Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 21, 2015.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    I found 2 or 3 additional armors with second chance incl. a robe.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    But it will still have tits, which puts it above PoE

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

^ Top  
  4. Black Arcane

Black
    Hopefully Obsidian will deliver a mighty slam dunk rpg once they're free from the tyranny of evil publi-
    Oh.

• Brofist Brofist x 30
    ^ Top  
  5. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Many items are underwhelming, which is true for pretty much every RPG including BG2, but there are some genuinely unique ones that have bonuses that affect their use in significant ways.

Just checked my save game file to make sure that they aren't in fact craftable but I have two shields that have very useful effects that are so far unique in my playthrough. A shield that has the bash effect (effectively making the shield similar to dual wielded weapon on top of the shield bonus) and a shield that has the retaliation effect (which is some sort of counterattack when hit by a melee attack). I have also encountered rings that give extra spells per rest for caster types; weapons, armor, and trinkets that grant different usable abilities per rest. Those are just the examples I can quickly think of off the top of my head but I have encountered more than just that.

Itemization isn't the best I've ever seen in a game but it has plenty of unique items that are more than just variations of more fire damage or higher accuracy. When I was first playing I didn't pay much attention and thought that pretty much all effects on found magic items were craftable. As a result, I wasn't paying all that much attention and just selling every magic item I wasn't equipping on a character right away but I regretted it once I actually looked at the crafting system and realized many of the effects I was seeing on items I was selling weren't craftable. I sold quite a few magic items that I wish I had held onto because I could have upgraded them to make them better to take advantage the unique effect they had.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. naossano Cipher

naossano
    He mentions qualities in the complete reviews.
    Your quotes are unfaithfull...

^ Top  
  7. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    + am happy seeing younger people giving this genre (because Witchers and Skyrims are 'shooters' to me, not RPGs) a proper try thanks to titles such as PoE. And thankfully, not just PoE. Cultivating a younger audience is not only generally good (quality), but also beneficial to us old(er) farts. And thankful for PoE in specific because for some, this was their first brush with a non full 3D game. Major point this. This alone makes everything else..well..a matter of personal preference, and as such one i can put aside.
    + was a treat running it for the first time and seeing that glorious 2d superimposed. Brought back a nostalgia that kept me playing it for quite some time. With a smile.

- That did eventually fade away..entirely.
    - That does make me worry about VD praising it. I cannot reconcile AoD story and plot pacing (forget combat for just a second) with that of PoE's. In light of next Thursday that is; plenty of expectations there. A worrying statement from his part.

I do not think huegweilder's being harsh. Accurate, analytic, with a proper 'historical' background (necessary to have a point of reference) set and made clear, sure. And with plenty of good points. Now if to some he appears as having an agenda for criticising it so, well.. at least he provides some solid arguments behind his calls. All we can ask i think :)
    If i had to disagree on something, i guess that would be his failing to [re]view this product as i think they viewed it (Obsidian). A bridger between generations. No more. I cannot know about you, but this is what i was expecting, this is what appears to have eventually been made, no shock there. And as a "bridger", it performs wonderfully. Again just my opinion. If it is me that's being wrong, and they actually had the lack of insight required to consider it ..more.. than just that? Pity. For them and for us.

edit: cannot brofist you yet, sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    ^ Top  
  8. Well done towarzyszu Roxor. You have completed your mission. Now go to base for reward.

[​IMG]

POLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  9. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I disagree with a lot of this review, but one part I really couldn't disagree more on is the quality of the setting. It actually is very good and interesting, and consequently the fact that it (i.e. cultural values and recent history) informs the quest design and NPC's perspectives on things is one reason the game's universe is so compelling.

But hey, it wouldn't be the Codex without hate!

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Solid review that explains in detail what is wrong with PoE. Overall, I still enjoy the game but I agree with most of what Roxor criticizes, because it's just the fucking truth. Dozens of trash mobs and you don't even get combat XP, items never do anyhing exciting, setting is "we don't want to be Forgotten Realms but actually we're just Forgotten Realms, yeah sorry we tried". It's good for what it is, but not much better than that. Div: OS and Wasteland 2 were better at delivering their promises.

• Brofist Brofist x 26
    ^ Top  
  11. naossano Cipher

naossano
    I don't get all this hate agains't loading screen.
    It isn't the first game nor the last to feature loading screens.
    And this one has some texts to read in the meantime.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    If you don't have an SSD, by the end of the game loading screens even permit you to cook dinner and take a dump!

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  13. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No seriously, that's complete BS.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    It wouldn't be the CODEX without being XTREME. In this case :hate: and :cocksucking:

It's actually good that PoE will get 2 reviews because the truth is in the middle. VD's 10/10 best game since W2 evar review, will set things straight.

Roxor should also do W2 too, so we can tone down from VD's unbelievably praising review.

^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    K, so it's Forgotten Realms with a twist.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    PoE has been made possible by 77k disappointed Bioware fans

• Brofist Brofist x 33
    ^ Top  
  17. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    ghostdog
    i don't see anything extreme. This is an insanely talented group, with millions to their call, zero publishers/oppressing businessmen on their back and almost two decades of experience. In light of that, well, i am not sure how else we are supposed to view this one title.. but i guess to each their own countryman :)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. FUDU Arcane

FUDU
    I see Darth Roxor has decided to raise the level of the codexes Torr gauge significantly. Good job. Mission accomplished.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gangrelrumbler Arcane

Gangrelrumbler
    This is what I dislike the most about PoE. Obisidan had their own shot at making their very own fantasy world and system. They could do anything and they wrote a campaign that can be without much problems just straight ported to DnD. All monsters are already there in the DnD's bestiary, all classes are already there (just change cipher to psyker) etc. Obsidian turned out to be less original than people like Wizardry devs, Van Coneghem and Gariott back in the day and all they wanted to make was their own DnD adventure. My biggest disappointment was that Obsidian didn't bother to make their own shitmobs. It's a bit of a tradition that when trying to make your own original fantasy creators should at least include different shitmobs. Alicesoft has Hannys, Final Fantasy has Cacti (and their goblins don't really look like dnd goblins), Gothic had scavengers, Diablo 2 had fallen, Morrowind had Mudcraps and Cliff Racers etc. Obsidian just blatantly stole Kobolds along with their dragon connection and called them Xaurips. Only time they decided to change things a little was when they were copping copyrighted monsters like the Ilithid. The bestiary is so uninspired I'd willingly exchange it for Serious Sam bestiary, which is a shame because one is an RPG and the other is one of the most mindless First Person Shooters.

• Brofist Brofist x 26
    ^ Top  
  20. Black Arcane

Black
    Make a comparison between D:OS and PoE's loading screens.
    Which one has more and longer, DISQUSS
    Hey, go easy on that PoE hate.

^ Top  
  21. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Cyseal was awesome. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah, anyone who claims that the setting is super awesomely developed and detailed and very different from D&D obviously hasn't read enough D&D sourcebooks, because you can construct a very similar thing to PoE by sprinkling a bit of Planescape into the Forgotten Realms. No, really, 90% of the game's lore and story could be changed into a custom Forgotten Realms campaign with very little effort, and you wouldn't really notice the difference.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  23. Gangrelrumbler Arcane

Gangrelrumbler
    PoE is much worse when it comes to loading screens. For example, when you are clearing Endless Paths and decide to buy more camping supplies first you need to exit the dungeon, then go to the keep, exit the keep, go to the second level of your tavern, exit and finally go back to the dungeon, that's 9 fucking loading screens for something as trivial. In DivOS when you decide you need to exit the dungeon in Chyseal and go to every shop in the city you will see one screen, while getting out of the dungeon. Fun fact: getting out of the dungeon, going to Dryford, sleeping in Dragon's Tavern and coming back will give you only 6 loading screens, making your keep even more useless than it would be by itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  24. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Darth Roxor likes to be negative for the sake of being negative. The game has some minor problems, but I don't see the need to blow them out of proportion - especially when it does so many things right.

- Quest design is very good for the most part.
    - Setting is okay and has some nice new ideas in it.
    - The character classes are not similar or 'bland' at all.
    - The numerous skill checks in conversations and on the Darklands-like screens were done very well.
    - The combat experience is still there, though only until you "know" a particular enemy fully.
    - To say that combat in general is "too easy" is stretching it. For the most part, the difficulty level was just right.
    - The Stronghold did not have much of a purpose but it was a nice touch. And the dungeon below it was excellent.
    - The items and the crafting were okay, though it could have been done better.

- Personally I thought that the loading times were the biggest problem.
    - More C&C would have been nice too, such as at the famous ending of Act II.
    - Also, the capping off at Level 12 made no sense.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  25. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    I'm pleased that the Codex is willing to jeopardize its relationship with Obsidian by posting an honest review of bad game. Well done, Darth Roxor.
    :hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 45
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)