Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, May 13, 2018.

1. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    While I agree we should stand as one behind the first two companies (the ones I know for something good), they are one-game studios so far. Maintaining one's interest in the same game for 5 years until the next oneis released is only possible for a minority of players, even of those frequenting the Codex.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    You don’t have to stand behind anything. He asked me if there are other studios making good cRPGs and I mentioned some names. Some of these games, like Underrail, Age of Decadence and Grimoire are engrossing games that you can only exhaust after months playing, if not years. But you don’t have to agree with my particular tastes to accept that there are enough cRPGs out there to play. This is just common sense.

^ Top  
  3. MajorMace Educated

MajorMace
    Parrots:
    He asked if there were companies who make rpgs that aren't produced on a small budget though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Bocha Novice

Bocha
    Parrots:
    Is it possible to do a rpg as most codex like and sell? That's the real question.
    It would be interesting to be able to estimate the maximum amount to be invested to obtain profits, and the amount of clients that would buy a game like this.

^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm not disputing that. I'm trying to explain, including to myself, why people rotate between mediocre games instead of sticking for a long time with fewer games which offer more to discover, without the need to grind, but because they are full of good content.

^ Top  
  6. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Small budget compared to what? Project Zomboid is being in development for 7 years now. It has multiplayer and bunch of stuff. Disco Elysium is gorgeous looking game. How about Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones? Players need to try different things and see for themselves. There are somany games out there. Let's not forget about the classics either. Players seem to be biased to focus all their attention in a few studios and their recent games.

^ Top  
  7. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:
    Mountain Blade was a made by a Turkish guy and his wife. I repeat, one of the best, if not the best, melee combat with horses, game was made by two people, one of them a woman. In Turkey. This Game has the biggest potential ever in terms of delivering something terrifyingly great; a Conan open-world sandbox in the Hyborian world.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MajorMace Educated

MajorMace
    Parrots:
    Hey, i'm just the messenger. Ask him why big budget makes rpgs relevant, I dunno.

You say that like Turkey is some eastern european mess of a country.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Flou Learned

Flou
    Parrots:
    While I agree that those studios make good/great games (except maybe Grimoire; ), their budgets are small compared to the big boys league. Though Bethesda and BioWare wipe the floor with everyone else in that "league" as well.

I believe we need both kind of studios. Those who make games with smaller teams and smaller budgets and those with 60-150 people working on it that have quality voiceover and graphics that actually sell the game to the masses.
    Feargus/Obsidian should realize that as well. Not every game has to sell millions if they are banking the game themselves. This is something Feargus has mentioned before that publishers aren't interested in making smaller games. Well fuck, make one yourself for a change then that isn't a card game instead of renovating your houses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    True. The smaller studios go for a subset of the buyers of bigger studios' games. Also, hardcore players often start as filthy casuls.

On the other hand, there is only so much decline I can take from mid-budget studios, so there is that.

^ Top  
  11. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    It makes no sense to talk about what is needed in the abstract, as if we had some platonic quota to fill all sizes of game studios. Big studios, smaller studios, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether we can have good cRPGs. I can't expect all bigger studios to be like Piranha Bytes, so for all pratical purposes I have to rely on smaller studios because they are the only ones willing to take the risks necessary to deliver an engrossing cRPG. You see players talking about moding Obsidian cRPGs to make them playable and this is absurd. Players shoudn't be forced to design their own games because developers are incompetent or sellouts.

And ask for a refund and leave a negative review on steam to hurt the game.

Hardcore players will eventually find decent cRPGs. They don't need any help from triple-A games.

What is most insidious about these studios is that under the pretence of revitalizing oldschool games they are making the whole genre worse, more streamlined. They are also forcing the hand of other smaller studios with their absurd investement on graphics and art. They are spoiling and ruining a whole generation of cRPG players and making the lives of decent studios worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    I agree that the mid-budget studios are not doing their job properly, and I am not optimistic for their future either. It does not look like they have the culture and the people to improve. Mid-budget RPG studios need to exist, however. They are what keeps the market for smaller studios going. I don't know what the solution to this problem is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    The mid-budget studios are either wanna be triple-A studios or are conformed to make shallow cRPGs to iPhone games.

Maybe, maybe not. You could make the case that they promote indirect sales via steam, but they also attract the wrong crowd. The medium studios also also get all the attention from the smaller studios. For example, AoD received more attention before the kickstarter wave than afterwards. The market was more transparent. Now you have an ungodly amount of pseudo-isometric games that are shallow and formulaic. It is a disgrace.

^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    And the best thing about these studios: smaller size, lower financial pressure, and no money-grubbing managers.

It's almost like game dev studios from the 80s and 90s, while even mid-size devs like Obsidian are closer to modern game dev culture than to the classic "a bunch of people skilled with computers making a game because they like games".

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Savant

rusty_shackleford
    Parrots:
    not really cRPG but I like the eurojank that Spiders puts out.

^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Mind ==== blown

^ Top  
  17. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is Turkish too.

Conclusion, move Obsidian headquarters to Turkey.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    That was ironic. I thought the 4 equals would give it away. ;)

I've known for some time that M&B is Turkish-made.

^ Top  
  19. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    Still, move Obsidian headquarters to Turkey. That will get Californian hipsters trying harder and teach them value of subtlety.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Parrots:
    So getting back on topic, what are sales like currently?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    They aren't.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    The same as last week. A tad bit over 100,000.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TT1 Savant Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Metacritc now is 88 :M

^ Top  
  24. Flou Learned

Flou
    Parrots:
    To get this thread back on track:

Deadfire is nearing Battletech on the top selling list on GOG. Page 38 with just few games between them.
    Any idea how many copies Battletech has sold on GOG?

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    We never have concrete numbers for GOG. I think it's always something like 10-15% of Steam sales. Just goes to show how people like to get fucked in the ass by DRM and all that jazz.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)