Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So about the new God of War

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dedicated_Dark, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Dedicated_Dark Learned

Dedicated_Dark
    Perfect scores for the most part and everyone seems enamored with the story than gameplay.

IGN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MtcOznfM4

I think this should seal the fate of DMC like Uncharted sealing the fate of Tomb Raider. Goddamn story fags everywhere, I remember back when reviewers were praising DmC's story... ..fuckin story fags with incredibly low standards. Fuckin Witcher 3 getting 10s with it's unbalanced mess of a gameplay... .. fuckin AC2 screwing up what AC could've been..

Kratos with such emotion, ah! so artsy, fuckin bullshit gaming media. Can't pick people who are capable of playing games to review them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • decline x 5
    • Despair x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Rage x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fork Cipher

fork
    Yes.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Rumor has it that DMC5 will be more like Dragon's Dogma so you can't blame GoW for that.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 4
    • incline incline x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Martius Liturgist

Martius

:hmmm:
    Why do I feel all reviews will be like that? I already heard in another one that game is just like "batman, uncharted, new tomb raider with some elements of metroidvania".

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cross Savant

Cross
    By that logic Skyrim should have sealed the fate of Dragon's Dogma. Games take years to make. DMC 5 has supposedly been in development for years, so at this point it's not feasible for this God of War game to affect its design philosophy to any significant degree. The Tomb Raider reboot came out six years after Uncharted.

^ Top  
  6. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Can't fucking wait for this... looks gorgeous, the combat looks awesome... and its 30 hours long, so much goodness.

• Shit x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Dammit games like these tempt me into buying a PS4.

• Funny x 3
    • decline x 3
    • Shit x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    I'll just repeat what I said in another thread.

I'm finally playing God of War III. I say finally because I watched that teaser at the end of God of War II ten years ago. I kind of wanted it when I had a PS3, but it wasn't a big priority and I heard bad things about the framerate back then. I keep asking myself as I'm playing why this series had to become another one of those walk and talk over the shoulder (shit for action games) movie games. I don't dislike all those games, but I don't want God of War to be The Last of Us. Yeah, GoW wasn't the best action game, but I liked it for what it was, this epic, brutal adventure that you actually played. All they had to do was improve the controls and mechanics and maybe introduce a new protagonist and mythology. But, to be honest, I was never bothered about Kratos' rage and cruelty. The story has never been that important to me. One of the compliments I sometimes hear about the new God of War is that Kratos is an actual character now. He is sensitive and peaceful now. Give me a break. It's not even the same guy.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I was reticent about the new perspective, but after ascension, i was done with the series as it was.

This new game has a bunch of stuff that looks very interesting, especially the no loading and one take camera work, the relationship with his son, the crafting and characters progression, but most of wall the portrayal of the norse pantheon as cunts, their world as being one in decay, and how you as a foreign god get to explore and interact with them.

Regarding the set pieces, the reviews mention that there are larger than life set pieces similar to the old games and that a lot of footage wasnt shown as to not spoil the story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Gameplay looks brutal enough for me. While over the shoulder shooty games feel flaccid and floaty, well done melee combat can feel like it has more impact with the camera angle, as seen in God Hand. My only worry is that there will be too many of those dumb scenes where you're forced to walk and since you're going nowhere fast you have to read the bad dialogue interactions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ash Arcane

Ash
    This confirms it's shit. Though God of War was never amazing, but those games are next level decline so....

Also: brofist OP! We need more masterrace gameplayfags in the gaming audience:love:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dedicated_Dark Learned

Dedicated_Dark
    God of War already had the no loading thing going for it, that was it's thing. No loading screens. Dark Souls 1 also has no loading screens, Jak and Daxter games also has no loading screens, Prince of Persia 2008 has no fuckin loading screen at all ever... .. beat that bitches.

As for the one take camera, Dead Space 2 already had that, and prior GoW games already did that shit within gameplay when you fight the big ass monsters, it was seamless integration of gameplay with cinemati-cism, they only used cut off's during actual cutscenes where the camera had to do cuts to look good. Anyway, MGSV already did this shit and got famous for it so what's the damn point again?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Frusciante Arbiter

Frusciante
    Project: Eternity
    So edgy, what is your point? That it's shit just because it has been done before? These can still be good features even though they're not something completely new.

^ Top  
  16. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Why are you so bitter? :negative:

• Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fork Cipher

fork
    What a overhyped shit game, lulz.
    That off-center camera, claustrophobic fov, the retarded child, the climbing passages devoid of any gameplay, cinematic finishers and melodramatic cutscenes, and all the 10/10 reviews... yeah, complete shit.

• Button x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Looks like every other type of this game. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Last of Us, Ryse, etc. Combat and platforming that plays itself, emphasis on a story that constrains the player to a single path, "in-game cutscenes" which just mean you are unable to skip them and have large sections of walking slowly while listening to characters talk without any input, banal leveling and skill trees to give the illusion of complexity, and so on. Who gives a shit. Why do people get excited for this redundant garbage.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    We're all impressed at your vidya trivia skills that reach as far back as.. 10 years ago.

^ Top  
  20. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Because people enjoy fun mindless games sometimes and take a brake from highbrow experiences like PoE... :smug:

• Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Can you fuck Xena?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. No Great Name Cipher

No Great Name
    A bit nitpicky, but I definitely remember loading screens in Dark Souls. It was mostly black screen with the text of random item descriptions on it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Villagkouras Arbiter

Villagkouras
    You died too much.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Jacob Hey, it's me, I Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    nonstop whirlwind of emotion and bloody action... hahahah, how cute.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    I know that people has turned it into a kind of meme, but I'm concerned about the lost of plataforming and jumping mechanics in this game. I have read a valuable review of this game, and while the review itself doesn't highlight it as a fault it mentions the lack of verticality. If you see an enemy above a rock you can't even climb to it because the fighting mechanics are separate from the exploration ones (You can do it outside combat btwt!). Also the climbing is completely automated in this, you can't even die or fall.

Despite I'm very interested in this game mythology and atmosphere-wise, it looks like a mess in terms of gameplay. Let's see.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)