Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Hines, May 9, 2018.

1. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Clearly never visited Sheffield.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    That would work so well if player would be Dred like character in Deus Vault mode cleaning up wastelands for normal humans to move in.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    I'd like to see Pitchford's face when watching that trailer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Razor Educated

Razor
    For me the best things about the Mad Max open world games were the world building and car combat. Specially the world building. For example when you are driving around you may come across a scene like this:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

The moment when you realize that you are standing on a spot that was probably some 50-100m below sea level and the large plain in the background (insta kill zone in gameplay) is most likely what is left of a dried up Pacific Ocean. The game characters and descriptions frequently refer to the great whites etc which clearly reference ocean water salt that is left over and has poisoned the last of the good lands.

Other favourite moments included driving around a sand dune desert and then you spot a weird pyramid in the distance with your scope. Upon closer inspection you discover that the pyramid is a old church tower top and the church (and surrounding buildings) are completely swallowed by the roving dunes.

Car mechanics wise it offers nice driving and upgrade system that primarily compliment combat sections in the form of random encounters and convoy mission where you assault and destroy the convoys. The enemies come in different armour plating setups which require you to dismantle them with a harpoon gun before you can kill em. You also use the car to scout and dismantle the primary defences of outposts like pulling down flamethrower towers and harpooning sniper nests etc. Overall for me it was quite enjoyable.

By far the weakest part of the game are the activities associated with the on foot movement: clearing outposts. First off the level aesthetics at every single outpost are different but they all come down to a linear corridor. The game uses the cookie cutter Batman Arkham Asylum fist fight mechanic where everyone gathers around in a circle Hong Kong movie style as you dispatch them one on one. It has firearms in the form of your sawed off shotgun but ammo is rare, you can carry only a very limited amount and more often then not you use it as a insta kill just to get rid of the most annoying enemy types in the mob (blockers etc). Like the Batman games the enemies come in different types and tiers but by far the worst offenders are the outpost mini bosses: its literally the same Tijuana wrestler but in different colors! :prosper:

Clearly the outpost combat got the least funding and/or time allocated as seen with the mini bosses and the vehicle/world building probably got the most attention.

TL;DR: a) atmosphere wise the mad max game IMO captures really well the dead/dying Earth feel: both the landscape and general vibe given off from the survivors reflect that (psychosis, longing for the seas to return etc, living off the corpse of the old world etc)

b) Vehicles are the second best part of the game with a upgrade tree and nice meaty car/outpost combat.

c) worst part of it are the outposts themselves. My advice: look up where you can get what upgrade part and only do the stuff that you want to upgrade. Doing them all (like I did) really demonstrates the copy-paste nature of them. Not in level aesthetics (has a variation) but in level structure, aka linear corridors and that fucking Mexican wrestler and his twin brothers.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  6. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    The game actually looks decent. It's just mind boggling how bad the advertising campaign has been.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Temenos Literate

Temenos
    Hmm, I disagree with the first sentence but agree with the second. I dunno which reaction button to pick!

Balanced it is.

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    SO hyped for this Care-Bear coloured sequel to a dull as fuck shooter, that I might delay organizing my stamp collection to play it in 2067

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    The only reason I'm excited for this game, which I won't play because the gameplay will be boring garbage, is the gfx engine. It will be using the engine used in theHunter Call of the Wild, which is the best looking first-person game ever made.

^ Top  
  10. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    I played the original Rage again last week and I was quickly reminded why I could never bother with finishing the game.
    The gameplay is pretty generic so it is never going to win an award for that so it definitely depends on its setting, in that regard it looks pretty promising until you discover how limited they are and your freedom is to move through them.
    A small fence you could easily jump over? Invisible wall. In an interesting building or structure you would like to have a closer look at? It is just there for background. (I do know that the DLC opened up some places). Places like that Dead City? Despite looking big it is actually a pretty small place.
    This game's world design suffers every issue that games designed to run on both PC and older generation consoles suffer from and I don't see that changing in the future.

Storyline? survivors in the wasteland are being threatened by raiders and mutants while being oppressed by the evil Authority who is secretly conducting experiments (I think to make humans more controllable but I am not sure, it was just mentioned somewhere and never brought up) while a small resistance group seeks to oppose them and restore freedom. * yawn *.

As I mentioned before if Bethesda had claimed that the previous game or this game was Fallout 3 and 4 I would have believed them.

Rage 2 is not going to make an impact on the market and I wonder why Bethesda and Id bothered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. PulsatingBrain Arcane Patron

PulsatingBrain
    I'll say this about Rage 1. The Rebar gun from the scorchers DLC is one of the best guns in any game I've played. I'd have a hard time picking between the Rebar gun and the Penetrator from F.E.A.R.

The nail gun from Scorchers was pretty fucking cool too

^ Top  
  12. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. adddeed Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Looks pretty cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Looks like borderlands

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    ^ Top  
  17. vortex Arbiter

vortex
    So pumped for this.

• WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Loostreaks Educated

Loostreaks
    Even with best FPS, some guns are a lot better than others. Can't single out one here: they ALL sound phenomenal.
    Looks like some good brainless fun otherwise. Funny thing is, even this pink themepark seems more coherent/better crafted than BW's Anthem.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Clearly incline game,you get to kill SJW retards! They even got faggot badges.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. tritosine2k Scholar

tritosine2k

...If Rage2 is part of Todd's plan to make fallout3 look good before an official remaster, then it's working.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Is Prey 2 doing the nuDoom health pinata thing too?

^ Top  
  22. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Can see a lot of their previous Mad Max game under all that new makeup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. soulburner Savant

soulburner
    This looks surprisingly good, however I can't help but feel it looks and plays a lot like a mix of Borderlands and Bulletstorm. I don't know if it's the postapocalyptic setting that makes me feel that way or there's something more to it. Anyway, I'm interested. I loved the first Rage and I wonder if the sequel, developed by another studio than id, is going to feel like an actual sequel, or is it gonna be something similar to Prey vs Prey ;)

^ Top  
  24. toro Arcane

toro
    Andromeda called: wants its facial animations back.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat

• decline decline x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)