campaigns dlcs? OC was base thing, while Hordes and Shadows were paid modules, no?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm trying to do the survey now, but some of the questions are too brutally formulated. Like " In your opinion, what minimum playtime should a DLC have to provide a somewhat satisfying experience?" and the other one that comes along with it. It depends on the game and the type of DLC. Can you quantify how many hours a new class can provide? There are too many nuances to this question and I'm not even sure how to answer it even if it's "straight-up content you will definitely enjoy".
50 hours. It's called expansion.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also "Please, rate an option to import your character from one adventure-DLC to another on a scale from 1 to 5, where 1 is “Awful” and 5 is “Great”" and the other one. Are these related adventures? Or just random? It depends on the format. Is the entire game/expansion a series of unrelated adventures you can go through with the same character? This survey is shooting itself in the foot.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I would kill for a DLCs to work like New Vegas. Interconnected betweem them and the base game. Where the last DLC is ending that takes your actions up to that point , like Lonesome Road with Ulysses dialogue battle in Lonesome Road.

Also i preffer DLC with your character and companions from base game instead of new ones.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Beneath the Stolen Lands is more ok on that front, but the concept itself is neither good nor well-made.

They screwed up with this one. Imagine if we could play the DLC with a new character and then, after the completion, import it to the main game, to be used as a companion! That would be super interesting, but they got it wrong, with some lazy design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom