Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - OUT NOW

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Sep 18, 2018.

1. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    They're doing community service. How else would inXile know there are bugs? It's not like they have any money left for proper testing - elite hookers don't come cheap.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Themadcow Savant

Themadcow
    Parrots:
    I just googled "7th Circle" and the youtube results were not what I was expecting, but fun none the less.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I am more interested in all those that apparently finished it,like ACG :lol::lol::lol:. What a lying cuck that one.

Hunger for new rpgs and high tolerance for bugs and bad graphic :). The game is ok,even runs ok after the first few hours of horror. Still a patch will be welcomed.....since i can't finish it.

^ Top  
  4. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Oh well, that means I should actually wait till at least the first path before actually playing it... :|

^ Top  
  5. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    You're the one intentionally misrepresenting all criticisms as a dislike of change.

It's clear to many people that this game is severely dumbed-down and throws out many fundamental RPG concepts in favor of its battle system. The developers wanted something more strategic, and ended up with something severely restrictive, kludgey, and unintuitive.... but not much more fun. It's so baffling because there's no reason for this, these goals are not mutually exclusive; just look at Starcrawlers.

They have the gall to slap a franchise label on the cover? This does not feel like a Bard's Tale game. This game was made by people who dislike Bard's Tale and think they know better. "Oh you want to create your party? Fuck you. You want to level grind to get stronger? That's so gauche, you prole. You want to have a bunch of classes? Fuck off. Oh you want to change classes? We're revoking your sale. You're not woke enough to play our game."

Hell, the backers don't even seem to like it. Who did they even make this for?

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Not played something so enterta
    Cause its a really good game under the countless glitches and bugs and we do enjoy gaming. Not played something so entertaining since long. Alas if my main quest is bugged like fantadomat i may have to stop too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Yes.

People complaining about what it isn't.

Such as a good game.

Perfectly legit reason for complaining.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I read the InXile faq on Wasteland 2 and they claim they changed the encounters, how much actually?

The number one reason I hated Wasteland 2 original was that pretty much 60% of the game were extra long pure combat gauntlets against copy pasted boring enemies.

There wasn't a sense of clever design on the encounters and areas, with alot of areas being really uninteresting design wise and quite linear.

The true name for Wasteland 2 should be Fillerland 2.

You had really fun places like Titan Valley and the polite people town but that was too little reward for alot of torture. Im asking because Im really skrptical of an update turning garbage like Ag Center and Highpool on something like the Titan Valley.

Did the DC changed the story and they actually added NPCs and new quests to flesh out their half assed post apocalyptic setting? I was bored out of my mind how you could transplant most of the bland garbage areas on any other post apocalyptic setting and nobody would notice it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. mustawd. Magister

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    Am I the only one here that doesn’t find this unfun?

It creates restraints on what you can do. I mean forget how blobbers are usually designed. This idea sounds cool to me. Now is it executed well? That I dunno.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    sounds like a very good reason to wait for patches unless you want to have your progressed annulled and stop enjoying it

^ Top  
  11. mustawd. Magister

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    If it’s fun who cares how much it adheres to old systems?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    ha, clusterfucks like this game are so great. It's going to be comparatively boring when Kingmaker comes out and everyone is just playing it and the posts about it are just "yeah this is pretty good"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I actually like this idea too as you simply dont unload all the best attacks you have every turn and force you to make choices but, yeah, if they balance this bad, this mechanic could end up being more frustrating than anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Since the quest that impedes progress due to being bugged is called "Bones in the Fog" can we do the time-honored Codex tradition and re-name it to "Bones in the Fag"?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Feyd Rautha Augur Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I had a crash that cost me a lot of progress and then a bug stopping me from enhancing one of those elven weapons. Having said that I think the game is loads of fun and I don't regret backing it. Hope they can sort this out.

What needs to be done now is some serious optimizing and then phone release. That's the way to play it.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    boners in the fog

surprise buttsecks stops your progress

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    Sure it might be futile at this point in the industry to rage on bad releases and try and play games like that, but then what else do we do, just thank developers for a full price alpha version and allow them go unpunished for garbage releases and using that as a scummy way of getting cash and fixing their mismanaged development? I say rage on anyway, rage is the most noble of emotions and the universe needs rage.

• Rage Rage x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    The biggest difference is the graphics. The basically rebuild entire game, and it isn't some minor polish, it's a huge leap, especially in the environments. So the perception of areas is completely different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    [​IMG] The codex will bash it to high heavens,for the first few days that is. After that people will begin talking about old games as usual,just look at this thread.

^ Top  
  20. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    ive heard you work in inxile now. How are purchase numbers looking?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Savant

rusty_shackleford
    Parrots:
    probably looking for a new employer now

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    we're at a stage of media saturation where I think it's sinking in for developers that they can't do this and expect people to stick around. Unless you're a high-profile AAA game you're competing with vast amounts of other people for a moment of players' time, and if your game is bugged or runs like shit then people will move on to the next game and they won't come back. They won't wait for fixes, because there are plenty of games out there that are already fixed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Spoiler: they balanced it bad.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    It's not fun.

Putting octagonal wheels on your car will restrict how fast you can go, that doesn't make it a good idea.

It's like modern art. "Wow it's bold and original." No, it's shit on a plate. "It's SUPPOSED to be shit! That's the 'art.'" :roll:

Some developers change things without realizing some things are the way they are for a reason. It's like how after years of messing with different control schemes, all games more or less control the same now. What works, spreads.

There's a reason why tactical games tend to do X actions per character per turn: it works. It makes sense. People get it. It's intuitive.

Classes are fun. More classes = more fun. Weapon categories and effects are fun. Leveling up is fun. Exploring freely is fun. Abilities and spells are fun. More abilities and more spells are fun.

"Fuck you," says Bard's Tale 4, "You only get 3 abilities. You only get four classes. You can't have a full party until we let you. You can't level up past what WE say. You have to walk in this line. We're shitting on this plate and you can't stop us."

[​IMG]

I ain't even mad. I was a little hyped for this game, but this is just baffling. Wasteland 2 played it pretty safe and did all right, what happened with this? I've said already, I don't blame them for trying new things. But I do blame them for sticking with a half-baked idea even after it was a clear dud.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. theSavant Erudite

theSavant
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]: not sure if serious

However, now that you mention that, it reminds me that they probably make a console release later. And there might come one good thing with a console release: full keyboard controls (I hope they offer these for PC users as well...). Or are keyboard controls already well?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)