Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

The Real Fanboy
So Aaron Greenberg (the head of Xbox Marketing) was interviewed by Xbox magazine and talked about all the new studios but definitely the coolest thing was about Obsidian and revealing the three teams they have! A team working on The Outer Worlds, a team working on an unknown game (which has to be by Josh) and a team working on....Pillars of Eternity!!!

Um he says stuff about Inxile too but I just included it here instead of just also posting it in the Inxile xbox studio thread:

For me, it’s just been incredibly exciting to go to each of these studios, and to open the door at Ninja Theory, or walk in at Obsidian, and walk around and meet the teams and see what is in the works. Across all the different teams, what I can say is that there’s all kinds of projects that people largely know about, and then there’s typically multiple other things they’re working on that nobody knows about yet. In every case, it’s really diverse, really exciting projects. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much innovation and how many things are being made. I think people are going to see, before too long, just how much content is coming. Those are just from the new studios that we’ve acquired. I think we have a lot to surprise fans with, and a lot to share over the next year.

You can expect more new games. You can expect sequels. You can expect new IP. You can expect things you’ve never thought of. That’s the fun part of it.

Ninja Theory, when we met with them, were like ‘Hey, we had this project in development before you guys acquired us, this multiplayer character shooter-brawler [Bleeding Edge]’. Wow, we didn’t expect that. Tameem Antoniades, who worked on Hellblade, his team is off working on something else and we haven’t talked about that yet. At Obsidian, there’s the team working on The Outer Worlds, a team that’s working on Pillars, and a team working on another secret thing.

And inXile: there’s the Wasteland 3 team, and there’s a team working on another thing. We don’t have just new IP – what we’ve done is taken a collection of some of the greatest creative minds in the industry and given them freedom and the resources to go do what they want to create. And then we really let them do that independently. We support them every way we can, and then we have them come back with those creations when they’re ready and work out the right time to show them.

https://wccftech.com/greenberg-plea...ation-content-is-coming-from-the-new-studios/

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE2 needs an enhanced edition that removes a lot of the jank (ship battles), decreases loading times, improves the challenges, makes a sweeping pass across the classes, and adds 1-2 sizeable dungeons to the base game. But I'm sure we'll get a mobile game or console port instead.

Quillon

Arcane
PoE2 needs an enhanced edition that removes a lot of the jank (ship battles), decreases loading times, improves the challenges, makes a sweeping pass across the classes, and adds 1-2 sizeable dungeons to the base game. But I'm sure we'll get a mobile game or console port instead.

Interesting idea, use that MS moneh and swap ship battles with sid meier's pirates combat. It's not like they haven't gone the extra mile with the game already, go further until it looks like a remake I say, ekera!

Prime Junta

Nah, Feargus wants his Skyrim killer. It's gonna be first/third-person.

Also, think of the bathhouse scene.

Prime Junta

First person would be so amazing! Outer Worlds but with the armour and weapons and magic and just the amazing story and factions from the Pillars of Eternity franchise!

There was a lot of promise in the faction gameplay of Pillars 2, and the cultures could make good story fodder as well. I just hope they'll ditch the over-the-top epic and focus on the faction shenanigans. There have been hints it could be set on the mysterious continent Rekke comes from -- seems it's a monotheistic society, so perhaps we'll see a different take on religion, and just maybe no more Engwithans. That could be interesting.

I have to say I'm not terribly optimistic about Obsidian anymore though. I have tremendous respect for Josh Sawyer as a human being and craftsman, but he doesn't strike me as a creative powerhouse. I don't think Obsidian can keep on retreading past successes indefinitely. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us. I'll be delighted if Outer Worlds turns out to be ... well, something more than a B-grade totally-not-FONV, but with more zany.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't know much about where Rekke comes from but The Living Lands sounds promising if they can live up to its short description. And it is very loosely connected to main factions/countries etc, perfect for a standalone game if they are gonna ditch iso.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Could the POE team be working on bringing POE2 on consoles ? Or is this outsourced ?

Anyways, if it's not and it's an actual sequel : no, I'm betting they stick to this formula. Microsoft bought Obsidian, not Bioware. They clearly expect Obsidian games and a return to classics is clearly the directoin they have advertised. It's not the early 2000s anymore.
A decline is still possible, but I don't think they'll change "how it looks".

Microsoft also bought Inxile who are now producing WL3. They want that kind of games.

Atchodas

Augur

Atchodas

Augur
But casuals are exactly who push all that "kill" shit. Other approaches are too hard for them.

you mean clicking on dialogue option to intimidate bluff or diplomacy is harder than actually dealing with combat encounter ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom