Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
More from Jay Turner:

Well, let's see:

I was BioWare's first Editor when I worked on Jade Empire (I wrote some of the lore scrolls and item descriptions, too) and Mass Effect 1. I became a writer on DA:O and worked on dialogue, characters, plots, etc., which I also did for ME2. I wrote Sonic Chronicles pretty much by myself. I left BioWare around the time ME3 was going into production, which means that I did some high level plot work, but that I wasn't there for Dat Ending... or any of the truly great writing that happened on the rest of that title, unfortunately.

My favorite work has been on Zaeed (ultimate badass) and Kasumi (too much fun to write!) for ME2, and Oghren (axes and fart jokes!) for DA:O. I love creating and writing characters, and I really hope that you guys will be as engaged and entertained by our stable of characters in SCL as I am.
smile.png

Ok, well maybe the combat is good...

Weasel
Yes, apart from the Jay Turner comments there's not much concrete info on the forums yet, just a lot of questions, enthusiasm and "wait and see!" responses. A lot of excited people there.

The banter and trolling is of a slightly different tone to the Codex though
Oh. I reported you for being too awesome. Enjoy your ban!
rolleyes.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
More from Jay Turner:

Well, let's see:

I was BioWare's first Editor when I worked on Jade Empire (I wrote some of the lore scrolls and item descriptions, too) and Mass Effect 1. I became a writer on DA:O and worked on dialogue, characters, plots, etc., which I also did for ME2. I wrote Sonic Chronicles pretty much by myself. I left BioWare around the time ME3 was going into production, which means that I did some high level plot work, but that I wasn't there for Dat Ending... or any of the truly great writing that happened on the rest of that title, unfortunately.

My favorite work has been on Zaeed (ultimate badass) and Kasumi (too much fun to write!) for ME2, and Oghren (axes and fart jokes!) for DA:O. I love creating and writing characters, and I really hope that you guys will be as engaged and entertained by our stable of characters in SCL as I am.
smile.png

Ok, well maybe the combat is good...

Zaeed honestly wasn't that bad a character. The rest though...

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zaeed honestly wasn't that bad a character.

The main reason Zaeed didn't sucked was because he didn't have "companion conversations" in the Normandy like the others non-DLC characters did. That kept the bullshit to a minimum.

But I don't want to diminish credit where is due, Zaeed was a pretty cool character.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
In the collector edition, there are additionnal tileset for the "Lost Mines".The fact is that in the PP 5th edition, there is an adventure called "Lost Mine of Phandelver".I won't be surprised this could be the official adaptation of this PP campaign

dsc_0609.jpg

And it seems this Phandelver is well located in the Sword Coast:
http://lupinebookclub.blogspot.fr/2014/07/dungeons-dragons-starter-set-unboxing.html

*a 64-page booklet – an adventure called “Lost Mine of Phandelver”

This adventure takes players from levels 1-5, and is set in the famous Forgotten Realms, along the Sword Coast

edit: more precisly, the story of this adventure takes place in the village of Phandalin with this official map
70620_NorthSwordCoast_PlayerVersion_ZF_3370_34910_1_001_.jpg

Last edited:

TomatoJuice

Educated
How is that? The more I read about it, the more I look into it, the more I think it is going to be garbage. /shrug

It looks like it could have at least something in common with a game you can call a CRPG. That's way more than i expected.
I for myself put it in the, look it up when it's near the finishing line, category.

imweasel

It looks like the game has combat XP.

jzThtf5.jpg

It looks like it could have at least something in common with a game you can call a CRPG. That's way more than i expected.
I for myself put it in the, look it up when it's near the finishing line, category.
Yep, the game definitely has potential from what I have seen. We need more info to come to a final verdict though.

pippin

A party of 4 covers the bare basics, but allows little room for experiments IMO.
The game looks almost exactly like Dragon Age. Plus it is yet another FR game. I don't know what to think. If it's not horribly broken at release I might play it.

Keldryn

Arcane
Haha, yep, BioWare's dirty little secret. It was forgotten very quickly. I wonder if anybody on this forum has ever played it.

I got it for my wife a few years back, as she was a huge fan of Super Mario RPG on the SNES, and Sonic Chronicles seemed like it might be in the same spirit. She played it until a point where she was in a dungeon that she couldn't leave and had run out of healing items. I played it for a few hours, but moved on to better RPGs on the DS. I thought it was "okay" from what I played, but nothing special.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We have a writer.

I'll bite!
wink.png

I'm Jay Turner, Narrative Director for SCL. I'm also writing the majority of the story, dialogue, etc. for the game, along with help from our leads team and our designers on the project. We're working closely with Wizards to make sure the story is aligned with the Forgotten Realms and as awesome as everything else you see what that legendary imprint.

For my credits, I've worked on Jade Empire, all three Mass Effects, Dragon Age: Origins, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, and Dead Space 3. I've also been playing D&D since I was but a wee lad, and running it (and other tabletop RPGs) for more than 20 years.

We've got an awesome team and an insanely awesome game, and I think you guys will be pleased with what we're putting together. Thanks for your interest!

At least he has some experience with branching dialogue.

Morkar Left

I'm at a point where I don't care any longer for d&d. 4th edition rules were shit and I don't think 5th edition will significally change that. With all the changes in the FR the world will not have that feeling of familiarity either. I guess the game will be comparable to NWN2 but surely not BG/Goldbox.

I guess my only hope would be an inXile game with the Pathfinder license.

Xenich

Cipher
I'm at a point where I don't care any longer for d&d. 4th edition rules were shit and I don't think 5th edition will significally change that. With all the changes in the FR the world will not have that feeling of familiarity either. I guess the game will be comparable to NWN2 but surely not BG/Goldbox.

Well, I know that my friends and I stopped really messing with D&D after 2nd edition as we moved on to other systems that were better suited to gaming. D&D pretty much became a mainstream gimmick after a while, so for some they have been dead for a long time.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
all three Mass Effects, Dragon Age: Origins, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, and Dead Space 3

:popamole:

Writers don't have to be good game designers. It could have been 10,000x times worse.

With 20 years experience of P&P role playing, I'm inclined to give him a chance. A lot of writing it declined due to broader trends in the gaming industry.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I think 5ed feels more like D&D than Pathfinder. I would still put Pathfinder leagues ahead of 4ed though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I found a comment related to this game on the net that I can't possibly even begin to understand

Phew, real time + pause. What a relief. I feared it would be a turnbased clickfest

:what:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found a comment related to this game on the net that I can't possibly even begin to understand

Phew, real time + pause. What a relief. I feared it would be a turnbased clickfest

:what:

Well, turn-based can be more clicky than real-time because there's no auto-attack. Mostly an issue in fights where standard attacks are your main activity ie trash fights.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom