Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I still have my password and wow, there's tons of stuff in his private forum. I'll post some:

Hi, in this update I will talk a bit about spells.

In terms of the share of development work, spells are one of the biggest chunks for both KotC and KotC 2.

Since the game will have an integrated module editor, there will be a spell editor.

I will use the spell editor to create the database of all the spells described in the website.

Later on, players might use it to create an additional spell or two for their modules, or to modify an existing spell.

In the following screenshots you can see the spell properties for the spell Protection from Arrows. (click to enlarge)
By the way, I'm thinking that this spell should only provide DR 5, not DR 10.

As you can see this is the only spell in the database so far, so I'm going to have to spend a lot of time just to add the spells. Meanwhile I'm also going to develop the other editors - for items, weapons/armour, creatures, scripts and finally maps.

I need to have all the editors ready before I can work on combat, the game's interface and AI.

And now here is the picture for the Cleric. I hope you'll like it!

Cleric.png

FWE/KotC 2 is now my only project so things will go a bit quicker, hopefully.

Note: I don't get paid anything for working on this, so please show your support by buying Battle of the Sands (now just £5) or my book (now £9.95).

Early screenshots of main menu and new module dialogue box (please ignore the old icons from Battle of the Sands):

Early screenshots of character creation (one with my old class illustration and one with the new one):

And now... I present the Barbarian in all his png glory, drawn by Roman Hodek:

Barbarian.png

Some design changes intended to simplify programming and which I have yet to mention in the main site:
- fog effects and other concealment effects due to terrain will only affect ranged attacks if they are present in the square(s) of the target.
- none of the spells or psionic powers will use duration: concentration. Instead the psionic powers to dominate will work like the wizard's equivalent spells (except that the number of targets will depend on the PP expense).

Some other changes I'm thinking about:
- a Bard spell equal to Cleric's Silence
- Adamantine armour DR of 2, 4 or 6 for light/medium/heavy armour, respectively.

Hi, a picture is worth many words so this time I'm going to let pictures talk for the most part.
Note: the troll token used in here is only for illustration purposes as I don't own that picture.
Also, for info, the artist has agreed to do monster tokens, item icons and weapon icons for the game.

Screens from the map editor and the creature editor

Death Knight class illustration
Death%20Knight.png

Druid class illustration
Druid.png

The last few weeks I've been working on the weapon editor, item editor, integration of item editors with the edit-equipment page of the creature editor, edit-equipment page functionality, and the monster-creation wizard.

The monster-creation wizard (see last screenshot) is the tool we use to easily and automatically create, for example, a level-10 Drow Wizard out of the basic level-1 Drow Warrior described in the monster manual. It will work with all monsters and all classes. I used a similar tool in KotC. Right now it's about 50% done so in the next few weeks I'll be working on that.

The edit-equipment page allows to move items around (but not swap them or split them, yet), destroy items, open containers, drag and drop a new item from the lists on the right of the screen, or click-select a new item from an icon list (left clicking on a slot produces an icon list of all the possible items for that slot).

The item and weapon editors allow to define everything about items and weapons. The icon is chosen from all 64x64 icons existing in the appropriate folder. Adding a 64x64 png in the appropriate folder makes that picture available in the game. Items can have any number of effects, bonuses and penalties. Weapons and armour too, in addition to their enchantments. The only thing missing for the moment is a function to assess the price of an object, not very easy for non-standard magic items.

In order to improve clarity, I recently added a dark layer for all windows that are below the active window. You can see that effect in the last few screenshots. I think it's much better that way.

Here are the screenshots (click to enlarge) and the illustrations for Fighter and Monk. Enjoy!
Note: work in progress, the item icons here are from KotC.

Creature editor: edit feats and special abilities, edit artificial intelligence, edit immunities and damage reduction:

Item editor, and two screenshots from the creature editor edit-equipment page:

Edit-equipment page for a creature with four or more arms, and monster-creation wizard page:

Fighter class illustration
Fighter.png

Monk class illustration
Monk.png

In the past weeks I've been working on foundation stuff, like how the computer should process ability bonuses of a certain type and apply the highest value to the ability. That's something that wasn't done in KotC.

Programming-wise, it's based on a vector of vectors. A vector is a list of variable size. So a vector could contain a list of enhancement bonuses to Strength, for example. It could contain an enhancement coming from a belt of Giant strength, an enhancement coming from gauntlets of Ogre power and an enhancement coming from a spell. Another vector could contain a list of deflection bonuses to AC. That list could contain a deflection bonus from a ring and a deflection bonus coming from the spell Shield of Faith. And so on. Since there can be many lists applying to the same character, we use a vector of vectors.

So because this is all foundation work, I can't display new screenshots. Instead, let's have a look at the enchantments I'm planning to have in the game. Then we can have a look at the class illustrations for Paladin and Psionicist.

Weapon enchantments

Greater Phasing, price 5: The weapon ignores 15 points of DR.

Draining, price 5: Upon hitting, inflict one permanent negative level to the target.

Drinker, price 5: On a successful hit, the wielder gains 1d6 temporary HP that are drained from the target. Only for melee weapons.

Disrupting, price 5: Upon hitting, the target’s AC is reduced by one point (to a minimum of zero) until the end of combat. No save.

Force, price 4: Whenever you deal a critical hit, you deal a number of points of force damage equal to four times the weapon’s basic damage (e.g. 4d8 for a longsword).

Vorpal, price 4: Only for slashing weapons. Whenever you deal a critical hit, the base damage increases by a number of points equal to 10 times the weapon's critical multiplier (e.g. 20 for a longsword).

Destruction, price 4: The weapon’s base damage increases by 3d6.

Greater Defending, price 4: Only for melee weapons. Provides a +4 Shield bonus to AC.

Brilliant Energy, price 4: Not for ranged weapons. Ignore all armour and shield AC bonuses, but you can still damage the undead and constructs.

Blinding, price 4: Upon hitting, forces a Willpower saving throw of DC 18. Failing it means the creature is blinded for 1d6 rounds.

Skewer, price 4: You trigger a critical hit whenever the attack roll exceeds the target’s AC by five or more. You still need to confirm the critical.

Stunning, price 3: Only for bludgeoning weapons. Whenever you deal a critical hit, the victim must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw of DC 16 or be stunned for one round.

Tripping, price 3: Upon hitting, forces a Reflex saving throw of DC 16. Failing it means the creature is prone.

Swift, price 3: Provides one extra attack at the full BAB.

Life Stealing, price 3: Only for slashing weapons. Upon dealing a critical hit, bestows a negative level on the victim and provides 1d6 temporary HP to the wielder.

Wounding, price 3: Upon hitting, reduces the target’s constitution by one point.

Slowing, price 3: Upon hitting, forces a Willpower saving throw of DC 16. Failing it means the creature is slowed for 1d4 rounds.

Dispelling, price 3: Upon hitting, cast Greater Dispel on the magic effect of highest caster level existing on the target. The wielder's character level is used for this check.

Disarming, price 2: Upon hitting, forces a Reflex saving throw of DC 14. Failing it means the creature is disarmed.

Phasing, price 2: Weapon ignores 5 points of DR.

Snaring, price 2: Only for ranged weapons. Target must succeed on a Reflex save of DC 14 or become entangled and stuck for 1d4 rounds, or until it breaks free (Strength check DC 16).

Holy, price 2: Can't combine with unholy. Weapon is good-aligned and deals 2d6 holy damage to evil creatures.

Unholy, price 2: Can't combine with holy. Weapon is evil-aligned and deals 2d6 unholy damage to good creatures.

Axiomatic, price 2: Can't combine with anarchic. Weapon is lawful-aligned and deals 2d6 axiomatic damage to chaotic creatures.

Anarchic, price 2: Can't combine with axiomatic. Weapon is chaotic-aligned and deals 2d6 anarchic damage to lawful creatures.

Flaming Burst, price 2: You deal 1d6 fire damage on a normal hit and 1d6 + 1d10 on a critical hit (or more depending on the critical multiplier).

Icy burst, price 2: You deal 1d6 cold damage on a normal hit and 1d6 + 1d10 on a critical hit (or more depending on the critical multiplier).

Shocking Burst, price 2: You deal 1d6 electricity damage on a normal hit and 1d6 + 1d10 on a critical hit (or more depending on the critical multiplier).

Acidic Burst, price 2: You deal 1d6 acid damage on a normal hit and 1d6 + 1d10 on a critical hit (or more depending on the critical multiplier).

Undead Destruction, price 2: Only for bludgeoning weapons. Upon hitting an undead creature, forces a Willpower save of DC 14 to avoid destruction.

Flaming Splash, price 2: Only for ranged weapons. On a successful hit, the projectile deals 2d4 fire damage to the target and all adjacent creatures. Can’t be combined with other elemental effects.

Icy Splash, price 2: Only for ranged weapons. On a successful hit, the projectile deals 2d4 cold damage to the target and all adjacent creatures. Can’t be combined with other elemental effects.

Shocking Splash, price 2: Only for ranged weapons. On a successful hit, the projectile deals 2d4 electricity damage to the target and all adjacent creatures. Can’t be combined with other elemental effects.

Acidic Splash, price 2: Only for ranged weapons. On a successful hit, the projectile deals 2d4 acid damage to the target and all adjacent creatures. Can’t be combined with other elemental effects.

Defending, price 2: Only for melee weapons. Provides a +2 Shield bonus to AC.

Flaming, price 1: You deal an additional 1d6 fire damage. Can't be combined with other elemental effects except Flaming Burst.

Frost, price 1: You deal an additional 1d6 cold damage. Can't be combined with other elemental effects except Icy Burst.

Shocking, price 1: You deal an additional 1d6 electricity damage. Can't be combined with other elemental effects except Shocking Burst.

Acidic, price 1: You deal an additional 1d6 acid damage. Can't be combined with other elemental effects except Acidic Burst.

Keen, price 1: Not for bludgeoning weapons. Increases the critical range. Bows confer the attribute to their ammunition.

Aberration Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Animal Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Construct Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Dragon Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Elemental Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Giant Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Humanoid Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Magical Beast Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Monstrous Humanoid Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Ooze Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Outsider Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Undead Bane, price 1: Against foes of the designated type, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than the normal enhancement bonus, and the base damage increases by 2d6.

Ghost Touch, price 1: The weapon bypasses the 50% miss chance on attacks versus incorporeal creatures.

Vicious, price 1: Not for bludgeoning weapons. On a successful hit, the enchantment causes the target to bleed (it loses 1 HP per round). The damage is cumulative.

Barbed, price 1: Increases the weapon’s critical multiplier by one. Bows confer the attribute to their ammunition.

Distance, price 1: Only for bows and crossbows. This enchantment removes the penalty of -2 for shooting at a square located beyond 50% of the maximum range.

Entangling, price 1: Only for bows and crossbows. Upon hitting the target, magical roots grow from the arrow, entangling the target for one round. No save.

Armour enchantments

Armour enchantments will cost as much as weapon enchantments (not half as much as in D&D).

Fortification I, price 1: The user gains a 25% chance to avoid critical hits.

Fortification II, price 3: The user gains a 75% chance to avoid critical hits.

Fortification III, price 5: The user gains immunity to critical hits.

Invulnerability, price 3: Only for armour. The wearer gains DR 5 / magic. Each point of enhancement of a weapon bypasses four points of DR / magic. For example, a +2 weapon would bypass eight points out of DR 10 / magic.

Greater Invulnerability, price 5: Only for armour. The wearer gains DR 10 / magic.

Bravery, price 3: Only for armour. All allies in a 10' radius (including the wearer) gain a morale bonus of +1 to attack rolls.

Greater Bravery, price 5: Only for armour. All allies in a 10' radius (including the wearer) gain a morale bonus of +2 to attack rolls.

Quickness, price 3: Only for armour. The wearer gains a +5 bonus to speed.

Greater Quickness, price 5: Only for armour. The wearer gains a +10 bonus to speed.

Red, price 5: For both armour and shields. All fire damage is cut by 50% (after reduction from any other effects). 50% reductions from multiple sources do not stack.

Green, price 5: For both armour and shields. All acid damage is cut by 50% (after reduction from any other effects). 50% reductions from multiple sources do not stack.

Blue, price 5: For both armour and shields. All electricity damage is cut by 50% (after reduction from any other effects). 50% reductions from multiple sources do not stack.

White, price 5: For both armour and shields. All cold damage is cut by 50% (after reduction from any other effects). 50% reductions from multiple sources do not stack.

Black, price 5: For both armour and shields. All negative energy damage is cut by 50% (after reduction from any other effects). 50% reductions from multiple sources do not stack.

Warding, price 4: The user gains immunity to death effects.

Resilient, price 4: The user gains immunity to disintegration effects.

Draconic, price 1: Only for armour. The enhancement bonus to AC increases by two points against creatures of the Dragon type.

Acid Resistance I, price 2: The user gains Acid damage reduction 10.

Acid Resistance II, price 3: The user gains Acid damage reduction 20.

Acid Resistance III, price 4: The user gains Acid damage reduction 30.

Cold Resistance I, price 2: The user gains Cold damage reduction 10.

Cold Resistance II, price 3: The user gains Cold damage reduction 20.

Cold Resistance III, price 4: The user gains Cold damage reduction 30.

Electricity Resistance I, price 2: The user gains Electricity damage reduction 10.

Electricity Resistance II, price 3: The user gains Electricity damage reduction 20.

Electricity Resistance III, price 4: The user gains Electricity damage reduction 30.

Fire Resistance I, price 2: The user gains Fire damage reduction 10.

Fire Resistance II, price 3: The user gains Fire damage reduction 20.

Fire Resistance III, price 4: The user gains Fire damage reduction 30.

Sonic Resistance I, price 2: The user gains Sonic damage reduction 10.

Sonic Resistance II, price 3: The user gains Sonic damage reduction 20.

Sonic Resistance III, price 4: The user gains Sonic damage reduction 30.

Spell Resistance I, price 3: Only for armour. The user gains Spell Resistance 17.

Spell Resistance II, price 4: Only for armour. The user gains Spell Resistance 22.

Spell Resistance III, price 5: Only for armour. The user gains Spell Resistance 27.

Fire Defence, price 3: Opponents hitting the character take 1d6 fire damage + 1 per two character levels. Can't be combined with other elemental damage. Only for armour.

Cold Defence, price 3: Opponents hitting the character take 1d6 cold damage + 1 per two character levels. Can't be combined with other elemental damage. Only for armour.

Electricity Defence, price 3: Opponents hitting the character take 1d6 electricity damage + 1 per two character levels. Can't be combined with other elemental damage. Only for armour.

Acid Defence, price 3: Opponents hitting the character take 1d6 acid damage + 1 per two character levels. Can't be combined with other elemental damage. Only for armour.

Greater Vitality, price 4: Only for armour. Increases the Hit Points of the wearer by 20.

Vitality, price 2: Only for armour. Increases the Hit Points of the wearer by 10.

Arrow Protection, price 1: For shields and armour. Provides a +2 circumstance AC bonus versus Ranged attacks (but not touch attacks). Circumstance bonuses stack with each other.

Mirror, price 1: For shields and armour. Provides a +2 circumstance bonus to Armour Class versus ranged touch attacks. Circumstance bonuses stack with each other.

Light Weight, price 1: Only for armour. Reduces the item's weight by 80%. The item’s penalties remain unchanged.

Spiked, price 1: Only for armour. Grappling opponents take 1d6 piercing damage per round.

And now, the class illustrations:

Paladin class illustration
Paladin.png

Psionicist class illustration
Psionicist.png

Next steps in my development list:

- Script Editor
- Remaining stuff in the map editor (doors, walls and other map info).

Constructive comments are welcome
icon_e_smile.gif

Hi, here's an update about the Script Editor. Scripts are used to control the flow of an adventure. They provide the NPC dialogue and you can use them to move the party somewhere, move monsters, give the party rewards, open a passage, etc.

A script is composed of script actions. The available script actions are displayed on the lower half of the script editor. You double-click a line to add it to the current script. The actions often require specifying some extra information such as a character name, item name or a position. The upper half of the script editor displays the content of the script currently being created.

As an example in the following screenshot you have the script editor opened with a script that could be used for the dialogue of the Sphinx. Every time the party talks to the Sphinx, the script is executed, starting from line 0.

On line 1, the script looks whether the player has already answered the riddle correctly. If yes, a dialogue is displayed congratulating the player. Then the script ends.

The rest of the script (line 6+) is only executed when the player has not yet answered the riddle correctly. First there's a bit of presentation dialogue on line 6-7 and then you have the dialogue for the riddle on line 8. Line 9 sets the dialogue answers that will appear on the screen. One of the answers ({RIDDLE}) will allow the player to type in his own answer.

In line 11 we check whether the given answer is the correct one (or one of the correct ones). Line 12 sets the riddle status as completed so that talking to the Sphinx again will not ask the riddle again (that would create a situation that the player could exploit for experience points). Line 13-14 displays a confirmation to the player.

From line 15 we have the code for what happens when the player has answered incorrectly. Another dialogue is displayed and then the script ends.

I'm curious, has anyone played with the script system of Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2? I haven't. Is it very different?

Recently I also worked on dialogue boxes for map data and module data. Here they are:

And here are the class illustrations for the Psychic Warrior and Ranger.

Psychic Warrior class illustration
Psychic%20Warrior.png

Ranger class illustration
Ranger.png

I've also added a number of armour enchantments to the list in this post.

How come no one else here saw this?

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Fighter.png

:lol:

The art somehow manages to be simultaneously ghastly and utterly uninspired and generic.

oscar

Arcane
Also, why the hell is there a Psychic Warrior and a Psionicist class? I don't think an rpg has ever made me stop and think "gee I wish we had more psionic-based classes to chose from".

Considering the artwork for the glowing red-eyed Cleric and the very title 'Death Knight' are we playing evil protagonists? Yet if so, why is there a Paladin? Will KoTC2 be introducing moral dilemmas and meaningful alignment? It's worrying because I doubt this guy can tell an interesting story to save his life and a simple and a straightforward excuse-to-kick-ass plot would work a lot better than some convoluted high fantasy 'epic'.

Lhynn

Arcane
Or everybody who played it pirated it.
I know i did, ive regreted it plenty, perhaps if i hadnt i would have bothered to finish it, ill probably buy it in the future, when i have the time to play it, god knows this game deserves it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really dislike the way he goes about house-ruling 3.5 without really seeming to know what he's doing. I had a discussion about the classes with at length once, in which I tried to convince him to use Pathfinder for everyone's sake, but he's insisting on keeping a self-modded abomination of 3.5, so I suppose crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is all that's left.

Those screenshots look nowhere near "graphical quality of ToEE" though, gotta say.

Still hopin'. KotC was good, after all.

Also, why the hell is there a Psychic Warrior and a Psionicist class?

Because gishes are cool and anyone who dislikes them suck multi-headed dongs?

TigerKnee

Arcane
I took a risk on KoTC and bought it instead of pirating but in the end I didn't like it, but admittingly disliking KoTC isn't a very common trend over here.

Also, why the hell is there a Psychic Warrior and a Psionicist class? I don't think an rpg has ever made me stop and think "gee I wish we had more psionic-based classes to chose from".
Isn't this from the source material anyway? As in both these classes exist in some 3.5X D&D splatbook somewhere and he's just taking and implementing them both in the game. Combining them into one class would probably be more work.

Plus really, 2 psionic classes is too much? I know most people hate the idea of psionics in fantasy RPGs, but is "this is a caster Psi class" and "this is a fighter Psi class" really too much to handle?

Considering the artwork for the glowing red-eyed Cleric and the very title 'Death Knight' are we playing evil protagonists? Yet if so, why is there a Paladin? Will KoTC2 be introducing moral dilemmas and meaningful alignment? It's worrying because I doubt this guy can tell an interesting story to save his life and a simple and a straightforward excuse-to-kick-ass plot would work a lot better than some convoluted high fantasy 'epic'.
Um, I'm going to expect that it's about as meaningful as Alignment in early Wizardries - it might affect party composition, but a Death Knight is going to have the same goal of "Kill Big Boss X" as a Paladin and any "roleplay" will be larping.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I really dislike the way he goes about house-ruling 3.5 without really seeming to know what he's doing. I had a discussion about the classes with at length once, in which I tried to convince him to use Pathfinder for everyone's sake, but he's insisting on keeping a self-modded abomination of 3.5, so I suppose crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is all that's left.
He should get the Incursion Roguelike guy out of hiding to design his classes instead. That guy wasn't using Pathfinder either and I liked how he handled his classes. Mostly.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I pirated KoTC 1, because I had no convenient way of paying for the game when it was released and later was too lazy to do it. I will probably buy it when if it appears on GOG or Steam. Maybe I will also actually finish the game then.

Regardless, I am rather interested in the sequel. Simply more of the same would be boring, but it seems the second game is supposed to be quite an improvement in many ways, which is very promising.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How come no one else here saw this?
I think everyone had given up hope and just forgot about it.

It was supposed to be firmly on hold till we buy enough of his rts game and write praises about it ... So kinda lost interest into it and i cant remmber my forum login and password anyway.
Not only that but he wants people to buy it at full price because putting it on steam and having it go on sale and sell like hotcakes would insult him or something. I try not to care about what a dev is like personally, but holy fuck what a douche this guy is.

Angthoron

Arcane
And it's not like Steam/GoG arbitrarily choose what title goes on sale, either.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
On October he was in touch with GOG, but was very butthurt that they wanted to sell Knights Of The Chalice but not Battle of the Sands:

Pierre Begue said:
First off, VentilatorOfDoom, I would really appreciate it if you didn't come to my forum to tell me that no-one cares about one of my products (that's your warning). You have the point of view of the RPG player but that's not the only point of view out there. Being its creator, I obviously do care about BotS. Some RTS players may like BotS, in the same way that some readers may like my book. Your opinion is not the universal one and it's not the only one that matters.

In addition, anyone interested in seeing another game like KotC should care about BotS too, because the viability of any business depends on its sales. I've said it before, but I don't get paid anything for the humongous amount of work that KotC 2 requires. Financially, it does not make sense to do it. That's one of the reasons why I had to split the work between two games.

nonadventurer said:
these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon.
This may seem at odds with what I've just said above, but money is not everything. If the relationship with the distributor is one where the distributor gets all decision power, and the developer gets none, then I'm not interested. That doesn't mean I won't do a deal for KotC alone or for both games. It's something I'll determine from talks with GOG, in my own time.

I would also very much dispute the idea that getting a distribution deal for any game is always a great boon. In any case, you're not in the position that I'm in, so you cannot make the assessment that only I can make as to whether a distribution deal would be good or not. Finally, I don't consider that it is particularly urgent for me to get any of my games on a distribution site. I hope that clarifies things. I am now locking this thread.

/Pierre

Anything to add, JudasIscariot ? :3

Mortmal

Arcane
yes i see it coming 30 euros , not on steam and selling a few hundreds at best .

oscar

Arcane
Plus really, 2 psionic classes is too much? I know most people hate the idea of psionics in fantasy RPGs, but is "this is a caster Psi class" and "this is a fighter Psi class" really too much to handle?

When only a small number of classes are available I'd prefer something a bit more interesting than "existing class with a bit of Fighter thrown in".

getter77

Augur
I knew of all these updates this past while(which is probably a given considering I guess), but none of them leaped out at me as being anything beyond him crunching through the gist of things as things slowly but surely get wrangled---especially compared to the likes of what got this particular thread going in the first place.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
On October he was in touch with GOG, but was very butthurt that they wanted to sell Knights Of The Chalice but not Battle of the Sands:

Pierre Begue said:
First off, VentilatorOfDoom, I would really appreciate it if you didn't come to my forum to tell me that no-one cares about one of my products (that's your warning). You have the point of view of the RPG player but that's not the only point of view out there. Being its creator, I obviously do care about BotS. Some RTS players may like BotS, in the same way that some readers may like my book. Your opinion is not the universal one and it's not the only one that matters.

In addition, anyone interested in seeing another game like KotC should care about BotS too, because the viability of any business depends on its sales. I've said it before, but I don't get paid anything for the humongous amount of work that KotC 2 requires. Financially, it does not make sense to do it. That's one of the reasons why I had to split the work between two games.

nonadventurer said:
these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon.
This may seem at odds with what I've just said above, but money is not everything. If the relationship with the distributor is one where the distributor gets all decision power, and the developer gets none, then I'm not interested. That doesn't mean I won't do a deal for KotC alone or for both games. It's something I'll determine from talks with GOG, in my own time.

I would also very much dispute the idea that getting a distribution deal for any game is always a great boon. In any case, you're not in the position that I'm in, so you cannot make the assessment that only I can make as to whether a distribution deal would be good or not. Finally, I don't consider that it is particularly urgent for me to get any of my games on a distribution site. I hope that clarifies things. I am now locking this thread.

/Pierre

Anything to add, JudasIscariot ? :3
I only wanted to help. Some people are pretty resistent to advice.

TigerKnee

Arcane
When only a small number of classes are available I'd prefer something a bit more interesting than "existing class with a bit of Fighter thrown in".
This is 3.5E. If "existing class with a bit of Fighter thrown in" (which really isn't what those two classes are like IMO but for the sake of argument let's go with it) then you're probably going to have to cut 3/4 of the martial classes.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Good grief, no offence to Roman Hodek, but those class artworks are terrible. :/

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Love this kind of lecture. The one giving it nearly always implies double standard, aka "your opinion isn't the only one that matters, but mine is". In the end, it's telling that he has no idea (or interest in) what his audience wants. It means his main motivation is most likely personal fame, which is always a shame.

Ah well, creative talent and eccentricity often go hand in hand. KotC really is a gem.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It means his main motivation is most likely personal fame, which is always a shame.
You think that a guy that never advertises his games, doesn't do interviews, hides his updates behind private forums and doesn't sell his game anywhere besides his own website is after FAME?

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It means his main motivation is most likely personal fame, which is always a shame.
You think that a guy that never advertises his games, doesn't do interviews, hides his updates behind private forums and doesn't sell his game anywhere besides his own website is after FAME?
I didn't actually know that, I got KotC from a coworker and barely browsed the website.

I just find it hard to believe there could be a good reason for denying your fans a product that's already finished. The guy wants more people to get his book/second game, but not KotC because... he's decided so. That just screams "ego" to me. Fame was not the word I was looking for :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom