Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to start a new game of BG 1 and 2, but don’t know if I should start with EE version 2.5, wait for 2.6, or stick with originals and mod.

I really like the work beamdog did with Icewind Dale EE. It remains the only IE game I beat, other than BG 1

Any advice?

Just play it and make your own mind up - V2.5 was supposed to be "the milesone". On the other hand, if you took Beamdog at face value when it was released (what was it? 2012?) they are the curators or the IE and released it in a bug-free museum quality state of vintage gaming quality.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Can you guys help me out with a problem?

I started a BG1 EE game as a Stalker (a ranger who has high sneak and can backstab) but backstab doesn't seem to be working. Anyone know what's up?

I do 10 or more damage when I attack an enemy in sneak mode, but I should be doing twice this (At my level I have a x2 modifier).

I'm duel weilding plus1 long swords and wearing studded leather armour. My THAC0 is 11/13 for my two hands and my damage is 10 to 17 on either side. My strength is 18/00 and I'm level five.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

I started a BG1 EE game as a Stalker (a ranger who has high sneak and can backstab) but backstab doesn't seem to be working. Anyone know what's up?

I do 10 or more damage when I attack an enemy in sneak mode, but I should be doing twice this (At my level I have a x2 modifier).

I'm duel weilding plus1 long swords and wearing studded leather armour. My THAC0 is 11/13 for my two hands and my damage is 10 to 17 on either side. My strength is 18/00 and I'm level five.

They keep bodging it. Last time I played I correctly changed Minsc to a Stalker with shadowkeepr (leveled hime fomr level 0) and there was no backstab progression at all. I know that because I checked the CLAB files and in the original game they got the backstab modifiers under "SPCL332" and there was no such entry in V2.5. So either they've done it a different way, or the modifiers are different at level 1 - in other words you might have to wait until you get a higher level. At one point Stalker were getting x4 backstab.

Quick and dirty fix: level your staler to at least level 20 and backstab something.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Yes, you're a shit-stain for playing EE in the first place. (Brofist this post is you're not a shit-stain who plays EE.)

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Also (in the original BG2) backstab was x1 until level 9 @x2 then x3 at level 17. So you wont do twice as much damage until level 9. If you're playing as a Stalker and like the idea of scouting, pay attention to creature spawns - last time I played they would spawn within the fog of war between my Ranger scout and the party, completely bodging the point of scouting. They also borked level spawning at rest and upset the balance of the game. A modded BG2 engine (which I'm playing now) has neither of these problems and can be balanced properly so that it isn't one step away from an elder scrolls game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Lilura shit-tagging everyone again. Maybe consider for one of your next write-ups that there are some postives to some of the mods that can only be insalled in the BG2 engine? For example: your reactivity article could have been expanded a bit by the BGTrilogy inserting more commands and selection sounds (including rare select sounds) and inter party banter. I'm playing an evil party and there are some real gems here that I only ever got to hear while browsing with Nearinfinity. Kagain is one of my new favourite characters: "You pugs are starting to piss me off!". Also, Xzar is a genuine freak now; there's a rare select from Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector. Classic stuff.
:incline:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
For example: your reactivity article could have been expanded a bit by the BGTrilogy inserting more commands and selection sounds (including rare select sounds) and inter party banter.

I'm not interested in "expanding" my BG narrative for shit-stains, though. BGT, Tutu and EE are for shit-stains. I'm only interested in the authoritative narrative that has been standard for 20 years. Even the Codex doesn't match that: they write "retrospectives" based on modded games.

My eschewing of modded/EE narratives has also resulted in 1 mil views per year, so I'm certainly not going to change my tune based on the lame-o views of "Chippy of the RPGCodex" - who is but a shitposter lost in the shuffle, and unread.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
i don't get it, BGT and BWS are pretty great

a labor of love from the community

Of course you don't get it. You're "Delterius," whose pathetic claim to "journalistic" recognition (if you want to call it that) stems from the RPGCodex forums. Nothing you say in regard to the Infinity Engine holds any weight, whereas, as the leading commentator for such, everything I say does.

Delterius

Arcane
i don't get it, BGT and BWS are pretty great

a labor of love from the community

Of course you don't get it. You're "Delterius," whose pathetic claim to "journalistic" recognition (if you want to call it that) stems from the RPGCodex forums. Nothing you say in regards to the Infinity Engine holds any weight, whereas, as the leading commentator for such, everything I say does.
so you really like wands of monster summoning sims

I'm as purist as one can get and I do not agree with Lilura.

For example, she advocates for Ascension (That I personally find bad especially in the chance of the last battle against the final boss), while I like more Wheels of Prophecy that actually adds new dialogues while not changing the final fight.

Also, ToB feels heavily railroaded. I want to call Melissan on his charade and you simply can't in Ascension, while, if you are smart and wisdom enough in Wheels of Prophecy, you can read over her charade and for a little change in dialogues, it provides pay off and you aren't behaving like a monkey thanks to the dialogues that are there.

And yes, I like BGT too.

BWS, I'm sorry, but it is not great anymore. Not only it is not supported anymore, but Roxanne's version has issues. A friend currently playing it is having a tons of issues.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Codex got it wrong, Lilura isn't a Chinese Dragon Lady; I think that she's a Drow matriarch that got imprisoned here by some higher power from whatever Drow city she was ruling over.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm as purist as one can get and I do not agree with Lilura.

I really doubt that you are as "purist" as I. See, I play all IE games in the original dev-released state based on original CD installations viewed on a Trinitron CRT monitor.

For example, she advocates for Ascension (That I personally find bad especially in the chance of the last battle against the final boss), while I like more Wheels of Prophecy that actually adds new dialogues while not changing the final fight.

I don't advocate Ascension. And I don't advocate SoA and ToB. Why? Because I don't advocate what I deem to be shit.

And yes, I like BGT too.

It goes without saying that you are free to like whatever you wish. It also goes without saying that you are a lamer for playing BG in the BG2 engine.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Edwin: "Elminster this! Elminster that! Give me two thousand years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!" Also:
"I do not understand this mouse magic that allows you to control me?".
"Please do not bother me while I plot to overthrow you".

More talent in just one of those sentences than all of the writing in EE/SOD. We all know Lilura is tempted really. :D

atalero

Barely Literate
I want to start a new game of BG 1 and 2, but don’t know if I should start with EE version 2.5, wait for 2.6, or stick with originals and mod.

I really like the work beamdog did with Icewind Dale EE. It remains the only IE game I beat, other than BG 1

Any advice?

Just play it and make your own mind up - V2.5 was supposed to be "the milesone". On the other hand, if you took Beamdog at face value when it was released (what was it? 2012?) they are the curators or the IE and released it in a bug-free museum quality state of vintage gaming quality.

I really want to support their work, but find the constant patches confusing. I liked what they did with Icewind Dale.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Any advice?
Yeah, go play Planescape: Torment. It's short.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you positioning yourself behind the mobs?

Positioning doesn't matter; you need only be invisible or stealthed. Also, you must have a weapn that can backstab, and IIRC you can't use heavy armour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom