Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I agree, NEST is my fav location after police station. I also wish RE2 remake had fixed camera angles, it would've made a great game:

Unfortunately, a complete mod like that is highly unlikely. It would be a huge undertaking that would require lightning changes, music adjustments, enemy placement and balance etc.

On the other hand, 3rd person camera is not all bad. It also leads to some really intense moments and encounters.

Not acceshable enuf for the mainstream crowd.

"Stop living in the past, games have evolved since then"

:negative:

The problem isn't that it's not accessible to casual audiences, but the fact dealing with the new AI and game rules wouldn't in any way doable with the old camera.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
Resident Evil 2 was already to casual Since the first 1 was way more difficult. I think is the main problem is that Fixed camera angles are perceived as antiquated.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just bought the game. I was shooting some zombie in the police station and one randomly comes up from behind me and bites me. The 3rd person perspective is superior. Already regretted emptying a clip on the first zombie in the tutorial. I've been playing this since Director's Cut all through Code Veronica and Outbreak. The 3rd person camera is far more intense.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
aliens.png
"It was technical limitations"
facepalm.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if it was or not. I will point out that technique was used a lot then and is practically never used now, but there were (shitty looking) full 3D games on PS1 so who knows. My point is more that it sucks and plays objectively worse than other methods, and that other methods can be just as (if not more) scary, so anyone wanting that to return just has a hard on for the past. Which is fine, this forum has a ton of people on it stuck in the past for certain genres, myself included.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is no "objectively worse" when you're talking about art and mood, and it's idiotic to diminish anyone's taste for appreciating a style created before this morning. It's fine if you don't enjoy static camera games - just stop fooling yourself that your distaste for them is somehow "right" and anyone who likes them is "wrong".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is no "objectively worse" when you're talking about art and mood, and it's idiotic to diminish anyone's taste for appreciating a style created before this morning. It's fine if you don't enjoy static camera games - just stop fooling yourself that your distaste for them is somehow "right" and anyone who likes them is "wrong".

I said "plays objectively worse," and I stand by that. It's objectively worse to not have to really aim to hit things. It's objectively worse to not be able to look around your surroundings. It's objectively worse to be blocked from seeing certain things because of the angle. It's objectively worse to move in relation to a camera position instead of consistency. Now... you can subjectively think these things are worth it for "art and mood," sure. But I can subjectively think you're blinded by nostalgia.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's objectively worse to not have to really aim to hit things. It's objectively worse to not be able to look around your surroundings. It's objectively worse to be blocked from seeing certain things because of the angle. It's objectively worse to move in relation to a camera position instead of consistency.
The thing is that I don't think these are objective. Because the gameplay is designed around these, so the fixed camera angles don't hurt the gameplay. You don't have to look around, and look behind things because everything you need can be seen from these camera angles. Moving becomes second nature after 30 minutes, and since the game is not a shooter, you don't really have to aim preciselly. Just aim in the direction of the enemy and shoot.

JDR13

Arcane
I said "plays objectively worse," and I stand by that. It's objectively worse to not have to really aim to hit things. It's objectively worse to not be able to look around your surroundings. It's objectively worse to be blocked from seeing certain things because of the angle. It's objectively worse to move in relation to a camera position instead of consistency. Now... you can subjectively think these things are worth it for "art and mood," sure. But I can subjectively think you're blinded by nostalgia.

Some of the things you're saying are objectively bullshit. :)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The thing is that I don't think these are objective. Because the gameplay is designed around these, so the fixed camera angles don't hurt the gameplay. You don't have to look around, and look behind things because everything you need can be seen from these camera angles. Moving becomes second nature after 30 minutes, and since the game is not a shooter, you don't really have to aim preciselly. Just aim in the direction of the enemy and shoot.

I mean obviously they're not objective for reals, I'm being argumentative. Someone out there prefers to have his balls punched rather that sucked on, too. The point is I think they're so obviously worse (especially on PC) that preferring them is nostalgia. I don't expect a bunch of Resident Evil fans to agree though, so it's a old young man yells at cloud thing I guess. Like telling people in the Steam vs. Epic thread that they both suck, or going to a retirement home and preaching for interracial marriage.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Both third person camera and fixed camera are incline. Resident evil 3.5 knew it. Sadly, a mix of both has never been released.

Fuck, I'm actually lying. The Ashley section of the japanese version of Resident evil 4 has fixed cameras.

Zombra

Patron
I think they're so obviously worse (especially on PC) that preferring them is nostalgia.
You're confusing nostalgia with appreciation of a style, and you're arguing from a "gameplay > all" perspective. (I sure hope you never played most of the Codex top 50!) I like smooth gameplay too, but it is not the only thing that makes a good game, and sacrificing smoothness can actually enhance a game if you also care about other things.

The primary point you aren't taking into account is that Resident Evil is (or at least originally was) a horror series. A major element of all good horror gaming is denying the player some control, putting them on edge, making them struggle, not just against enemies with lots of hit points and cutting edge AI, but sometimes against the metagame environment itself. And yes, sometimes this means giving the player controls that invite mistakes and frustration. And yes, sometimes this means using a camera angle that shows what the artist wants to show, not what the audience wants to see (or think they want to see). When a design makes everything as simple as pointing a finger, it discards the core of tension that makes horror horror. Worse, the challenges that remain become nothing but get gud twitch challenges. Get gud twitch challenges are fun but they are not the alpha and the omega. I liked RE5 but it wasn't a horror game.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
How are tank controls not consistent? Pressing up always moves your character forward from their perspective regardless of the camera placement. While one could argue that it was made that way due to “technological limitations” that doesn’t mean it wasn’t effective and functional for its purpose nor that it can’t be a stylistic choice for modern games. It worked back then and it still works now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The primary point you aren't taking into account is that Resident Evil is (or at least originally was) a horror series. A major element of all good horror gaming is denying the player some control, putting them on edge, making them struggle, not just against enemies with lots of hit points and cutting edge AI, but sometimes against the metagame environment itself. And yes, sometimes this means giving the player controls that invite mistakes and frustration. And yes, sometimes this means using a camera angle that shows what the artist wants to show, not what the audience wants to see (or think they want to see). When a design makes everything as simple as pointing a finger, it discards the core of tension that makes horror horror. Worse, the challenges that remain become nothing but get gud twitch challenges. Get gud twitch challenges are fun but they are not the alpha and the omega. I liked RE5 but it wasn't a horror game.

Yes but as I've already said, Alien Isolation scared me way more than any Resident Evil game ever did, and it doesn't control like shit or restrict my view/aiming. I just flat-out reject the idea that the early RE games' control and viewpoint have anything to do with being more "horror." RE5 not being a horror game was by design and had nothing to do with it not controlling like ass.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They modified those controls to be better for fags to stop complaining about it with the HD Remake. It's just the new generation. Or the old generation that skipped the early PlayStation era. Either way they suck. The camera angles were never a huge issue for people back then. I only find modernfags whining about it. People didn't whine about Crash Bandicoot running towards the camera back then either. They thought it was cool. Problem is nobody bought Remake 1 apparently. They made the best Resident Evil game and nobody bought it because of comments like the ones above.

All games should play like Gears of War from now on. Except for Gears of War which is now getting a new Xcom spinoff. Next Gears of War will be all Xcom with no third person shooter and youngfags will say man this is the way the series was from the start yall. Check out my 95% to hit with this Ripper thing. Awesome. There was never a series like this before.

Zombra

Patron
Yes but as I've already said, Alien Isolation scared me way more than any Resident Evil game ever did, and it doesn't control like shit or restrict my view/aiming. I just flat-out reject the idea that the early RE games' control and viewpoint have anything to do with being more "horror." RE5 not being a horror game was by design and had nothing to do with it not controlling like ass.
No one said that third person camera was a requirement for all horror games. Hell, even Resident Evil 7 was first person and it also delivers an amazing horror experience. But it's a different kind of game. Whether you recognize it or not, there is a definite value to the aesthetics of limiting player control, using weird cameras, etc. You're not required to like it or even appreciate that value, but to deny its existence, or write it off as mere nostalgia, is foolish.

The camera angles were never a huge issue for people back then.
Full disclosure, I definitely had problems with the camera angles in the first couple RE games ... occasionally. Sometimes a zombie would bite me that I couldn't even see before, not as a planned jump scare, but just because the level design and enemy placement was kind of crap in places. But that doesn't make static cameras automatically horrible, any more than a first person shooter badly optimized means first person games are all automatically horrible. It just means it wasn't done perfectly.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No one said that third person camera was a requirement for all horror games. Hell, even Resident Evil 7 was first person and it also delivers an amazing horror experience. But it's a different kind of game. Whether you recognize it or not, there is a definite value to the aesthetics of limiting player control, using weird cameras, etc. You're not required to like it or even appreciate that value, but to deny its existence, or write it off as mere nostalgia, is foolish.

So your argument was it helps the horror, now your argument is it doesn't but just offers a unique style? Which is it?

Yes it offers a unique style, but it's a style I think sucks ass. It's also a style most people must think sucks ass, because it's barely ever used anymore and every franchise that used it (RE, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy) dropped it like a rotten fruitpie. I get that you like it, and my theory is the nostalgia dog's got your balls. Even if you genuinely think it adds good gameplay though I'm hardly a weirdo for thinking it's best left in the past.

Zombra

Patron
So your argument was it helps the horror, now your argument is it doesn't but just offers a unique style? Which is it?
It absolutely does help the horror, and it does so with a distinct visual style that some of us appreciate. That's clear enough, isn't it?

Yes it offers a unique style, but it's a style I think sucks ass. It's also a style most people must think sucks ass, because it's barely ever used anymore and every franchise that used it (RE, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy) dropped it like a rotten fruitpie. I get that you like it, and my theory is the nostalgia dog's got your balls. Even if you genuinely think it adds good gameplay though I'm hardly a weirdo for thinking it's best left in the past.
Your theory is wrong.

If you think that not being the Britney Spears popular bitch of gaming is proof that a game isn't prestigious, you're wrong about that too.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Isometric RPG's are barely made so they are bad.

Swigen

Arbiter
To each their own, but I think tank controls suck complete balls and I never really thought much of the early Resident Evil’s fixed camera angles. They never stood out to me the way the first Silent Hill’s camera work did.

From 1:30 on, where Harry is walking through the alley is :obviously:. I’ll always remember it and to this day it makes my balls shrink.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's your standard fanbase split. They all go through them. I'm sure you have hardcore Resident Evil Survivor fans that think Dead Aim is a bastardization of all the series could have been.

CAPCOM - after poor Remake sales on a kids console...

Lets make the camera behind the back where you can see everything. Fixed camera angles are so intrusive to retard level players that keep bumping into walls over and over.

Those pre rendered backgrounds will need to go but no big deal.

No reading shit either. If you click on objects I want nothing to show up. I don't want to see what these characters think about the world around them. I want them to spout out canned phrases non stop.

Change all of these notes. They need more jokes in them. Go ahead and put all the solutions in the notes so you don't need to think at all. None of these morons even beat the game.

I'm not immersed enough here people. These third person games are everywhere now. We can't go back to what made us great so...I hear FPS games are popular.

SOME TIME LATER

Nobody is playing our games. Pachinko?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom