Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

I don’t follow the Uncharted games, so I didn’t know another Uncharted collection came out. I knew about the PS4 collection that’s the first three games, and when I googled Uncharted collection that’s the thing that came out.

I was wondering if there was some collection after the one with the first three game, which as you point out there is, and it’s exactly like I thought it might be. The PS4 collection also runs on PS5. So what do you think is more likely: The second collection doesn’t have the first three games because they’re old, or the second collection doesn’t have the first three games because the collection with those games also runs on PS5?

The combat changes you’re talking about are different than what I had in mind. You’re musing about combat changes that would be a whole different style of game. Which would definitely make it remake. I’d be interested to see if they try to make the combat that is there better, like the difference between DmC: Devil May Cry combat and DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Since I don't see this posed. I think it's relevant. One of the og creators of GoW doesn't like what the new God of Wars are, he doesn't like the fact that Kratos is the writers self-insert and they broke the lore to do whatever the fuck they want without respecting the ground rules of the franchise. And you can see the respect he is getting from the wankers in the comments section.
As long as it personally please them, people are fucking cunts, they'll take everything and change it to whatever the fuck they want it to be.
Nothing is sacred.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister

Since I don't see this posed. I think it's relevant. He doesn't like what the new God of Wars are, he doesn't like the fact that Kratos is the writers self-insert and they broke the lore to do whatever the fuck they want without respecting the ground rules of the franchise. And you can see the respect he is getting from the wankers in the comments section.
As long as it personally please them, people are fucking cunts, they'll take everything and change it to whatever the fuck they want it to be.
Nothing is sacred.

He has a point but he formulates in a very shaky way. He talks about franchises and character growth but none of those really apply to Kratos or God of War. Its the right point presented in the wrong way.
Kratos as a character stood out and was interesting to follow even in the first game because he was so distinctly not a hero, not a father and definitely not a role model. Kratos is the product of a classic greek tragedy, a man who is no longer a man but a monster. So as far as videogames go a extremely non-standard protagonist, borderline a antagonist(borderline because of the convenience of pandora's box).

Modern Kratos is just a slightly less friendly protagonist number 547. He is essentially an extra in his own game as you could easily replace him with any other "Dad character" from the last 10 years and it would make barely any difference. The original games could not exist without Kratos, there was no swapping him for Dante or Bayonetta and the game still being the same but you absolutely can swap Baerdos for Joel or Corvo or even big Daddy and it would basically only affect the aesthetics.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I agree with the gist of what he said, but yeah. Also was foolish of him to use the first three Indiana Jones movies as a comparison. The Last Crusade tried to make Indi more of a character by giving him a father, a dog and a childhood. Like new God of War but not as bad, it degraded the character by making him more (to quote the video title) personal.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned

Since I don't see this posed. I think it's relevant. He doesn't like what the new God of Wars are, he doesn't like the fact that Kratos is the writers self-insert and they broke the lore to do whatever the fuck they want without respecting the ground rules of the franchise. And you can see the respect he is getting from the wankers in the comments section.
Nothing is sacred.

He has a point but he formulates in a very shaky way. He talks about franchises and character growth but none of those really apply to Kratos or God of War. Its the right point presented in the wrong way.
Kratos as a character stood out and was interesting to follow even in the first game because he was so distinctly not a hero, not a father and definitely not a role model. Kratos is the product of a classic greek tragedy, a man who is no longer a man but a monster. So as far as videogames a extremely non-standard protagonist, borderline a antagonist(borderline because of the convenience of pandora's box).

Modern Kratos is just a slightly less friendly protagonist number 547. He is essentially an extra in his own game as you could easily replace him with any other "Dad character" from the last 10 years and it would make barely any difference. The original games could not exist without Kratos, there was no swapping him for Dante or Bayonetta and the game still being the same but you absolutely can swap Baerdos for Joel or Corvo or even big Daddy and it would basically only affect the aesthetics.

Kratos is a non character in the new games. He has zero agency and is lead by the nose by others the entire time. His late wife, his son, Freya, etc. All he does is grunts and agree with them. He is a side character in his own game. In the second nu-GOW game its even worse as he never shows his edgier side. At least he looses control a few times in the first game, its like they flipped a switch and its impossible to recognize him.

The old GOW games were a celebration to edginess but with a deeper background and story, if that makes sense. In a way they were meant, as you said, to be somewhat close to the original Greek myths. The Norse characters look completely out of place in the setting, they are closer to Marvel than what is portrayed in the Sagas. It was something like what happened to MK, they reveled in carnage and sexuality, almost a fuck you to people trying to change and sanitize the medium. The new games are sanitized beyond belief, even the violence is toned down in nu-GOW. The worst part is retards who never played the old games saying that the new ones are 'so much deeper' and Kratos is a much better character because he changed now. You can do a deep analysis of old Kratos and the journey that molded and broke the man.

Ravielsk

Magister
The worst part is retards who never played the old games saying that the new ones are 'so much deeper' and Kratos is a much better character because he changed now.
That is paradoxically because the depth of old GoW was... well actually deep inside. The game is all about doing and not telling which is for the average cinematic game enjoyer about 2 steps above their head. The real Kratos was a absolute beast made by both his and the gods hubris, a truly tragic greek hero who in pursuit of a fundamentally just goal became worse than the people he was trying to punish. The extreme levels of violence and sex are a deliberate choice to make this point, not a gimmick to drive sales. But you have to kind of figure that out yourself instead the game pausing every chapter to remind you that Kratos and his whole situation is in deed fucked up.

Nu-Gow on the other hand is all exposition and repetition so only a literal retard could not and would not get what the game is saying. It does not take a genius to figure out which one would be treated by the masses as the "deep thinkers piece" and which as the "dude bro hack'n'slah".

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Anyone played Valhalla DLC for Ragnarok? Looks pretty fun from what I see, at least for a free DLC that is:

Some of the weapons probably used as a playground for the next game in the series. I sold the game after beating it unfortunately so can't try it now.

El Presidente

Arcane
Codexers bewildered that people can grow older and change when they get families.
Sure but not everything that happens in the creators' lives should spill into their games, and they lacked discernment to realize killing machine Kratos shouldn't be turned into a stoic, domesticated father, it simply didn't fit the tone and what God of War as an action series was going for. Just because I had severe diarrhea while writing a story doesn't mean I gotta put my protagonist to suffer through the same. Also this is just yet another one of those:

Creator: tadaaa! Batman is now gay and brings boyfriends to the batcave!
Fan #1: uhhhh..... wtf is that?
Fan #2: *furiously DOWNVOTING and reporting fan #1* what's the matter, bigot? Maybe if you weren't such a raycys piece of shit you'd enjoy it!

The many, many examples of this throughout lots of different entertainments over the last years show there'll always be lots of Fan #2 types ready to defend virtually anything, when essentially what happened on the backstage was just our good old vile AIDS Blackrock and Sweet Baby twisting the next thing they reached, and/or the creators themselves fully aboard le currentyear retardry, cause of course they are, don't you HAVE to these days?

Kratos' change from the OT to the new games is one of the stupidest things ever done in video games. Even worse is that both new games have this underlying marvelized script tone to them, cause of course they do, don't you HAVE to these days?

Just like every game art now has to look like a League of legends skin artwork.

true-damage-ekko-mythic.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure but not everything that happens in the creators' lives should spill into their games, and they lacked discernment to realize killing machine Kratos shouldn't be turned into a stoic, domesticated father, it simply didn't fit the tone and what God of War as an action series was going for.
3 ended with Kratos killing his father and then leaving in disgust. Have him morose about it decades later is a sensible storytelling decision.

El Presidente

Arcane
Sure but not everything that happens in the creators' lives should spill into their games, and they lacked discernment to realize killing machine Kratos shouldn't be turned into a stoic, domesticated father, it simply didn't fit the tone and what God of War as an action series was going for.
3 ended with Kratos killing his father and then leaving in disgust. Have him morose about it decades later is a sensible storytelling decision.
But Kratos isn't a real guy, what happens next to him is invented by the writers. It's possible he goes the Dad of War route, sure, but it's also possible the next game he goes back to indiscriminately killing people, monsters and gods without making a big deal of it, you know, like the series was all about? Surely you can also depict the DMC characters as scarred, moody and silent dads in DMC6 after all the shit they've been through over the last 5 games, but should you? Would it result in a more entertaining and satisfying final product than the action route?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But Kratos isn't a real guy, what happens next to him is invented by the writers. It's possible he goes the Dad of War route, sure, but it's also possible the next game he goes back to indiscriminately killing people, monsters and gods without making a big deal of it, you know, like the series was all about? Surely you can also depict the DMC characters as scarred, moody and silent dads in DMC6 after all the shit they've been through over the last 5 games, but should you? Would it result in a more entertaining and satisfying final product than the action route?
Dante does in fact experience character growth becoming less brash and emotional over time. :M

El Presidente

Arcane
Dante does in fact experience character growth becoming less brash and emotional over time. :M
I didn't know actually, I only really played 1 and 3 tbh

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, they made him too stoic and humorless in 2 which is why they went far in the other direction with the prequel and initially claimed that 2 took place after 4 before changing their mind and deciding he was only just being extra moody during that particular moment in time.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah, they made him too stoic and humorless in 2 which is why they went far in the other direction with the prequel and initially claimed that 2 took place after 4 before changing their mind and deciding he was only just being extra moody during that particular moment in time.

Japanese games retro'ing their own timeline due to stupid decisions. A tale as old as time.

Elttharion

Learned
Kratos being morose and changing isnt the biggest problem. What I dont like is his lack of agency in the change and the events of the games and how quickly it happens. At one point he kills Baldur to save Freya and goes full rage mode when its needed in the first game. In the second Freya almost kills him and him and Atreus and he just sulks a bit. He completely looses his edge. You mentioned Dante but while he changes you can still see that he isnt a completely different person, Kratos literally goes moping around during the nu games because his kid lies to him. I understand this is a game and you cant take the decades it takes to truly change a person but to me it was clear Kratos is a self insert for that Balrog guy or whatever is his name. He wanted a sad dad character and he did all he could to turn Kratos into one.

It doesnt help that both games are written like Marvel movies (its much worse in the second one tho) and the dialogue is mostly terrible. Another thing is that its clear they planned a trilogy and cut one entire game out. And I didnt even mention the gameplay and design problems or how they make you play as Atreus going on a date to grab fruits and seeds with his black know it all girlfriend.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kratos being morose and changing isnt the biggest problem. What I dont like is his lack of agency in the change and the events of the games and how quickly it happens. At one point he kills Baldur to save Freya and goes full rage mode when its needed in the first game. In the second Freya almost kills him and him and Atreus and he just sulks a bit. He completely looses his edge. You mentioned Dante but while he changes you can still see that he isnt a completely different person, Kratos literally goes moping around during the nu games because his kid lies to him. I understand this is a game and you cant take the decades it takes to truly change a person but to me it was clear Kratos is a self insert for that Balrog guy or whatever is his name. He wanted a sad dad character and he did all he could to turn Kratos into one.

It doesnt help that both games are written like Marvel movies (its much worse in the second one tho) and the dialogue is mostly terrible. Another thing is that its clear they planned a trilogy and cut one entire game out. And I didnt even mention the gameplay and design problems or how they make you play as Atreus going on a date to grab fruits and seeds with his black know it all girlfriend.
I just played the first game and didn't bother with the second because even the plot threads they set up there made it seem like trash I wouldn't be interested in (and I was right).

Elttharion

Learned

I just played the first game and didn't bother with the second because even the plot threads they set up there made it seem like trash I wouldn't be interested in (and I was right).
Yeah, dont bother with the second game, its terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom