Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

I think you already put too much into it. Like I said, I get Unarmed up to 5 total, and one point of it comes from Nines' lecture. You start getting decent firearms since second act so at that point you only really need it for feeding on aware enemies. And maybe that Gargoyle quest, if you can't or won't do the peaceful solution. But it's ok not to sperg about this as much as me, this is just my most replayed game.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I think you already put too much into it. Like I said, I get Unarmed up to 5 total, and one point of it comes from Nines' lecture. You start getting decent firearms since second act so at that point you only really need it for feeding on aware enemies. And maybe that Gargoyle quest, if you can't or won't do the peaceful solution.

Nah. The early-game melee combat is so painfully unpleasant that I'm not regretting it at all. Total investment was 3 XP into Brawl and those three pips in Strength. It was worth it if only to make the Blood Guardian, Brother Kanker, and Bishop fights less painful. I've currently got 23 unused XP waiting to be put somewhere so I'm good.

Prime Junta

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Let me just leave this.. in how many games do you still remember a random black street merchant 10 years later.. they made so many characters memorable in this game!

Hell yeah! What about Mercurio? What about Beckett? Nines and his gang (I always went full Anarch), the Kuei-Jin... Man, I'm reinstalling this bitch right now.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread is making me want to reinstall too, even though I have plenty of shit to play as it is.
gruhH49.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Even the rich guy who wandered in the wrong neighborhood was memorable. I always found it very funny that you could intimidate him and get his wallet :lol:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Right, the watch too. :lol: When some random NPC, you only talk to for half a minute is memorable, you know you have something special.

Even the various email on the PCs were great, apart from being very funny they also realistically added to the plot. I can't really remember many other games doing this so successfully. In other games you usually find completely unrealistic and cringeworthy "diary" entries, or shitty internet meme jokes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always enjoyed the fact you could blackmail that doctor in the clinic. You had to hack his email first of course, but still.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Guys, it's a video game.
Well yeah, but some games make your rapid rise to power part of the plot. Knights of the Old Republic 2 is one example which provides explanations for forming a party that have almost nothing in common, having such a profound influence on their development, and obtaining unimaginable abilities in a very short time. It’s not inconceivable that Trokia could've taken a less direct approach and sprinkled in some hints on a subject that is mildly interesting but not important to the events of Bloodlines.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, I love this game, with it's weird charm. One of few games about vampires that did it right.

Best moment in game? I have two. First is beach, at start of game when you literally hear plot and what to do at the end (and forget it later, as almost every player) to don't end as dead vamp.

And malkavian talk while you ride with Caine in cab (both cutscene and during dialogue triggering moving to other areas.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Speaking of memorable characters, don't forget about Pisha. Scholar, philosopher and a flesh eating monster all in one, terrific job by the voice actress too (that soothing voice is such a nice contrast to the grim environment she resides in).

Hell yeah! What about Mercurio? What about Beckett? Nines and his gang (I always went full Anarch), the Kuei-Jin... Man, I'm reinstalling this bitch right now.

Nines is a bro but he's a bit basic as a character, my favourite Anarch is Skelter. Forget about pompous sceptics like Beckett, Skelter knows the score, he's the player's window into how the setting truly operates.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I have a crush on Damsel. <3

Oh yes, I nearly fell off a chair laughing when I first heard her describe Strauss as a magic missile casting motherfucker.

Brian Mitsoda did a terrific job with all the characters, IIRC he wrote every one of them except Jack and Strauss.

Prime Junta

Oh yes, I nearly fell off a chair laughing when I first heard her describe Strauss as a magic missile casting motherfucker.

Brian Mitsoda did a terrific job with all the characters, IIRC he wrote every one of them except Jack and Strauss.
Which are the best characters. :M

:eyeroll:

If more cRPG's had characters half as good as the weakest ones in Bloodlines, the Decline wouldn't have happened.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, but that is from some supplement for PnP. How connected is that with the game itself? Maybe authors of that supplement have no clue about the behind the story of the Bloodlines story.

The book was published 10 years before the computer game. The setting in VtM: Bloodlines is from the book.
Hmm, I guess my theory does not hold water :D
Maybe Jack found some Elder to sire you?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

If more cRPG's had characters half as good as the weakest ones in Bloodlines, the Decline wouldn't have happened.
If more CRPGs had as good voice acting and source material they could afford to have characters that are walking stereotypes with some really thin writing still considered good and memorable. :M

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Even the rich guy who wandered in the wrong neighborhood was memorable. I always found it very funny that you could intimidate him and get his wallet :lol:

Wasn't he the guy that turned out to be an evil Vampire in the library section, added in the unofficial patch? I remember that he looked exactly the same and had this badass, deep voice. Not to mention that fight was kinda challenging.

Prime Junta

If more CRPGs had as good voice acting and source material they could afford to have characters that are walking stereotypes with some really thin writing still considered good and memorable. :M

:retarded:

Prime Junta

Ok, but that is from some supplement for PnP. How connected is that with the game itself? Maybe authors of that supplement have no clue about the behind the story of the Bloodlines story.

The book was published 10 years before the computer game. The setting in VtM: Bloodlines is from the book.
Hmm, I guess my theory does not hold water :D
Maybe Jack found some Elder to sire you?

Sounds implausible. Jack is a crafty bastard, but crafty enough to manipulate an Elder that way? Unlikely. Far more likely that both Jack and PC are puppeted by some methuselah behind the scenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom