Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I've seen a lot of topics about this on the net...

Hunting Legendary Animals and getting the "There is too much activity" message so you can't track it.

I've read a bunch of solutions, leave the area go far away and come back, setup a camp outside the area and sleep and come back. Go back to camp and sleep a few days and come back. Save/Reload until the message stops, etc..

Here's my 5 minute solution.

PRO Tip:
When you get the message "Entering Legendary Animal Territory", add a marker to the N,S,E,W of the white smokey area on the map.

Now what makes perfect sense since there is "too much activity"...START KILLING SHIT IN THE AREA YOU JUST MARKED OUT. Just kill everything you see.

Keep running around killing shit, after killing tons of shit and running around in my marked area, I got the "Entering Legendary Animal Territory" message again, but this time NO too much activity message.

I was then able to find the first clue and track and kill the beast.

With the benefit of loading up my horse with pelts.

I think I killed 7 legendary animals so far, with 3 giving me the "too much activity message" when I entered the area. Marking the area and running around and killing shit worked every time.

Marking is not necessary, I just find it easier for myself to stay inside the boundary as I start my animal killing spree.

Zep--

Ezekiel

Arcane
One of my coworkers, a younger guy, was talking about video game development with a non-gamer, how long it can take and stuff like that. Then he brought up RDR2, mentioned the graphics, realism and how your horse's balls shrink when you go up into the cold mountains. This lady just old enough to be a grandmother, not part of the conversation, found that stupid and said they should spend that effort and time on more important things. She said that she doesn't pay attention to a horse's testicles. I interjected, agreeing with her and saying they should have spent that time trying to make the game fun. The guy then claimed it's a lot of fun. Then I said, "No, it isn't. The controls suck, the aiming (Free Aim) is bad..." I wish I had elaborated a bit, but it wasn't my conversation. He then tried to explain to her how important immersion can be. This older lady, who probably doesn't even play games, understands games better than most young gamers. Or, she understands what's important. It's not horse testicles. This guy could have picked anything else to talk about. Makes you realize why most games are so boring now.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
One of my coworkers, a younger guy, was talking about video game development with a non-gamer, how long it can take and stuff like that. Then he brought up RDR2, mentioned the graphics, realism and how your horse's balls shrink when you go up into the cold mountains. This lady just old enough to be a grandmother, not part of the conversation, found that stupid and said they should spend that effort and time on more important things. She said that she doesn't pay attention to a horse's testicles. I interjected, agreeing with her and saying they should have spent that time trying to make the game fun. The guy then claimed it's a lot of fun. Then I said, "No, it isn't. The controls suck, the aiming (Free Aim) is bad..." I wish I had elaborated a bit, but it wasn't my conversation. He then tried to explain to her how important immersion can be. This older lady, who probably doesn't even play games, understands games better than most young gamers. Or, she understands what's important. It's not horse testicles. This guy could have picked anything else to talk about. Makes you realize why most games are so boring now.

23623.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
I agree. This is why Deus Ex, VtMB, Arcanum, Alpha Protocol, KotOR2 and Planescape Torment are all shit games.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I agree. This is why Deus Ex, VtMB, Arcanum, Alpha Protocol, KotOR2 and Planescape Torment are all shit games.
Immersion is nice. Problem is that a lot of devs now have screwed up priorities. I liked a lot of the little details in RDR2, but ended up selling it after only about three hours because the controls are poor.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I never used the fast travel options, coach, train rides or cinematic riding. Why? because the game world was so beautiful to ride through.

The world itself is a gameplay feature that in the case of RDR2 brings a big plus to the table, i loved discovering new random events on the road, new cabins with environmental stories that you wondered how those people died.

RDR2 was a whole lot of fun to play through, it has its flaws of course but on the whole its a better experience than critics make it out to be.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
When I first started, I made it all the way to chapter 6, realized I rushed through the story and never really saw or experienced "the world". Never caught a Legendary animal or fish, never followed a treasure map, never did a home robbery, never played the mini games.

So, I restarted. Made a save after the snowy stuff at the first real camp you get to.

I played around trying to learn the mechanics of the game. I think I restarted that horseshoe save about 9 or 10 times.

I think I am about 20 or 30 hours now on the current play through from the save. I'm not racing around, I walk most everywhere with 2 horses tagging along in case I snag some perfect big belts.

Only time I really ride is if I'm full up on valuables and/or pelts and hit the trapper, Bill or the fence.

Zep--

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've playing this for a while and I'm truly enjoying it thanks to the narrative, the atmosphere and the details. But there's something off with howl the game plays, and I think I found the responsible for this:

The game has a ridiculously high input lag.

This shit is unacceptable and Rockstar must fix it as soon as posible. I remember that something similar happened with the Witcher 3 at launch. And the slavs with vodka fixed it with a patch, adding a new control with more polished animations and much less input lag.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been like that since GTA 4, so I doubt it. Something with the engine make everything sluggish and "realistic". Think it's a design choice. Playing Hitman 2 currently and the controls are like night and day(PC with 360 controller).

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Yeah that's been discussed around here before, modern tech has some input lag but most of the problem is in animations sacrificing gameplay for "realism"

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Anyone want to join my Kodex Kool Klub gang when the online multiplayer hits? Dress code is all white with an executioner hood. The prime mission will be to ride around on horses and hunt down minorities and women to lynch/drag behind our horses. That's it.

The media will have a fit. We might actually make it on CNN/BBC.

PS4? I'm down.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does he also sit down at the cinema and expect reactivity to his desires how the script should go? Or did he fall from the moon, and expects RDR2 to be more than an interactive movie.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not entirely true, the thing is that RDR2 doesn't possess a gravity to guide your actions. In a sense, you're mostly just floating around aimlessly hoping something will happen. And that's a lot of floating, since you spend a huge amount of time moving between places.

Since I now have a perfect grading curve for open world games (which is % comparison to Yakuza average, where 100% is equal to average Yakuza entry; for the record RDR/RDR2 fares probably the best out of open world games in this respect, scoring around 40% Yakuza so far, even without the advantage in being pretty much the only Wild West thing of their kind), it's best explained that there's no gripping feedback loop between activities or a constant sense of immediate goals in a gameworld that you are genuinely made intimately familiar with. A part of this problem I figure is that the character progression systems are so fiercely segregated, you essentially have to hunt specific random occurances to be able to level up your attributes, even cash is kind of a fourth category (though in case of cash you also don't really have to care after the early game, once you get all the gunshop accessories it's all basically a matter of whimsy like waiting to get the biggest revolver available so you can make it provide no tactical advantage). There's no strong sense of flow between all that you do and progression, in significant part because of how much you deal with random chance to have any sort of "loop". To again compare to Yakuza, the last two games had FIVE different categories of XP, but all of them flowed into each other and were fed primarily by a simple but engaging gameplay loop (do stuff/kick ass->eat/drink->repeat) that you had a great degree of control over.

It's no so much that RDR2 isn't an "interactive movie," but rather that it's a game where your primary contribution is to wait for the game to throw you something to do. The player is almost entirely a reactive agent.

Yeah that's been discussed around here before, modern tech has some input lag but most of the problem is in animations sacrificing gameplay for "realism"
Which in case of Rockstar's games is a deliberate attribute since as mentioned above GTA4. It's a downright obsession they have with having as much superfluous bullshit as possible (horse balls are just the crystallization of this obsession).

Rockstar seems to work on the assumption that more complex and inconvenient => better. It's hard to say so, for example the hunting system I think was better in RDR1 because it was simpler and more convenient, it didn't bs about with having to use different weapons to hit precise lethal spots of specific quality animals. RDR2 adds at least one step too many (animals having different quality being just bullshit made to waste your time).

I suppose the whole realism obsession is also the explanation why Rockstar's combat has never moved beyond San Andreas and still handles like a drunken elephant, since having active and fun combat systems would be unrealistic, so you mostly just stand as far as you can and hopefully half behind some outhouse or something and rely on firepower/health disparity to win you the day. Or worse, something tremendously tedious like the fistfight mechanics.

PS: RDR2 would instantly be cooler if the player character was a Lakota.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Horse balls shrinking vs horse armor: Which is more retarded and why? DISCUSS!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Horse balls, since they weren't savvy enough to charge money from suckas for it.

EDIT: Besides, can you imagine how hilarious it would be that a Microsoft or Sony e-store would have a DLC titled "Horse Balls _____" in it?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
but rather that it's a game where your primary contribution is to wait for the game to throw you something to do. The player is almost entirely a reactive agent.
Well, that's what I mean under "interactive movie". Ofc you have to keep your hands on the controller to direct the action from time to time.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The game has a ridiculously high input lag.

This shit is unacceptable and Rockstar must fix it as soon as posible. I remember that something similar happened with the Witcher 3 at launch. And the slavs with vodka fixed it with a patch, adding a new control with more polished animations and much less input lag.

I always had the same problem with GTA V (PC) the character moves like in molasses, often keys don't register at all.

I just got used to it but think it is engine related. The keyboard input is relegated to a low priority task so the city can run smoother.

It also cannot multitask like for example Elite Dangerous can, where the keyboard loops works in almost any mode (except hyperspace jumps).

In GTAV, open the fucking character menu and half the keys don't work, half others work at 1/10 the sampling rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom