Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Avengers game by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I think it might have both, like Gojira says above. Some of the E3 stuff I paid half attention to hinted as much, but no one seems sure. I think it's silly when any game is so cagey about what it really is, but it's especially ridiculous when it's a game coming out in less than a year.

^ Top  
  2. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Not if your game is a generic piece of shit and you know it. In that case your best bet is to show as little as possible and rely on brand strength for sales.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheChickenKing Learned

TheChickenKing
    I wonder how they could do a Game-as-a-service model with this sort of property in the first place. They've already stated they're not interested in charging for new characters or story missions, so are they going all in with cosmetic purchases? Full expansions? How do they expect to keep people around long term? It can't possibly be some sort of loot game without ruining one of the major selling points of a game like this - the specific look of the characters (and most likely optional purchaseable outfits).

I guess they could also have non-cosmetic loot but that doesn't seem particularly fun either. The core gameplay, what little of it has been described, doesn't sound particularly capable of carrying long-term replayability, either. Boy, this project looks like a mess.

^ Top  
  4. kalganoat Learned

kalganoat
    Kek so they killed all their western IPs for this shit?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, not to hand out advice on how to fuck people over but I would think the real way to monetize a service game like this long term would be to charge for new characters and mission packs. "Download Daredevil and the Hell's Kitchen mission today!" and shit like that. If it really is a beat 'em up Destiny that's looking to make all its coin on cosmetics and upgraded weapons I think they made a big mistake there. Though I don't play games like that, so what the fuck do I know.

^ Top  
  6. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    The biggest failure is that it tries to look and then not look like the MCU, at the same time, which will confuse a lot of casuals who were expecting a MCU-game and wonder why every character just looks off

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    They announced all the characters would be free didn't they? But you gotta buy black suit/paper bag mask/scarlet spider suits. I have no idea how much money would be in that though, no idea if normies would buy em.

^ Top  
  8. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    I wouldn't say this is really trying to look like the MUC, at least no more than all the other Marvel stuff since the MCU has started. They're just trying to do practical takes on costumes, which is something you can find in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 too, and that came before everything but the first Iron Man movie I think; while also making it look realistic graphically.

The Captain America they showed almost fells like a conscious effort to not make him look like any MCU version of the character we've seen. Since there will be gear, and it does sounds like you can change how characters look I'm sure you'll be able to make Captain America look more like different takes from the comics and movies, but the version they decided to show first is very different from any MCU take. You could say Thor is trying to look like MCU Thor, but then MUA2 Thor basically ended up similar looking too and that was before MCU THOR was even a movie. Outside of those two the only way to make Iron Man not look like MCU Iron Man is to roll his costume back to before Extremis, or do something really radical his look like Ultimate Iron Man did. And Black Widow has ways kind of looked the same outside of when she had a gray jumpsuit in the '90s, and when she first appeared.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Their gameplay is so sacred to be shared: https://gematsu.com/2019/07/marvels...o-be-released-online-between-august-26-and-30

^ Top  
  10. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
  11. Turuko Educated

Turuko

:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Circuit Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Man,this looks like shit

^ Top  
  14. Trans-Financial-Man Savant

Trans-Financial-Man
    I don't see why they're hiding this from people. It looks like the sort of watered down pablum that the Normies will love. Add in the no doubt microtransaction laden cosmetics and "ebic l00t" and this seems like a sure seller. It's no City of Heroes but it looks okay.

^ Top  
  15. Trans-Financial-Man Savant

Trans-Financial-Man
    [​IMG]

I'm glad they removed Lord Farquad and replaced him with Black Widow. No idea why he was in the game. Characters from Shrek haven't made an appearance in the Marvel universe for decades.

• incline incline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. baud Arbiter

baud

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Why does taskmaster have the same voice actor as one of the main characters? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Not that I expected anything different, but looks like the kind of beat 'em up controller game I don't enjoy much. Maybe in a deep sale someday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword
    Isn't the Taskmaster's whole thing that he imitates other people?

^ Top  
  20. Trans-Financial-Man Savant

Trans-Financial-Man
    No, he instantly figures out the weakness in someone's fighting style. It's what used to make him so fearsome before Marvel's current child-brained auteurs decided everything needed to be ironic and lolsorandom. Taskmaster basically had the Batman prep time meme as an actual super power. He doesn't outright imitate people down to the voice. That's the Chameleon.

^ Top  
  21. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Sure, he can imitate physical tasks that he sees. But if that's what is going on there he should probably be switching voices. Or explaining the ability at length like everything else in that scene. It just looks like a confusing mistake in the context of a trailer.

Insider scoop:

[Disney Exec 1] Test screenings for the Black Widow movie are concerning.
    [Disney Exec 2] Why? I thought people would love a prequel about a dead character that won't advance the plot of the MCU and it's an origin story.
    [Disney Exec 3] Here's a suitcase of 15 million dollars. Give it to Robert Downey Jr. and put him in some reshoots.
    [Disney Exec 1] There's also the issue of nobody knowing who the villain, Taskmaster, is.
    [Disney Exec 2] We can get people excited by adding a 3 minute segment to the Avengers Game trailer that explains his powers and background.
    [Disney Exec 3] Tell me again why we didn't hire voices that could impersonate MCU actors...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    ^ Top  
  22. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    Nobody could have seen that coming /s

^ Top  
  23. Adon Prophet

Adon
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Holy shit this looks stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Have western devs ever played a good action game in their life?
    This shit just reminds me of the Arkham games and the new Spiderman game. I mean they even copy the same type of enemies. Plus the level is just so on-rails it's disgusting.
    Also, how about some colour no?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)