Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim scans

Radisshu

Prophet
A whole game based on Radiant AI would be a million times better than Oblivion.

Nael

Arcane
denizsi said:
Cold laser therapy. It does wonders. Hopefully, it won't cause latent cancers either.

Why do I need therapy when I have you guys? :love:

:/

:x

Gilithus

Novice
graphics

Yo, I registered just to post on this thread. Anyway, something to note is that the images that were posted from the magazine were enlarged dramatically, from images not even the size of your palm. Thus they may not look quite as good because of that. This may be obvious to some, but just pointing it out. One thing that is supposed to be good about Skyrim is their new engine allows drastic draw distances compared to Fallout and Oblivion. Skyrim is also supposed to have roughly six or seven distinguishable environments, such as mountains, glacial coasts, arid plateaus, tundra, low-lying grassy plains, and temperate forests. One more thing to note is that there is a drastic visual difference between the pictures in the magazine and the one's posted here. The one's here seem... deluded somehow. Like they've been pisswashed or something, with a wierd yellower tone and less distinguishable features. Anyway, that's my take on the information I've picked up.

circ

Arcane
Who... cares about environments? If I walk from my home to downtown, I'm not going to run into 10 AMAZING DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENTS!!! Doing any of the earth's continents, you might see three. More if you trek from southern Asia to upper Russia or something. But then, Skyrim isn't that big.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
circ said:
Who... cares about environments?

Well, I do. Having one game that looks the same everywhere will just bore you to death within hours. Just look at Oblivion. Or, even worse in that regard, Hellgate London.
Borderlands also suffers from this.
It doesn't matter that much if it is really well done (Fallout), but that doesn't happen too often.

But maybe you were being ironic and I failed my check.

About Skyrim... Well, I do think that it will be more fun than Oblivion.

It takes an uncreative designer to need to include a super-continental range of climatic zones to represent variation. In reality it ends up damaging the presentation due to the way such an approach encourages the designer to focus only on the superficial details of each zone.

Games haven't even come close to exploring the climatic or geographical nature of even the most classical zones, so I don't see why they feel the need to create superficial diversity in the same stereotypical way.

.Sigurd

Educated
Re: graphics

Gilithus said:
Yo, I registered just to post on this thread. Anyway, something to note is that the images that were posted from the magazine were enlarged dramatically, from images not even the size of your palm. Thus they may not look quite as good because of that. This may be obvious to some, but just pointing it out. One thing that is supposed to be good about Skyrim is their new engine allows drastic draw distances compared to Fallout and Oblivion. Skyrim is also supposed to have roughly six or seven distinguishable environments, such as mountains, glacial coasts, arid plateaus, tundra, low-lying grassy plains, and temperate forests. One more thing to note is that there is a drastic visual difference between the pictures in the magazine and the one's posted here. The one's here seem... deluded somehow. Like they've been pisswashed or something, with a wierd yellower tone and less distinguishable features. Anyway, that's my take on the information I've picked up.
Racional thinking on my Codex!? Shame on you Gilithus!

Flanged

Scholar
bear610ed.jpg

Concept art appears to confirm that bears with multi-headed dicks are in.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
deuxhero said:
It is implied the weapon skills are "one handed" and "two handed', a decent choice.

Bumping this from the first page, because it sucks, and is mega-gay.

Flanged

Scholar
.Sigurd said:
Holding a staff and a sword? :(

They'll both be the same skill anyway. It's not an actual screenshot, thank Christ, but then again, if this is all they can come up with when their imaginations have absolute free rein... if this is what they use to inspire them... it's not good.

I just realised what's meant to be happening in the pic is that the bear and the birds were feeding on the dead mammoth when the Nord guy interrupted them and now he's in trouble. I thought it was an angry bear sticking it's cock through a bush.

DraQ

Arcane

Gilithus said:
One thing that is supposed to be good about Skyrim is their new engine allows drastic draw distances compared to Fallout and Oblivion.
"Supposed" is the keyword here.

Awsum!!1 draw distances would be a great thing in large, procedural game like Daggerfall, in small, handcrafted world meant to represent much larger area as is the case of TES>=3, it can at best be inconsequential, at worst, detrimental. Distant land in oblivious wans't an improvement over lack of it in Morrowind, if anything it killed the illusion that the world was actually big.
The best use of distant land enabled by MGE is tweaking it so that it eliminates clipping, but doesn't increase actual view distance beyond the usual distance between major landmarks, otherwise it makes the game look like Disneyland.

So, either the SkVrim will use MW broken-up terrain, except with higher, view-obscuring mountains and the increased draw distance will be of no consequence, or the draw distance will actually come into play and reveal that the supposedly major portion of the whole continent is in fact no larger than my hometown.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
.Sigurd said:
Holding a staff and a sword? :(
Plus he's carrying a shield and axe on his back.

Also those birds better not be a fucking enemy. I don't want to deal with fucking cliffracers ever again.

.Sigurd

Educated

Gilithus said:
One thing that is supposed to be good about Skyrim is their new engine allows drastic draw distances compared to Fallout and Oblivion.
The guys from Starvault did it much better with Unreal Engine 3.5 in their MMORPG than Bethesda with Gamebryo (and possible with Creation Engine). So yeah... more blue fog everywhere you look.

BetaScreen05.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Naw that doesn't sound very EPIC, hopefully some modder will make a four-handed custom race as soon as the game's out so you can quadruple-wield staves.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Nael said:
More good news Codex. Oblivion 2 will feature bear rape

image-6-for-the-yoga-bear-gallery-129234486.jpg

Yes but is it tastefully done bear rape? Do you have to buy him dinner beforehand?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom