Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, they changed Prone from hard CC to technically just interrupt (no-duration) when redesigned afflictions system for Deadfire.

I miss my berserker with AOE prone/on crit two-handers.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm might need to reroll my chars, I initially went FULL ON PRONE out of habit :P

Daidre

Arcane
It is not such a bad choice - both wizard's Slicken spell and Fighter's Knock Down are decent abilities for the first level. Especially spell, it should prone each round while it is active.

But in general, Obsidian nerfed the hell out of all hard CC spells and abilities. Among the martials only monk have somehow useful stuns left, but everyone got durations severely reduced to 2-4-6 seconds in RTwP that afaik translates into 1 round in TB.

And casters in Deadfire have even more troubles landing CC - spell grazes were completely removed (in POE they exited for 0.5 duration) and with removal/nerf of accuracy buffs across the board casting anything that is not a buff or does not have damage component is often waste of time on PoTD.

In result - Terrify is a best CC now) Especially Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage spell. But wizard needs to hug enemies in melee for it to work.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
What I also found weird is that if i Knock Down some enemy during a round and his turn comes later in the same round... he will stand up and perform his actions. I was expecting the Prone to last at least until the next round..

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
And casters in Deadfire have even more troubles landing CC - spell grazes were completely removed (in POE they exited for 0.5 duration) and with removal/nerf of accuracy buffs across the board casting anything that is not a buff or does not have damage component is often waste of time on PoTD.

I think this was true at some point during Deadfire's development (the backer build?), but was changed back very quickly. Currently spell grazes work the same way as they did in PoE 1. The graze chance was also massively increased in turn based mode to combat those "frustrating misses". At equal Acc/Def you now have 50% hit chance and 50% graze chance.

And if an affliction that lasts 1 round grazes, it will last [0.5 rounded up->] 1 round. A 3 round affliction will last 2 rounds on graze, etc.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
I played it in RTwP not so long ago with chanter and cipher and I do not remember seeing charms, Mental Binding and debuffing Invocation grazing ever. It was always all or nothing.

It could be different in TB through.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would a bleak walker/assassin work on turn-based mode? Sounds like a fun combo, but is it effective? In return, Eder will have to stay pure fighter and tank stuff.

I'm looking to use two handed weapons.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Would a bleak walker/assassin work on turn-based mode? Sounds like a fun combo, but is it effective? In return, Eder will have to stay pure fighter and tank stuff.

I'm looking to use two handed weapons.

There is no reason for it to not work?

Two hand weapons is actually better in TB since the attack speed is the same for everyone.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
What I also found weird is that if i Knock Down some enemy during a round and his turn comes later in the same round... he will stand up and perform his actions. I was expecting the Prone to last at least until the next round..

It just pushes them further down the round order

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So what's the overall consensus on the turn-based mode? Also, are there any difficulty adjustments for it since people now have plenty of time to plan things? Or are all encounters/stats/etc. exactly the same?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
So what's the overall consensus on the turn-based mode? Also, are there any difficulty adjustments for it since people now have plenty of time to plan things? Or are all encounters/stats/etc. exactly the same?
The gameplay experience is much better with tb combat, it's kinda funny how many abilities and stats I missed with RTwP and now I properly payed attention to everything :P
Don't know about the encounters but I would guess there are differences

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The gameplay experience is much better with tb combat, it's kinda funny how many abilities and stats I missed with RTwP and now I properly payed attention to everything :P
You are right, but here is the thing - if you missed them in RTwP mode and still won, does it matter that you noticed them in TB mode?

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
I am about to embark on this shitty adventure in 5.0
What option should one pick for Maximum Interactivity?
I killed everything in POE1 so I guess "Benevolent Soul" is best?
NM79IKt.png

I want to pick Survival of the Fittest and Everything is Bad for Solo experiments.

edit

It feels like the perf of the game got worse from 1.0...

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You are right, but here is the thing - if you missed them in RTwP mode and still won, does it matter that you noticed them in TB mode?
I didn't win to be honest, I stopped playing when I reached Neketaka due to lack of time and waiting for all DLCs to be complete etc
I probably would have though, yeah

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Fug, I picked multiclass and retrain does not switch back... (((

Chance to hit is displayed differently, compared to POE1. Used to be that anything above 50% is a crit chance.
Now it seems to be 75% (counts grazes) and above and of course it stops at 100... Cant tell my crit chance without doing subtractions acc-def.

Still, rogue ass ass in is still fun. Rolling 30 dmg and doing 120 backstab from da shadows. Shooting instantly again because now combat started and game thinks you have a fresh gun. And a third time after switching...

Its fun thinking about how to beat a couple of bats...

Should I make Xoti a priest? They look nerfed into the ground...

Tigranes

Arcane
Still, rogue ass ass in is still fun. Rolling 30 dmg and doing 120 backstab from da shadows.

Please use actual English, and less dots

Priests are OK - I never take Xoti, but I believe there used to be a sweet spot for proc'ing blessed harvest, so even as pure priest she can participate not necessarily to do damage but to engage and proc. I think multiclassing her and then trying to get into melee damage is where a lot of builds go wrong.

Honestly, between monks, thieves, rangers, wizards, barbarians, etc., I've never had much room for exciting priest builds.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I tried making her a priest/monk. Barely usable.
And cipher/barbarian is also a horrible mix.

There. Its possible to make shitty builds in PoE2. Proper balance achieved.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Better to take Vaetnir or hire a Priest/Chanter or Priest/Ranger or such.

Daidre

Arcane
I prefer to make a custom priest of Magran or Eothas and focus on Fire Spells. There is like +4 Fire PL from weapons alone and lvl 8 Simbol spell with them vastly outdamage anything that wizard has at the same level and with user friendly targeting to the boot. Before it Shining Beacon, Pillar of Fire and Storm of Holy Fire are brutal too.

But I kinda think that multiclassed priests are a waste of space beside couple of builds that are all about Salvation of Time cheese.

Pure Monk or Pure Priest are vastly better then Monk/Priest until the lvl 16+.

entr0py

Scholar
I prefer to make a custom priest of Magran or Eothas and focus on Fire Spells. There is like +4 Fire PL from weapons alone and lvl 8 Simbol spell with them vastly outdamage anything that wizard has at the same level and with user friendly targeting to the boot. Before it Shining Beacon, Pillar of Fire and Storm of Holy Fire are brutal too.

But I kinda think that multiclassed priests are a waste of space beside couple of builds that are all about Salvation of Time cheese.

Pure Monk or Pure Priest are vastly better then Monk/Priest until the lvl 16+.

Pure monk is nuts at max level. Pair them with a single class cipher giving +8 penetration and ancient memory and you can kill anything in seconds

Daidre

Arcane
Yeah, pure monk is amazing but Xoti is a horrible monk with her stats and archetype. She is sucks as a priest too with Gaun spells so best thing you can do is to kick dumb bitch out of the party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom