Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Theldaran

Liturgist
Get them all!

Diggfinger

Arcane
I figured the megathread could do without this topic interrupting all the nuanced discussions of the writing, mechanics, and homosexuality.

A week after release and Steamspy is estimating sales are in the 100-200k range. The first one had estimated sales of 200-260k after the same amount of time.

The Sunday after release is pretty much always when you'll see the most players. Deadfire's is 22,723 (reflected at https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ though not recorded at Steam Charts yet). PoE's was 41,787. Shadowrun Returns beats it with 24,242 and even ELEX barely maintains its German supremacy with 22,871. However, it's not a total flop. Obviously it's doing better than Tides of Numenera and Tyranny, but it also beats Wasteland 2's record of 18,576 and Divinity: Original Sin's record of 21,953 and both of those were pretty successful. Howeverrr they didn't significantly inflate their budgets with full voice acting right out of the gate (though both did eventually, with terrible results :)), awesomer graphics (though D:OS is no slouch in this area and Wasteland 2 certainly put in a lot of work to improve them with the director's cut), or use deliberately dumbed-down/streamlined mechanics in a foolish attempt to win over a wider audience. And of course no one is thrilled when a sequel, particularly the first Black Isle/Obsidian sequel not constrained by a slamdunk schedule or budget, doesn't outperform or even match its predecessor.

I suppose Sawyer's now been stripped of his "hitmaker" title, so he won't be getting his turn-based historical RPG. He might have seen the writing on the wall, hence the "I'm burned out and won't be directing projects for a while" and "full voice acting was the owners' idea, I had nothing to do with it" statements from a while back. I imagine Avellone is pleased that the owners are getting burned, though I'm reasonably confident that his week of forum posts probably only cost them dozens/hundreds/possibly thousands of sales, whereas the gap between what they wanted and what they got is in the hundreds of thousands. Now Obsidian's stuck doing what Bioware did after Dragon Age II and what McComb did after Tides of Numenera: say "Yeah, well the CRITICS love it."

Good thread!

What's the latest update on the sales figures for PoEII?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good thread!

What's the latest update on the sales figures for PoEII?
Steamspy estimates are 200,000-500,000, same as Kingmaker. Kingmaker continues to beat Deadfire month-to-month in terms of retaining average/peak players. I think something may have broken at Steamspy because it claims the average/median playtime is Playtime total: 54:01 (average) 95:27 (median)
Half the players spent more than 95 hours on it? Sure, some people replay games, or restart with new characters, but that doesn't sound right. Meanwhile original Pillars is Playtime total: 30:31 (average) 14:13 (median), which looks far more accurate.

For what it's worth, Kingmaker's is Playtime total: 66:21 (average) 90:26 (median) though I can kinda buy that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom