Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You know I'm with you on the fact that he should start one, but it'll have to reach more than 63k for him to actually get 63k :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Depends of what he shows and how he prices it... but I would probably back it up.

Legends of Eisenwald and Expeditions got around that ammount, if he makes a solid presentation he could probably get it too. In the end, he can probably make a very clear assumption using his sales number... take Expedictions for example, they had 1.5k backers with $50 as the average donation... KotC is pretty much a love/hate game, most people that loved it will want a sequel; so if he sold like 3-4k copies, is not that hard to imagine half of them giving him some money for a sequel.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd back it - but I honestly don't know. How many people have even heard about KotC outside the Codex? How many of those consider it a good game and not just go OMG GRAPHICS SUCK? I'm afraid not that many...

Mortmal

Arcane
Pretty sure most people were turned of by the graphics, not even sure it would reach 10K at kickstarter. As much as i like kotc, there's no prestigious names behind it, very few knows about it and if ve seen quite a few promising kickstarters asking for less money failing.We should be playing kotc 2 already instead of that rts hes working on, no one interested into that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pretty sure most people were turned of by the graphics, not even sure it would reach 10K at kickstarter. As much as i like kotc, there's no prestigious names behind it, very few knows about it and if ve seen quite a few promising kickstarters asking for less money failing.We should be playing kotc 2 already instead of that rts hes working on, no one interested into that.

Considering how much Legends of Eisenwald, Xenonauts and Expeditions etc. got, what makes you say this? He's proved himself once - KotC - has a clear vision for the second, appeals very directly to fans of the genre unlike Legends and Expeditions that were even niche within the niche.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Legends and Expeditions that were even niche within the niche.

One has to wonder though how much they got because of how they looked. Legends looked awesome and while Expeditions wasn't that great looking, it was at least technically better than KotC. Don't underestimate the amount of graphic whores even in this niche. Consider how many we had here that omg couldn't play KotC because of the perspective. :retarded:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I'd back it - but I honestly don't know. How many people have even heard about KotC outside the Codex? How many of those consider it a good game and not just go OMG GRAPHICS SUCK? I'm afraid not that many...
The shocking thing is that I still remember two years ago or before, when KotC screenshots were first released, dozens upon dozens of posts on the Codex ridiculed it as an ugly game.

And not just usual suspects. People whom I thought weren't so obsessed with graphics were ragging on it. I was surprised by the whole thing.

Rpgsaurus Rex

He's going the Thomas Biskup route, procrastinate too much and the game never comes out.

Also, KotC ugly? wtf? what matters is good interface and controls, and it was perfectly fine there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If he makes sufficiently dolled-up mockups for his kickstarter campaign, he can go "first game was highly regarded RPG classic -- NOW WITH BLOOM!"

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I like to think he'd make it but I just don't know. KotC didn't do that well, and a lot (most?) of the people who bought it and are aware of Kickstarter will probably be burned out after all the other RPGs that have been funded on it - KotC might be the final "well, I've spent too much on KS this year already" casualty. I don't know how good he'll be at marketing it; KotC was marketed by a good demo and word of mouth, the website and so on didn't really sell it at all, which doesn't bode well for a Kickstarter campaign. I'm also afraid that if he tries and fails he'll give up on it forever :(

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I liked the graphics, they had a special kind of charm you don't get nowadays, even in the so-called "retro-looking" indie games. Did he ever say how much he made with KotC? I think he should be able to make 70k$ with no problem, but he should be able to make a good estimate using his sales number as felipepepe said.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You're making me sad Jim :(

BTW, I detested the graphics. But that wasn't really a big deal, the game still fucking rocked.

Mortmal

Arcane

Considering how much Legends of Eisenwald, Xenonauts and Expeditions etc. got, what makes you say this? He's proved himself once - KotC - has a clear vision for the second, appeals very directly to fans of the genre unlike Legends and Expeditions that were even niche within the niche.

hes proved himself once.. to us , Old school grognards, who would play it even if it was in ascii. Legends of einsewalkd and expeditions look(graphically) fabulous compare to it they have a much more wide audience, legend of einsenwald is clearly heroes of might and magic market, its huge. I would back a kotc2 but problem is to convince others.

Emily

Arcane
Their graphics were fucking terrible. I think that ruined it for most people. There are plenty of even in SEGA times great graphics that are affordable and easy to make.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The point is the graphics quality shouldn't matter much here, even if KotC's were shit, the game was grand.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The graphics put me off because the weird inconsistent perspective looked like it would genuinely give me mild vertigo, but they work fine in practice and actually do start to develop a sort of charm. Man up and play it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought I remember him saying that the graphics in part two wouldn't be like the ones in the first one. He mentioned tokens like the ones in D&D.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was that just a mockup? I thought I recall him saying that was better because he wouldn't need the animations and could add monsters more readily. Maybe I dreamed it all.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Was that just a mockup? I thought I recall him saying that was better because he wouldn't need the animations and could add monsters more readily. Maybe I dreamed it all.
I don't know if it was a mockup or not, but I'm sure that was the graphic style he had planned. I prefered the KoTC look to be honest - it was salvageable, the worst thing about it was the font (I think this was what scared off many people here on Codex and elsewhere). I definitely don't like static tokens without any animations in my computer games (part of why Vogel games seem bland).
However, if there was a KoTC2 kickstarter, the guy wrote that he would hire graphic artists, so no tokens probably, but indie-level graphics, which are more than enough.

I'm not sure about the kickstarter though. Pierre seems to me a guy that has no idea about promoting his projects, just look at how KotC was advertised (hint: it wasn't). If someone else was to take up working on the kickstarter itself and publicity, it should work.

J1M

Arcane
I would donate to this kickstarter, but only if he demonstrated a new UI.

The graphics were odd, but fine and I didn't like the realtime movement very much but the UI made things unplayable.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
KotC was fantastic. I'd easily pledge 250$.

Also, I think he should have an idea of the market size going by KotC sales?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
He's really been against it the whole time (that is an old thread). I can't say I blame him. KS looks like A LOT of work. Also KOTC1 got RPS coverage, so the potential for doing much better is limited. There's the graphics, then there's the actual size of the stat heavy RPG niche. Pretty and lightweight for a good relaxing play after work seems the way to go, unfortunately.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would donate to this kickstarter, but only if he demonstrated a new UI.

The graphics were odd, but fine and I didn't like the realtime movement very much but the UI made things unplayable.

Idem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom