Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SpellForce 3 - RTS/RPG with good writing - now with Soul Harvest standalone expansion

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Tomipapa, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Tomipapa Educated

Tomipapa
    https://spellforce.com

https://www.gog.com/game/spellforce_iii?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8
    https://www.gog.com/game/spellforce_3_soul_harvest?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/spellforce-3/artikel/spellforce_3,50148,3059062.html

Zero german skill here, so with the help of google translate: Developement is in a very early stage( eight months), it's a prequel(taking place before SP 1), and the original author will write the story. No release date but i wouldn't expect it before late 2015 or early 2016.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    :bounce:
    Show Spoiler
    Yeah,I pretty much loved SpellForce
    Show Spoiler
    You too have a shit taste in games.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Settlers 2 was good.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    Without Phenomic's involvement it'll probably be shit.

^ Top  
  5. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I hope it'll be less boring then previous games.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I uninstalled Spellforce 1 after a few hours. In trying to mix RPG and RTS elements it only succeeded in watering down both.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I had no idea this was coming. Good news considering I fairly enjoyed the first two games for what they were. Kinda surprised they kept making new expansions for Spellforce 2, though.

^ Top  
  8. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
  9. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Thanks for this preview! It makes it sound like a Real Time take on Birthright (ie, trying to have 3 concurring gameplays at once, instead of the usual 2 minigames supporting the main game, like in X-COM). I kind of like this type of game, but I am not sure there is much audience for it. But for me, one of the appeal of spellforce 2 was that your heroes allowed you the cut through the enemy army without having to endure the bland RTS part.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    I never played spellforce 1 or 2. I expect this trend will continue when spell force 3 is released.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    It has a Steam page now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Berekän #11231 Patron

Berekän
    Looks real pretty, how were the old spellforce games? Any hope for this one?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I only played the first one and all I can say is that it was averagely mediocre, but I enjoyed it for a while. The RPG in an RTS is a cool gimmick at first but the problem is that the game:

1. Has a really bad interface which is basically a death warrant for an RTS. While you can put units into groups and give basic orders like hold ground, there just aren't any advanced commands that you can give, no formations, no nothing. And the worst part is that you have no control over how units use their spells. So for instance healers will pay the full mana cost (let's say 25%) to heal a unit that has taken one hit of damage. And I do mean healers, because all of them will be trying to heal the same unit at the same time.

2. It drags on for way too long and it degenerates into a grind. There are just too many maps and the formula that you need to use to get through them is the same most of the time. The "RPG" maps help break the monotony somewhat but most of the time the quests are of the go-there-kill-that-bring me that variety.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This can be said for both games.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I played first Spellforce and finished it but I quit 2nd one pretty fast. Don't remember exactly why (probably bugs or being unpolished or performance). I just might "demo" this version when it is out :D

^ Top  
  16. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    They also never bothered to make an actual AI. Instead enemy bases have portals that spawn units on a timer and immediately send them towards your base. No resource gathering or scouting or anything, just waves on every map. Lots of times the strategy for a map is figuring out how much you can do before "activating" an enemy base, then reloading and building up/clearing out as much as possible before doing so.

It's still a fresh idea of a game, if they can do it better then I'll be very interested.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/117287-spellforce-3-gameplay-details-and-screenshots.html

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    Game is supposed to be released this years but there is complete lack of informations, no gameplay videos, almost zero coverage on magazines and very few update (mostly artworks) from devs.

I wanna know more

^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Try asking HobGoblin42.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    ^ Top  
  20. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

This can be said for most rpgs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

10 bucks it won't have day/night cycles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    That might explain these problems. They are relatively inexperienced, and properly made sequel of SF2 demands a lot of skills. BTW why didn't they use original programmers of SF2?

^ Top  
  23. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    Yeah, you sorcerer, i was looking for that

No excuses this time, the previous title had it

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  25. Mazisky Augur

Mazisky
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)