Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Heresiarch

Prophet
Coz finding the right torrentz is teh hard

And dl stuff needs tiem

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes IWDI and IWDII are worth playing.

Did any of the IE modding teams ever attempt something like IcewindGate (BGII in the IWDII engine), specifically IWD ported into the IWDII engine?. I know that IcewindGate died and failed, as some functions in BGII do not exist in IWDII (such as there is NO way to check if you are casting spells when in Athkatla, to name one of many) so it failed.

That said, IWD in the IWDII engine would be awesome.

Johannes

Arcane
I've tried IWD 1 and found it pretty boring and quit. Combat consisted too much of just fighting boring trash mobs, be it goblins or yetis or skeletons. Rarely there was an interesting encounter with enemy mages, archers etc. (and even those felt worse than what I remember of BG2 for example) but vast majority of time all I did was run 1 guy around as decoy while others shoot at them enemies.

Maybe the encounter quality got better later in the game but I couldn't be assed to find out.

visions

Arcane
phelot said:
I don't mind IE combat. Sure it's missing a lot of things that probably should be there, but I always found it to be fun. Kind of like a RTS in a way.

This.

As for the supposedly inane puzzles in IWD 2, I only remember two, the volcano timefuck thing and pathfinding in the haunted forest. Didn't really mind the forest, the volcano was annoying though.

Jaesun said:
That said, IWD in the ToEE engine would be awesome.

Fixed that for you sir.

Any way IWD is a decent party based hack and slash/dungeon crawler. If you like the genre it is absolutely worth playing, encounter design and visuals are much better than Baldur's Gate if one is to compare them. Though one do miss turn based combat, the whole click fest characters running around like crazy with shitty path finding can get frustrating. Thankfully though there is no Nashkel mines in this game.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Buttom line: If you don't mind the IE combat, IWD is a nice dungeon crawler with good visuals, great atmosphere and music etc.

Personaly, I think my taste in games is not refined enough to OMG HATE THE IE COMBAT. Sure, it's not Jagged Alliance 2 but somehow it always felt fun to me. I'd rather play BG 2 or IWD then the oh so "good for what it is" popamole shooter Mass Effect 2.

visions

Arcane
The ironic thing about IWD 2's visuals is that I remember when it came out it got quite a bit of flak for its "dated" look, yet in hindsight it has aged a lot better visually than games that came out roughly around the same time and were praised for their looks, like Morrowind and NWN. Kind of captain obvious here but still find it somewhat funny how journos were writing stuff like "the visuals are awfully dated compared to the greatness of some other recent titles like NWN and MW" or whatever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Johannes said:
I've tried IWD 1 and found it pretty boring and quit. Combat consisted too much of just fighting boring trash mobs, be it goblins or yetis or skeletons. Rarely there was an interesting encounter with enemy mages, archers etc. (and even those felt worse than what I remember of BG2 for example) but vast majority of time all I did was run 1 guy around as decoy while others shoot at them enemies.

Maybe the encounter quality got better later in the game but I couldn't be assed to find out.

Jebus C Rist

Dark Matter

Prophet
For some reason, I found the combat in IWD to be much more fun than in BG and PST.

Also, the setting, visuals, music, voice acting are all superb.

I would definitely recommend it, but then again I'm not one of the people who can't stand IE combat. As far as hack'n'slash games go, I would pick IWD over Diablo any day.

Phelot

Arcane
visions said:
As for the supposedly inane puzzles in IWD 2, I only remember two, the volcano timefuck thing and pathfinding in the haunted forest. Didn't really mind the forest, the volcano was annoying though.

Yes, I happened to have a ranger in my party when I played through the forest and I can only imagine what it would be like without one.

I vaguely remember the volcano... wasn't there something about having to finish a quest a certain way or it keeps repeating? I do remember it being annoying, but don't quite recall why.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I liked IWD very much, in no small part because of the settings.

Altogether, it is a solid game, maybe not outstanding as BG, but still very very good.

I recommend you play it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's a dungeon crawler. If you are looking for an EPIC ROLEPLAING EXPERIENCE, then well, you know what to play.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
soggie said:
Yes. Forgive the perspective, forgive the story, and just play it.

If you're a connoisseur of quality RPGs, you'll be sucked in the moment the title screen pops up. The music is fucking awesome. The atmosphere is just right.

Damn. Just play it.
Allllriiiight.... I'll buy it just to support the devs. And maybe I'll be able to forgive the perpective.

made said:
I never get the beef people have with that perspective. Is it because stuff is tilted to the side as well as backwards? How about Dark Sun or Albion - is that bearable?
Yup. I found both to be mighty fine.
As I said, KotC's perpective is more like the one the Ultima titles have (well the newer ones, obviously). Maybe because the perspective of objects is a different one than the perspective of walls, etc.

And this difference is more extreme in KotC/Ultima than in Albion/Dark Sun. I just looked at some screens and while the perspective in DS is indeed strange, at least everything is depicted from the same strange perspective. But I never thought about that topic that much ;)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I deleted it (IWD II ) from my hardrive.

:yeah:

Not before completing the Heart of fury mode with a broken party though
(removed level cap, Monks/Sorcerors).

piydek

Cipher
Both are awesome. Great art and atmosphere. And the first one has a better story and better story development than for example BG2. Anyone who thinks differently is a retard and a sheep.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
As has been said many times here, the music alone is almost worth it by itself. The tune that plays when you enter Kuldahar? Did I get that right? By Jeremy Soule I think? My bad, Inon Zur. Is a very memorable one.

Agreed about the atmosphere.

kmonster

Augur
The IWD games are better than the BG games. Less mainstream and less marketing oriented but more quality.

Johannes

Arcane
Crispy said:
Johannes said:
Combat consisted too much of just fighting boring trash mobs, be it goblins or yetis or skeletons.

Welcome to starting-level Dungeons and Dragons. FFS moran
Huh, so it's ok to have boring enemies because it is common with the system they used?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yes. It is. There are traditions to maintain, you know.

This is Forgotten Realms. You're all very raw, new adventurers. Goblins and orcs infest this part of the world. You're going to encounter them.

What would you rather have? Rats?

Edit: I wish I were your DM. I would throw so many goblins at you you'd be crying into your character sheet.

Radisshu

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
My main beef with trying this series is that Infinity Engine combat is shit. BG2 already has just about more of it than I can stand, I don't think I want to play a hack-and-slash on the same engine.

It can get a little chaotic, but I think it's very manageable.

Heresiarch

Prophet
bonescraper said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

I'll just leave this here.

OMG that is the awesome :D

Acquiring ii through less physical means now.

BTW, shall I acquire 1 too? I dunno when you guys say iwd is worth it, you mean the whole iwd series or just the first one.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1 is usually (and rightly) considered superior to 2, so you should defiintely acquire it. Better music, a more cohesive structure, better atmosphere, better story development (not that it matters in a dungeon crawler)... besides, playing them in sequence is fun so you get to revisit some familiar places.

bonescraper

2 is usually (and rightly) considered superior to 1, so you should defiintely acquire it. Better writing, better mechanics, better interface, more races, classes, spells, more thoughtful tactical encounters and there's even some C&C (don't make the paladin your public relations guy though :D). But please, play them in sequence anyway. They're both awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom